Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weight Limit on Toilets

With people getting fatter and fatter in the 21st Century, one has to
consider the weight limit for toilets. I have never seen any toilet
listing it's weight capacity. I'd guess that all toilets are made to
easily handle an average 200lb or less person, and very likely 300lbs.
But what happens when a 400 or 500 or larger person sits on them? It
seems that there are more and more of these heavyweight people in this
obese generation that we live in.

I've heard about toilet seats breaking apart regularly from obese
persons, but what about the porcelein toilet bowl itself? How come none
of the manufacturers list a weight limit for them?

By the way, I recently was told of a very large heavy man who lived in a
trailer house, getting in bed, and having all the bed legs go thru the
particle board floor, and also stepping thru the same floor in other
parts of the trailer. Then he also had one leg of a kitchen chair go
thru that floor. There again, no one seems to list the weight limits.
Regarding this individual, a friend who does construction was asked to
repair this floor. The owner refused to spend the money to buy 3/4"
plywood to cover the entire trailer floor, and only wanted to patch the
broken spots. It was reported that he added at least one more broken
spot weekly. The construction guy refused the job, saying he would not
be responsible when the obese man went thru another spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:11:39 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

Lots of problems with commercial wall mount toilets these days from obese people. Some places are refusing designs that use them even though they make cleaning the bathroom a lot easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All the toilets are now made in China.
Ever see a fat Chinese person?
Now we need to learn to eat like them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can say that our fairly typical (maybe a bit better than average quality) floor-mounted toilet has stood up to a 400 pound relative for years with no problems except for the mounting bolts loosening up a bit, even though it doesn't sit entirely square on the floor. If the bottom edge has held up under these conditions, I would guess that the bowl could stand considerably more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:05:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

All the toilets are now made in China.
Ever see a fat Chinese person?

No, no, no. They're made *OF* china.

Now we need to learn to eat like them.

No ****ing thanks! You're welcome to eat ****, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gary-s, Philip Casale wrote:
I know that most of not all toilets you find in stores pass the industry ANSI
Z124 standard, which must be capable of holding up a 300lb load, as well as
minor rocking back and forth with that load. So I would think all toilets are
only responsible for holding 300lbs, they probably are capable of closer to
400lbs or a little over that. Just because a slight 300lb rocking test would
require a significantly stronger base. But their not liable for anything over
than 300lbs it seems, according to those standards. This is a real interesting
topic tho, I wonder if there are specialty toilets made for morbidly obese
people capable of 700lb loads... its something I always thought about, but
never really looked into.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-713395-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Feb 2018 18:14:03 GMT, Philip Casale
m wrote:

replying to gary-s, Philip Casale wrote:
I know that most of not all toilets you find in stores pass the industry ANSI
Z124 standard, which must be capable of holding up a 300lb load, as well as
minor rocking back and forth with that load. So I would think all toilets are
only responsible for holding 300lbs, they probably are capable of closer to
400lbs or a little over that. Just because a slight 300lb rocking test would
require a significantly stronger base. But their not liable for anything over
than 300lbs it seems, according to those standards. This is a real interesting
topic tho, I wonder if there are specialty toilets made for morbidly obese
people capable of 700lb loads... it’s something I always thought about, but
never really looked into.

Yes there are stronger ones. The White House toilets were probably
standard ones that could hold 300, but some must have been changed
December of 2016. It's not noted explicitly. It just says "Plumbing".