Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie garage door opener won't work when temperature gets close to freezing

Opener kicks out when it gets just above freezing. I checked all the settings
and everything seemed right. Then I took a small heater and put it on the
front of the unit, after about ten minutes it worked fine. I have completed
this process several times. Any ideas as to why it works when warmed up?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-1158515-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2018 7:14 PM, rebel47 wrote:
Opener kicks out when it gets just above freezing. I checked all the
settings
and everything seemed right. Then I took a small heater and put it on the
front of the unit, after about ten minutes it worked fine. I have completed
this process several times. Any ideas as to why it works when warmed up?

Sticky lubricant? Gummed motor bearings? Does it try to start and just
sit there or does nothing happen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/18 7:14 PM, rebel47 wrote:
Opener kicks out when it gets just above freezing. I checked all the
settings
and everything seemed right. Then I took a small heater and put it on the
front of the unit, after about ten minutes it worked fine. I have
completed
this process several times. Any ideas as to why it works when warmed up?

If it is the screw drive type, I had same problem. You may need to
clean and regrease the screw. It gets gummy after some years and
sticks when cold. Genie says to use aircraft-grade Lubriplate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 7:51:14 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 2/7/18 7:14 PM, rebel47 wrote:
Opener kicks out when it gets just above freezing. I checked all the
settings
and everything seemed right. Then I took a small heater and put it on the
front of the unit, after about ten minutes it worked fine. I have
completed
this process several times. Any ideas as to why it works when warmed up?

If it is the screw drive type, I had same problem. You may need to
clean and regrease the screw. It gets gummy after some years and
sticks when cold. Genie says to use aircraft-grade Lubriplate.

Another possibility would be a cold solder joint or similar on the circuit board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Feb 2018 00:14:02 GMT, rebel47
m wrote:

Opener kicks out when it gets just above freezing. I checked all the settings
and everything seemed right. Then I took a small heater and put it on the
front of the unit, after about ten minutes it worked fine. I have completed
this process several times. Any ideas as to why it works when warmed up?

Genies wear so little clothes that of course they get cold.