Weight Limit on Toilets

Old September 15th 12, 10:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weight Limit on Toilets

With people getting fatter and fatter in the 21st Century, one has to
consider the weight limit for toilets. I have never seen any toilet
listing it's weight capacity. I'd guess that all toilets are made to
easily handle an average 200lb or less person, and very likely 300lbs.
But what happens when a 400 or 500 or larger person sits on them? It
seems that there are more and more of these heavyweight people in this
obese generation that we live in.

I've heard about toilet seats breaking apart regularly from obese
persons, but what about the porcelein toilet bowl itself? How come none
of the manufacturers list a weight limit for them?

By the way, I recently was told of a very large heavy man who lived in a
trailer house, getting in bed, and having all the bed legs go thru the
particle board floor, and also stepping thru the same floor in other
parts of the trailer. Then he also had one leg of a kitchen chair go
thru that floor. There again, no one seems to list the weight limits.
Regarding this individual, a friend who does construction was asked to
repair this floor. The owner refused to spend the money to buy 3/4"
plywood to cover the entire trailer floor, and only wanted to patch the
broken spots. It was reported that he added at least one more broken
spot weekly. The construction guy refused the job, saying he would not
be responsible when the obese man went thru another spot.

Old September 17th 12, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:11:39 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

Lots of problems with commercial wall mount toilets these days from obese people. Some places are refusing designs that use them even though they make cleaning the bathroom a lot easier.
Old September 18th 12, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can say that our fairly typical (maybe a bit better than average quality) floor-mounted toilet has stood up to a 400 pound relative for years with no problems except for the mounting bolts loosening up a bit, even though it doesn't sit entirely square on the floor. If the bottom edge has held up under these conditions, I would guess that the bowl could stand considerably more.