Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I may be just a grumpy old man but

I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:09:15 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit
card. I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or
not. I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's
negotiable if I say no?".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.

Don't answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.

Don't answer.

Some of them will call 3 times a week for weeks.
Then I give my wife my go-ahead to let 'em have it! lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.

Don't answer.

Your caller ID tell you it is computer generated? I'm impressed. Mine
only gives the number and sometimes the caller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote

I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

I once wrote software that phoned people and reminded them of their medical
appointments. The software was necessary because too many people were
missing appointments and making it hard on the staff and on others waiting
to get appointments. But the clinics didn't have the staff to personally
phone everyone and remind them.

There was no provision in the software to exclude phone numbers. The
software generated a log that showed whether the call was answered by a
human, voicemail/machine, busy, no answer, or disconnected. It was
excellent software if I do say so myself. The disconnected numbers would be
highlighted so that the receptionist could ask the patient for a corrected
phone number next time.

We never had any complaints about the software, and it decreased the number
of missed appointments from 15% (that's 1 in 6) to about 5% (1 in 20).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:43:38 -0700, "David Kaye"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote

[...]

I agree those are necessary, and I get quite a few of those. If you
listen to the whole message telling you to bring insurance and come
early and what ever else they can think of (maybe flu shot info), you
will finally get an option to press 1 to confirm.

I hang up on those too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I once wrote software that phoned people and reminded them of their medical
appointments. The software was necessary because too many people were
missing appointments and making it hard on the staff and on others waiting
to get appointments. But the clinics didn't have the staff to personally
phone everyone and remind them.

There was no provision in the software to exclude phone numbers. The
software generated a log that showed whether the call was answered by a
human, voicemail/machine, busy, no answer, or disconnected. It was
excellent software if I do say so myself. The disconnected numbers would be
highlighted so that the receptionist could ask the patient for a corrected
phone number next time.

We never had any complaints about the software, and it decreased the number
of missed appointments from 15% (that's 1 in 6) to about 5% (1 in 20).

We get those calls from our medical group. Quite handy, especially if
you were not sure of a time. We usually let them go to the machine,
but we don't object to getting them.

It is the credit card and burglar alarm scams and the like that I
object to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit
card. I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or
not. I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's
negotiable if I say no?".

KMart is horrible for this. You get a whole list of questions before
you can sign for your purchase. Last time I was there, the cashier,
apparently knowing how people hate this, just reached over the credit
card machine and randomly tapped his fingers on the screen, making it go
directly to the signature screen. I'm sure the bean counters love this!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2012 7:09 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

The only difference between a computer generated telemarketing call and
a real person telemarketer is hanging up without telling them to do that
physically impossible thingy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I hate computer generated phone calls.

Don't answer.

Your caller ID tell you it is computer generated? I'm impressed. Mine
only gives the number and sometimes the caller.

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends
or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk
to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my
assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit
card. *I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or
not. * I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's
negotiable if I say no?".

KMart is horrible for this. *You get a whole list of questions before
you can sign for your purchase. *Last time I was there, the cashier,
apparently knowing how people hate this, just reached over the credit
card machine and randomly tapped his fingers on the screen, making it go
directly to the signature screen. *I'm sure the bean counters love this!

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

The local K Marts look like they have begun their going out of
business sale. Dumpy dirty stores, OUT of many items, few clerks.....
they deserve to close....

then we have JCPENNEY my once favorite store espically for clothes.
Ron Johnson their new CEO has destroyed everything that was good about
penneys

Pushed the gay agenda with gay couples on their catalog front pages,
although hiring ellen wasnt over the top the gay couples were,,,,

ron cut inventory levels, cut workers so my local store is a dump,
with inventory everywhere.... including the floor.. the mens fitting
room was piles of non wanted clothes. they dont have enough help to
run the store.......

ron is a total jerk he should of test marketed his crackpot idea in a
100 stores before rolling it out to the entire chain..... its cut
sales around 30%. macys and kohls must be thrilled their sales are up.

the remaing help are chained to registers, and many having had their
commisioned pay end are leaving for other jobs.

penneys too deserve to go out of business, it was profitable till ron
arrived.....

he made a public statement that sales are better they are only off
another 7%...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:18:43 -0500, Doug wrote:

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit
card. I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or
not. I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's
negotiable if I say no?".

And the cashier, just to be nice, laughs even though she/he has heard this
a million times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:09*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you.

Let us know how that goes for you, if you live long enough to make it
through the auto-attendant menu-go-round.

If you manage to get through to a human, they don't care if you
cancel, there's another customer waiting to sign up.

The "new" customer metric: We'll swap dissatisfied customers and it
all evens out in the long run, and we save on customer service in the
short run by not having any.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 06:43:22 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple
things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 12:39:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends
or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk
to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my
assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.

I've done that, but in a couple of instances, it was a call that was
important. Call centers are all over the place now and it may be a
"local" business with a call back from elsewhere..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

When I have the time, I like to turn a thirty second questionnaire into a 45
minute interview.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

Your subject didn't require any supporting text in the body :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends
or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk
to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my
assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.

I've done that, but in a couple of instances, it was a call that was
important. Call centers are all over the place now and it may be a
"local" business with a call back from elsewhere..

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that
I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my
home phone number. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. I do
have the advantage of still using a "local" answering machine as opposed to
voice mail for my home phone, so I can screen calls but I honestly can't
remember the last time I actually picked it up.

The vast majority of times the caller hangs up once the message begins.
That tells me that it wasn't important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2012 07:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends
or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk
to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my
assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.

I look at the caller ID, and don't answer:

name is City and State (these seem to always be junk calls)

name is duplicate of number (these are junk calls)

unfamiliar business names

non-nearby and unfamiliar area codes (mostly without person's names)

meaningless and unfamiliar business names (such as "TLA GROUP")

These almost never leave a message. Maybe they KNOW what they're selling
is so bad no one who has a chance to think about it would want it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not
prove anything." [Nietzsche]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:18:26 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that
I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my
home phone number.

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most
times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in
a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call
is one that we would want to take.

Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had
I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been
delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was
about a medical test my wife took.

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer
a couple of times a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that
I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my
home phone number.

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most
times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in
a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call
is one that we would want to take.

Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had
I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been
delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was
about a medical test my wife took.

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer
a couple of times a week.

In my case neither the driver nor the lab/Dr. office would have had my home
phone number. As I said earlier, anyone that I would want to talk to will
have my cell number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends
or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk
to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my
assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.

I simply don't answer calls that don't show phone numbers or are from out of
the area. The people I know from outside the area know to email me instead
of phoning me. And anybody who knows me will know to leave a message or a
text if they can't reach me immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple
things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

And it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy (a full tank of) gas at many gas
stations in the USA with a Canadian Credit Card. I had to explain
several times to each of numerous cashiers at gas stations across the
north central US this summer that I was going to fill the car, and ,
no, I did not know how much it was going to cost, but I'd leave the
credit card with them until the tank was filled so there was no danger
of me running off without paying..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple
things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

And it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy (a full tank of) gas at many gas
stations in the USA with a Canadian Credit Card. I had to explain
several times to each of numerous cashiers at gas stations across the
north central US this summer that I was going to fill the car, and ,
no, I did not know how much it was going to cost, but I'd leave the
credit card with them until the tank was filled so there was no danger
of me running off without paying..

So, was it really "impossible" to buy a full tank of gas or were you
eventually able to after offering your explanation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those
that
I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my
home phone number.

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most
times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in
a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call
is one that we would want to take.

Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had
I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been
delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was
about a medical test my wife took.

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer
a couple of times a week.

In my case, I boght a cheap trac-phone for a cell phone. We don't use the
cell for much.
When I first got it I discovered that while the calller ID number was
displayed correctly but the name that showed was "wireless caller". I tried
to get it changed to my name but that was an exercise in futility.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:
I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

I appreciate the automated calls about my drugs being ready...

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

....but surveys are something else entirely. Hate them.

Just wait until the assholes behind "Rachael from Card Services" get
ahold of those "I'm your new best friend" voice response systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:19:43 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple
things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

And it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy (a full tank of) gas at many gas
stations in the USA with a Canadian Credit Card. I had to explain
several times to each of numerous cashiers at gas stations across the
north central US this summer that I was going to fill the car, and ,
no, I did not know how much it was going to cost, but I'd leave the
credit card with them until the tank was filled so there was no danger
of me running off without paying..

So, was it really "impossible" to buy a full tank of gas or were you
eventually able to after offering your explanation?

I had to leave one because they insisted I prepay a fixed amount. I
had enough fuel to move on so I did. At the second, I had the same
problem, so I just said if they were afraid I'd run without paying,
I'd leave all 3 of my credit cards and my driver's licence - and they
relented and said one credit card would do. From then on, the next 2
fillups, I just said I'd done it at other stations and they accepted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I found this at http://www.i75online.com/CreditCardWorkaround.html

"3. A Canadian Zip Code - A number of readers have contacted me to suggest
entering "00000," "11111," "12345" or "99999" (depending upon gas brand).
Other suggestions have included punching in the 3 digits from your postal
code followed by two zeros (e.g., L5G 4N9 would be entered as "54900"). All
claim that these work at their southern destinations.
When tested, we have found these to be regional or brand specific. There is
no continuity in this solution and when you drive into a station away from
your home base, you really do not know whether you are going to be able to
actuate the pump or not with your card."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't
hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my
expectations.

I can't figure one leaving question on answering machine. Its actually not
a question, but an answer. It's like listening to an answering machine
message. We are sorry that option is not available at this time.... ?????

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to
those that I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone
number gets my home phone number. If I don't recognize the number I
don't answer it. I do have the advantage of still using a "local"
answering machine as opposed to voice mail for my home phone, so I
can screen calls but I honestly can't remember the last time I
actually picked it up.

Alternatively, you can supply a telephone number of (area code) 911-1234.
Should anyone use this number, they should be connected to your local
emergency service. The 911 people frown on people using the service for
non-emergencies. The caller may end up with a SWAT unit surrounding his
facility.

I've sometimes used the non-emergency telephone number of my local police
department or Rat Abatement bureau.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer
a couple of times a week.

Yeah, but robocalls are like toll roads; you're just encouraging them to
create more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2012 7:58 PM, Fake ID wrote:
In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:
I hate computer generated phone calls.
I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to
be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

I appreciate the automated calls about my drugs being ready...

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording
saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if
he met your expectations press 2 ect.

...but surveys are something else entirely. Hate them.

Just wait until the assholes behind "Rachael from Card Services" get
ahold of those "I'm your new best friend" voice response systems.

Oh, God, Rachael.
When I get this call, I always hit 1 to get a live operator and put the
phone down until they hang up.
Assuming these assholes call everyone in the country and if everyone did
this, it would cost them a fortune in operator time alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that
I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my
home phone number.

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most
times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in
a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call
is one that we would want to take.

Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had
I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been
delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was
about a medical test my wife took.

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer
a couple of times a week.

I agree. When it comes to answering your cell phone, you never know if
it is a loved one or a close friend in an atypical situation (dead zone
when attempting to use their cell phone, or emergency when they've been
in an accident or victim of a crime) calling from a number that is
unfamiliar to you. If you only accept incoming cell phone calls from
familiar numbers you would miss receiving those calls when they mattered
most. Of course, if you have no loved ones or close friends, that's not
a consideration for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 8:03*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to
those that I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone
number gets my home phone number. *If I don't recognize the number I
don't answer it. I do have the advantage of still using a "local"
answering machine as opposed to voice mail for my home phone, so I
can screen calls but I honestly can't remember the last time I
actually picked it up.

Alternatively, you can supply a telephone number of (area code) 911-1234.
Should anyone use this number, they should be connected to your local
emergency service. The 911 people frown on people using the service for
non-emergencies. The caller may end up with a SWAT unit surrounding his
facility.

I've sometimes used the non-emergency telephone number of my local police
department or Rat Abatement bureau.

Good idea.

Let's all find ways to burden our 911 centers and police departments.
It's not like they have anything better to do with their scant
resources than answer calls from telemarketers.

Oh wait...this was from HeyBub. Odds are this was posted for no other
reason than to get a reaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:32 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to
those that I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone
number gets my home phone number. If I don't recognize the number I
don't answer it. I do have the advantage of still using a "local"
answering machine as opposed to voice mail for my home phone, so I
can screen calls but I honestly can't remember the last time I
actually picked it up.

Alternatively, you can supply a telephone number of (area code) 911-1234.
Should anyone use this number, they should be connected to your local
emergency service. The 911 people frown on people using the service for
non-emergencies. The caller may end up with a SWAT unit surrounding his
facility.

I've sometimes used the non-emergency telephone number of my local police
department or Rat Abatement bureau.

I got a girl's number at a party once. It was the police station.

OT Grumpy old man. Moan mutter grumble ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 29 March 28th 12 06:04 AM
OT Grumpy Gits r'Us Rod UK diy 0 November 5th 09 10:11 PM
Grumpy: TS Still Burning Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 41 February 10th 05 07:35 PM