Meth Lab Cleanup

Old September 8th 12, 01:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Meth Lab Cleanup

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone have experience with
this? What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.
Old September 8th 12, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 08:37:23 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone have experience with
this? What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.

I dont know anything about meth labs, but I'm sure the police or other
law enforcement people have removed all the drugs and/or materials used
to make the stuff. That leaves nothing to cleanup, except the
reputation of the house. A good scrubbing, some paint, and friendliness
to the neighbors should do the job.

Just my opinion.

Old September 8th 12, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone have experience with
this? What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.

I dont know anything about meth labs, but I'm sure the police or other
law enforcement people have removed all the drugs and/or materials used
to make the stuff. That leaves nothing to cleanup, except the
reputation of the house. A good scrubbing, some paint, and friendliness
to the neighbors should do the job.

Just my opinion.

DAGS living in a meth lab house. Many cases of people getting sick;
even after houses were "decontaminated", and cleared by state EPA and
heath officials. Houses sold without disclosure of the toxic
chemicals. Examples of poor decontamination procedures. A real
nightmare for families. Health officials that dummy up.

Chemicals poured into the yard that contaminates water supplies, soil,
aside from the structure damage.

The OP _should_ skip this house and run away. Problems are more than
just removing visible chemical containers. Expensive too!
Old September 8th 12, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good points but I'm not so sure that any chemical residues would be
dangerous. You can look up recipes on the web. Usually the biggest
problem with meth labs is the ether solvent which has caused many a fire
or explosion but would be long gone from a vacated lab. Side products
could have been washed down the drain readily to be disposed of. Maybe
if house had a well and septic, then you need worry about ground water
contamination.
Old September 8th 12, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

The OP _should_ skip this house and run away. Problems are more than
just removing visible chemical containers. Expensive too!

I know a couple have been declared the functional equivalent of
brownfields where the house had to be torn down, trucked off to a haz
mat landfill, and a lot of the dirt around the house removed.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Old September 8th 12, 06:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. *The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. *Anyone have experience with
this? *What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? *The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.

I dont know anything about meth labs, but I'm sure the police or other
law enforcement people have removed all the drugs and/or materials used
to make the stuff. *That leaves nothing to cleanup, except the
reputation of the house. *A good scrubbing, some paint, and friendliness
to the neighbors should do the job.

Just my opinion.

Since you don't know anything about meth labs
you shouldn't be saying that YOU think just scrubbing
and painting is enough to clean up the TOXIC waste
residues which are deposited on EVERY surface
by the vapors given off by the cook is enough to
declare the property "clean"... The proper response
is dictated by how long the meth lab was in operation
and how high the residual concentration of toxic
chemicals at the site... For a lab used only once
or twice perhaps removing all fabrics/carpets from
the house and scrubbing/painting as well as having
any HVAC ductwork professionally cleaned would
suffice but if the lab was in operation long enough so
that the soils around the perimeter of the house have
dangerous levels of chemicals present then the
structure is not worth saving and all the contaminated
soils would have to be removed...
Old September 8th 12, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

~ I know a couple (houses) have been declared the functional
~ equivalent of brownfields where the house had to be torn down,
~ trucked off to a haz mat landfill, and a lot of the dirt
~ around the house removed.

A process that the entire USA will be undergoing before too much
longer...
Old September 8th 12, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone have experience with
this? What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.

I dont know anything about meth labs, but I'm sure the police or other
law enforcement people have removed all the drugs and/or materials used
to make the stuff. That leaves nothing to cleanup, except the
reputation of the house. A good scrubbing, some paint, and friendliness
to the neighbors should do the job.

Just my opinion.

The chemicals that are used in making meth seep into the wood, carpets,
soil, etc.
If interested, here is a website outlining the problem.
http://www.kci.org/meth_info/meth_cleanup.htm

I hate the kind of chemo-phobia engendered by sites like this.

I'm a retired chemist, in his seventies, in good health. If chemicals
were this bad, I should have been long dead by now.

In fact, my graduate adviser, in his eighties, just got out of jail last
year after conviction 20 years ago of running a meth lab.
Old September 8th 12, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Considering the community where this home is located, I have my doubts
that the lab existed on the property for very long. That said, I did
more searching and found the regs for cleanup in my state...property
must undergo very specific sampling and testing before and after
cleanup, same for disposal of materials removed. Cleanup must be by
cert. contractors, although the law allows the owner to participate
under supervision by the contractor.

Little bit he
http://www.in.gov/meth/files/Cleanin...ab_Handout.pdf

Considering how often rental properties are mentioned on the ng, I
wonder how many owners know whether cleanup is covered by their
insurance co? In Indiana, the property cannot be sold or occupied until
it is clean )

http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03180/A00010.PDF?
http://www.in.gov/idem/4178.htm

Without the meth lab problem, the property would be ideal for
remodelling; it is a stable neighborhood with a lot of rehab going on
and properties selling fairly quickly (

Considering all of the gov. agencies involved in the meth problem, it
has to be a hugely expensive problem....the local gendarmes grab a lab
about every week or so around here.

Cleanup after tapping AL Bill Schwab Metalworking 23 October 20th 07 09:45 PM
Wet/Dry vac for outdoor cleanup? wgd Home Repair 9 September 21st 07 09:51 PM
Don't Do Meth!!! Joe Home Repair 0 January 31st 07 04:18 AM
New tile cleanup [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 20th 06 05:25 AM
Drug addicts and your identity. It's not just a meth. Carl Home Ownership 0 April 5th 06 10:54 PM