Cleaning sink drain? ? ?

Old July 9th 12, 04:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Default Cleaning sink drain? ? ?

A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

Old July 9th 12, 04:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2012 10:38 AM, Ray wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which
stands overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that
carbonated soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when
you get them on sale.

Is this correct?

I've used boiling water, with Dawn dish detergent added after heating
it, and poured slowly into the drain. This was not a totally clogged drain.
Old July 9th 12, 05:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 10:38*am, "Ray" wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

My experience has always been that none of the drain
cleaners, whether liquid or dry type, have been effective
at clearing blocked drains. At most, they made it a
little better and it was soon back to where it was again.
Only a snake has worked for me.

As for soft drinks working, forget about it. Most of the
drain cleaners are based on alkalines, not acids. But
whether acid or base, the cleaners are orders of
magnitude more powerful than a soft drink like soda.
Old July 9th 12, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 7/9/2012 9:38 AM, Ray wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which
stands overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that
carbonated soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when
you get them on sale.

Is this correct?

Like most all generalities/home remedies "yes and no"

There are any number of drain cleaners on the market that are more or
less effective depending on just how badly and what a clogged drain may
be clogged with. One problem w/ many of the more aggressive cleaners is
the conditions of the pipes themselves; particularly if metal. The
cleaner can be the final straw that eats through a thin point...

Carbonated drinks are dilute acids so indeed do have some of the same
properties. Whether they're strong enough to do any good for any given
case depends on the above conditions. Being much less aggressive than
the stronger commercial products they are safer in the sense of being
unlikely to cause a failure--otoh, being weaker they're less likely to
be successful in a hard case or at least not w/o either a very long time
to work (which means can't use the sink for anything else for that same
long time) or many applications (which tends to wipe out any cost
differential)

So, "all depends"

Old July 9th 12, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:38*am, "Ray" wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

As per the other posts......once the drain is completely blocked,
liquid cleanser seldom work, mechanical intervention is typically
needed.

The overnight stuff is DrainCare enzyme / bacteria powder but you have
to to have some flow to distribute the stuff.
I use this & highly recommend it as a preventative measure.

http://www.amazon.com/Enforcer-DC16-...zep+drain+care

cheers
Bob
Old July 9th 12, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01...13_500X500.jpg
Old July 9th 12, 06:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 10:38*am, "Ray" wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

My long haired wife and daughters clog up our shower and sink drains
at least twice a year.

I've settle on a non-chemical fix:

I dismantle the drains, pull out the dead-rat looking mass of hair and
soap scum and then put the drains back together.

It takes about a half hour and I know that the drain is perfectly
clear until next time.

No chemicals and no cost other than my time.

Oh yeah...one more step: I bitch at the ladies telling them that if
they'd remove the hair instead of washing it down the drain, I
wouldn't have to take the drains apart twice a year.

Old July 9th 12, 07:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

That's what I need.

The immediate blockage has been dislodged. I want something to prevent
future blockage.

Thanks, Ray

Old July 10th 12, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:38*am, "Ray" wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

Don't know about the solution, but about using carbonated beverages...

Back in the student days when one was forced to live in accomodations
less than one would put up with today; four of us lived in a rented
house [to save money it still took all four of us]. The landlord did
not really clean up too well after the previous tenants, so we had one
upstairs sink that was so clogged with some type of gunk [could be
seen looking down through the overflow] it seemed to drain faster with
the plug in than with the plug out.

We tried every process we could think of, hot water, pumping, etc,
every chemical we could find, including gasoline and paint thinner -
after all we were desparate to get this sink cleaned up for use.
Absolutely nothing touched the sludgy, ?? gunk.

In an act of frustration and desparation I poured my bottle of Pepis
into the overflow. The reaction was incredible. Foaming, billing out,
then suddenly 'flump' like sound as everything just went down the
drain. I continued to pour the remaining soda down the overflow to
watch foaming completely clean the view. Until voila! the sink was
totally brought back to original draining operation - fixed!

Plus, much of the metal was shiney again.

Sink drain Al Home Repair 8 May 31st 08 12:38 PM
Adding a sink drain to a main drain Phisherman Home Repair 3 December 11th 07 01:32 AM
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place. mm Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 04:08 AM
convert sink drain to washing machine drain? shawn Home Repair 2 May 28th 06 11:40 PM
Adding a sink drain line into existing 3" PVC drain / waste line DL Home Repair 6 May 15th 05 11:06 PM