OKeefe Merritt Stove won't heat up

Old July 3rd 12, 07:16 AM
Junior Member

Unhappy OKeefe Merritt Stove won't heat up

Oven pilot is on, but I cannot adjust temp. It is very low. It takes about 2 hours to cook bisquits! Please help. I really want to keep my stove as I bought it for my 1916 craftsman. The broiler does not come on, but all the stove top parts work great, including griddle.

Thanks a mil!
Old July 3rd 12, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OKeefe Merritt Stove won't heat up

On 7/3/2012 2:16 AM, tjreiter wrote:
Oven pilot is on, but I cannot adjust temp. It is very low. It takes
about 2 hours to cook bisquits! Please help. I really want to keep my
stove as I bought it for my 1916 craftsman. The broiler does not come
on, but all the stove top parts work great, including griddle.

Thanks a mil!

Okeefe Merritt? Never heard of 'em and I'll bet you'll prolly never find
parts for it either.

McLowe's Depot is having an appliance sale this weekend. They have free
delivery and they'll even cart away your old hunkajunk.
Old July 3rd 12, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2012 5:28 PM, Norm A. Brams wrote:
On 7/3/2012 2:16 AM, tjreiter wrote:
Oven pilot is on, but I cannot adjust temp. It is very low. It takes
about 2 hours to cook bisquits! Please help. I really want to keep my
stove as I bought it for my 1916 craftsman. The broiler does not come
on, but all the stove top parts work great, including griddle.

Thanks a mil!

Okeefe Merritt? Never heard of 'em and I'll bet you'll prolly never find
parts for it either.

McLowe's Depot is having an appliance sale this weekend. They have free
delivery and they'll even cart away your old hunkajunk.

O'Keefe and Merritt went outta bidness in late 1970's or very early
1980's. Electrolux bought the company that bought the factory that made
O'Keefe's in Los Angeles.

O'Keefe and Merritt from the 1960's and earlier are considered vintage
and antique so it may be worth the OP's time to either fix the stove or
sell it to a collector.

I know this because a friend wanted me to help him sell (move) a late
1940's O'Keefe 6 burner blue colour porecelin stove about 6 or 7 years
ago. It was a 6 hour drive to deliver the stove to a bed and breakfast
inn that had a late 1940's decoration theme, and the money he got, paid
for a new stove, fridge, and dishwasher.

Maybe Electrolux is of help for later models...

Old July 3rd 12, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 7/3/2012 1:16 AM, tjreiter wrote:
Oven pilot is on, but I cannot adjust temp. It is very low. It takes
about 2 hours to cook bisquits! Please help. I really want to keep my
stove as I bought it for my 1916 craftsman. The broiler does not come
on, but all the stove top parts work great, including griddle.

Thanks a mil!

You probably need at a minimum a thermostat rebuild and perhaps the
control/safety valve as well.

There are folks who specialize in old appliances--here's one altho I
don't have any specific knowledge of them it's representative of what
you can find if you look.

If you're handy enough, you could potentially replace the thermostat
yourself altho you'll then also have to calibrate the knob/control to go
with it...

http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/

As an aside, the old Roper of grandmother's is still in the basement of
the farm house here as the second oven for gatherings and the backup for
power outages. It's still fully functional and truthfully bakes
pastries/bread/etc., better than the new range...

I'm in agreement for trying to keep the one you got; it's probably doable.

Old July 4th 12, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:28:12 -0400, "Norm A. Brams"
wrote:

On 7/3/2012 2:16 AM, tjreiter wrote:
Oven pilot is on, but I cannot adjust temp. It is very low. It takes
about 2 hours to cook bisquits! Please help. I really want to keep my
stove as I bought it for my 1916 craftsman. The broiler does not come
on, but all the stove top parts work great, including griddle.

Thanks a mil!

Okeefe Merritt? Never heard of 'em and I'll bet you'll prolly never find
parts for it either.

McLowe's Depot is having an appliance sale this weekend. They have free
delivery and they'll even cart away your old hunkajunk.

Sir, you have no sense of style and class. O'Keefe & Merritt made
fine stoves that are sought by collectors. Parts are still available
from
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/partso'keefe.html

The OP has a 1916 home and a vintage stove will look good and perform
as well as most new stoves. If you followed the links, you'll see
that you would lose that bet on parts availability.

Take a few minutes and learn what the past has to offer. New does not
always mean better.
Old July 4th 12, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2012 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sir, you have no sense of style and class. O'Keefe& Merritt made
fine stoves that are sought by collectors. Parts are still available
from
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/partso'keefe.html

I have to agree with Norm. If these stoves are so great, why is the
company out of business?

The OP has a 1916 home and a vintage stove will look good and perform
as well as most new stoves. If you followed the links, you'll see
that you would lose that bet on parts availability.

Take a few minutes and learn what the past has to offer. New does not
always mean better.

Thanks but I prefer a Whirlpool Accubake convection range.
Old July 4th 12, 06:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:59:31 -0400, Saul Bloom
wrote:

On 7/3/2012 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sir, you have no sense of style and class. O'Keefe& Merritt made
fine stoves that are sought by collectors. Parts are still available
from
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/partso'keefe.html

I have to agree with Norm. If these stoves are so great, why is the
company out of business?

Like many companies, owners die, they are sold from one conglomerate
to another Frigidare lives on in name only, a tiny fraction of the
quality it was when GM owned the brand. O & M went bankrupt and the
assets were bought by Tappan around 1980 or so. Tappan became part of
WCI (White Consolidated Industries) that changed names to Frigidare
and was bought by Husqevarna and is now Electrolux. They also ate up
Norge, White, Westinghouse, Crosely and a few others.

Thanks but I prefer a Whirlpool Accubake convection range.

Well good for you. My point was though, that fixing a good quality O
& M range is a better choice than most stoves that are on the weekend
sale at Lowes. The convection oven may be a bit better, but the
burners are no better and the style does not fit in some houses.

Whirlpool used to be the Nineteen Hundred Corporation. They have
acquired other bands and sell under about a dozen names. Amana,
Kitchen
Air, Estate, Indlis, Roper and others.
Old July 4th 12, 12:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well good for you. My point was though, that fixing a good quality O
& M range is a better choice than most stoves that are on the weekend
sale at Lowes. The convection oven may be a bit better, but the
burners are no better and the style does not fit in some houses.

Whirlpool used to be the Nineteen Hundred Corporation. They have
acquired other bands and sell under about a dozen names. Amana,
Kitchen
Air, Estate, Indlis, Roper and others.

And all the Maytag names are now owned by Whirlpool too. Not to mention
the millions of Kenmores that were made by Whirlpool...

Old July 4th 12, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2012 7:16 AM, Duesenberg wrote:

Well good for you. My point was though, that fixing a good quality O
& M range is a better choice than most stoves that are on the weekend
sale at Lowes. The convection oven may be a bit better, but the

Are you kidding me? I'd rather have a $49 Walmart microwave than an old
stove from the 30s.

LOL! You're prolly one of those folks that has a crank style phone on
the wall of your kitchen right where the phone guy installed it back in
1952. Did you know they make em cordless now so you can walk around the
house and talk?

Old July 4th 12, 06:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 7/4/2012 12:00 PM, Fred wrote:

Are you kidding me? I'd rather have a $49 Walmart microwave than an old
stove from the 30s.

To each his own...appreciation of the past is a dying art it seems...

(And yes, there is still a corded phone on the wall and still do have
the old crank one as well, but it is now a collector's item only and
there is a wireless phone my wife uses but I detest and don't...)