Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem

What is the risk of a thermocoupler failing??? A thermocoupler is designed to be a fail safe. It generates a small voltage if the pilot light is on, which lets the water heater know to allow gas to flow openly. Gas will only flow openly if the pilot light is on to hear the thermocouple. A failed thermocouple will always shut off the gas, so I can't imagine anything else happening to a simple design. If something serious happened to the water heater, it seems like it would not be due to a modification to the thermo couple. Please, anyone, correct me if in wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:45:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
What is the risk of a thermocoupler failing??? A thermocoupler is designed to be a fail safe. It generates a small voltage if the pilot light is on, which lets the water heater know to allow gas to flow openly. Gas will only flow openly if the pilot light is on to hear the thermocouple. A failed thermocouple will always shut off the gas, so I can't imagine anything else happening to a simple design. If something serious happened to the water heater, it seems like it would not be due to a modification to the thermo couple. Please, anyone, correct me if in wrong.

I say you have it right. A lot of irrational hysteria going on he

"I'm just curious as to how many of these dumb @#$%@ are still alive after defeating a safety device. These thermocouples have a thermal protective device built into them!!!! "

Which clearly demonstrates that the poster is clueless. I didn't
see anyone saying to defeat a safety device, only how to mount
a thermocouple that has different threads. Thermal protective device
built in? That's nuts too. They work exactly as you say, generating
a small voltage that the gas valve has to see to allow the gas to
flow. If the thermocouple fails, falls off, then there is no voltage
and the gas will not turn on. It's a failsafe design.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 2:17:01 PM UTC-7, waterheater wrote:
This is the best solution I could find for the left hand thread problem (as posted earlier in this thread):

American Water Heater Company Gas Enhancement Kit 4040T NG
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242967-135-6...ductId=3434834

I had to drive an hour to a Lowe's that had the part, but it is worth it to have hot water again. It works perfectly, other than I can't fit my old external cover on now. It includes the adapter to change it from a left hand thread to a right hand and was pretty inexpensive. Apparently American Water Heater Company has some sort of safety detection device built into the left hand thread and this enhancement kit maintains that functionality while changing it to a right had thread.

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:56:53 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
The thermocouple on my 7yo Whirlpool water heater went out Sat. The stores open
on the weekend had only right hand thread thermocouples, and as far as I could
find out, the manufacturer would sell me a conversion kit for $31 which would
take 10 days to receive. (out of warrantee)

My solution: I carefully clamped the threaded fitting on my old thermocouple
end-to-end in my vice so one face was up, then used a 1" cutting disc in my
dremel tool to cut a slot into the fitting so I could slide it off of the tube.
I slid the threaded fitting on my new thermocouple down out of the way, then
slipped the slotted one over the tube and carefully screwed it into the valve
fitting. It works perfectly.

If you have a several years old Whirlpool or American Products water heater, you
might want to check to see if it has the left hand thread on the thermocouple.
If it does, and it is still in warrantee, contact the manufacturer now so you
can get the conversion kit for free ahead of the time you really need it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 9:56:49 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
[...]

The early symptom of failure on my thermocouple is that it took 1 1/2-2 minutes
of holding down the pilot light to get it to re-light and stay lit. The new one
took about 20 seconds.

I put the old left handed nut in a vise and used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot along its length wide enough to accommodate the copper wire. (Note: the copper wire is reluctant to come out of the slot when the nut is clamped in the vise.) Cleaned up the threads with some light sand paper, applied a small amount of oil and made sure it threaded into the control unit. I then slid the right handed nut down the copper wire on a generic thermocouple and installed the thermocouple with the modified nut. It worked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brilliant. Worked perfectly. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 21:21:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Brilliant. Worked perfectly. Thank you.

Great, whatever you are talking about, or to whom ????? ....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't understand the cutting method. I will have to have someone cut the left hand threads off. I can't picture how it works or is cut. One person posted a video and the picture is not clear. I am without hot water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F.

Thanks....worked like a champ. I called Whirlpool, The guy told me my unit was 15 years old and they could not locate the my serial number in their system. He suggested a buy a new water heater.

Lets just say I was less than polite.

I used you method to adapt a universal thermal coupler. Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2016 8:49 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks! This post was extremely helpful. Plumber came out and quoted $700 to retrofit the thermostat and burner because of left hand design. He said he had to order the parts for tomorrow. He left and I did some research, I cancelled after finding this post. Total repair took me an hour and now my wife is calmed down because we have hot water again and don't have to wait 24hrs. That's priceless.

Once in a while, this list helps someone. And,
that kindness sure helps keep me going.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! IT WORKED!!

For the others reading this I am going to explain Bob's method a little different if that helps for the less skilled. Snap a picture of the burner assembly before pulling the old thermocouple out to ensure proper installation..

The fitting is left threaded and you will not find this in any of the big box stores or even specialty warehouses. There are two options to dealing with this.

Since being without hot water for a week is not going to fly we need fast results. Go to Zoro parts and order the part and have it take its sweet time arriving while we do Bob's option. It is always nice to have a back up and for 10 bucks its worth it.

Option 1:

Take the thermocouple and secure it in a vice. I don't have one so I used a pair of vice grips and clamped it to a piece of wood. You can always put it on a curb or deck and have someone stand on it if you lack a clamp.

The threaded nut has to be laying flat, not upward. With your dremel tool and metal cut-off disk,begin to cut a channel along the nut until you reach the copper wire. The goal is to create a channel large enough to allow the copper wire to pop in a out easily.

Eventually you will create a "jacket" version so that you can pop it on the side of the new thermocouple. You don't want to go too crazy and carve off half of it. Just enough to have it pop in and out from the side.

Take the modified nut and practice popping it on the side of the old copper wire to ensure it works. ALSO, practice screwing it in the box. You don't want to put it all together and find its messed up.

Purchase a universal thermocouple from Lowes. I bought a "Rheem Gasket Replacement Kit with Thermocouple" because the tip of it looked more like the shape of the dead one. A few bucks more and extra gasket is nice. Total cost is around $18.

Take the new thermocouple and slide its current nut down and pop the modified one on top. Gently screw it in while holding the wire center. It is going to be a little wobbly so it might take a few tries to seat it completely in. Once you see it seated correctly its time to put it all together.

Take it back out and put the new thermocouple in the mount. Be sure to place the tip at the same depth as the previous one or as close as you can. Refer to your snap shot. Not sure if a little bit off is going to mess this up.

After all is assembled perform the normal pilot starting procedures.

Option 2:

If you don't have a dremel, you could use a hacksaw and a lot of patience or buy a cut off disk skinny enough to create that channel if you have a power drill. Take the dead thermocouple with you just to be sure the cut width matches.

All thanks and credit goes to Bob F. We have hot water again and a modified nut that works with those universal thermocouples.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 4:22:28 PM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Alphahozer wrote:
On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 12:56:53 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!!
You saved our Independence Day week!
Did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly!

I wish I knew how to post a pic...

You are welcome!

This has surely been my longest actively appreciated post.

Most of us can't get posts with pictures anyway. Put it on tinypic, or some
other picture posting site, then post a url to the pic here if you really want
to.

was a great idea saved time and money thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 12:56:49 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
[...]

This listing by Bob F is oh so accurate and effective! On 1/2/2017 here in Buffalo, Bob's fix came into play on a non-functioning water heater. The water heater pilot would not stay on due to an aged thermocouple so it was replaced with a new one only to find out that the removed defective thermocouple was indeed reversed thread (lefty tighty). The replacement thermocouple that was installed could not be hooked up as it was regularly threaded or "righty tighty."

Bob's solution with the dremel tool was used and it worked to perfection! The old left tightened fitting was removed from the defective thermocouple with a length wise slot made with a dremel tool. The left tightened fitting was removed and placed above the fitting on the new right tighten replacement thermocouple. The new thermocouple screwed into place into the reversed threaded junction on the hot water heater and hot water was possible once more.

Thank you so much Bob for the solution as everywhere we called no one had any
reverse threaded thermocouples. Kits were available online to adapt right tighten thermocouples to be used in reverse threaded thermocouple heaters, but the costs were jacked up in regards to "adapter kits" that would be sent to you after you doled out the ridiculous quick shipping fees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Threads turn right, end of story. Anyone designing something the other way round is a ****ing idiot (or Muslim) and must be sent into the centre of the sun.

--
If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Actually, prior to finding this thread, I thought of doing this, but lacked the confidence and tools to do it well. However, after reviewing the repeated successes, I gave it whirl (pun intended).
Took a very hot shower this a.m.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks for the info i did this a few days ago and it worked great. thanks again
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob....You are the BEST!
Was totally stuck, no solution to be bought on Saturday if ever in this town so I had nothing to lose. Wasn't hard and works perfectly.
Thank you. I owe you a beer.
Doug

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 11:56:49 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I had the same situation. beautiful solution, it worked perfectly thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

This guy is awsome. Thanks bro

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:29:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

This guy is awsome. Thanks bro

Who dat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did the split on LH fitting and slipped over new thermocouples worked perfect, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you Bob!

Just used my Dremel and did exactly as advised on my John Wood water heater - after I was told that it was just better to replace the whole tank.

Saved myself a good chunk of money!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Worked!!! Happy wife = happy life.

Question....

Is there any danger of malfunction having that gap in the connector?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 4:49:05 PM UTC-8, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

those are the best quotes ever!!! I will use the meetings one forever!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2017 02:58 AM, wrote:
Worked!!! Happy wife = happy life.

Question....

Is there any danger of malfunction having that gap in the connector?

If your insurance co catches it they might refuse a claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 1:58:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Worked!!! Happy wife = happy life.

Question....

Is there any danger of malfunction having that gap in the connector?

If you're referring to the 'keeper' nut, universal thermocouple kits come with a variety of fittings including both left and right hand thread nuts that are slotted so they will slide over the small thermocouple tube then screw into the pilot light assembly to hold the large end of the thermocouple in place. It's been years since I purchased a kit. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Spares2go-Uni.../dp/B00S4UQFMU

https://tinyurl.com/ybh7pg6d

[8~{} Uncle Thermo Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob! Late night fix. Worked great. Going to get me by until I can order a new left hand thread thermo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem "Same Thought"

[...]

Was confronted with same problem, and made same conclusion. A simple cut and all worked well. Glad to see others still thinking "Outside the Box"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Life saver! Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, did the fix as you explained, my water heater is 3 years out of warranty. As far as i can tell it all works fine. Happy to have this as an option especially on a tank that may not have many more years ahead of it. $10 fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

U rock. Funny how the obvious somtimes is not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are a genius. You are a hero. Thank you for saving my family from 5 days shipping time for that part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 10:56:49 AM UTC-6, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Bob F. Thank you!

I did this on a John Woods hot water tank. It worked flawlessly.

The stores were telling me to replace my entire burner assembly. They wanted $170 Canada bucks. The new thermocouple was $7. You are my hero.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2017 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

If your house burns down because of your cheapskate hack, your insurance company could refuse to pay the claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You saved our weekend & we can now bathe and wash dishes! The guys at the hardware store looked at my husband like he was from Mars when he asked them for a left-handed thermocouple. Had never heard of it. We bought the thermo., discovered it was RH in the parking lot, returned it, and then went back and bought it again after reading your article. We promised the store we wouldn't be back today! It worked! Thanks to you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2017 9:13 AM, Jess Sain wrote:
On 12/19/2017 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

It hasn't burned down yet. Sorry to disappoint you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I had the same problem, no one has a simple LH thread thermocouple. Replacement is a pilot and thermocouple unit for about $35, but an hour and a half away, or it can be shipped at additional cost. I followed your lead, cut a slot in the nut lengthwise, put it above the nut on a new thermocouple and it works fine. My water heater is a 16 year old whirlpool, so I hated to sink much more into it. Thanks for the insight.