Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "An Act of God"..... Insurance company's way of getting out of paying

I always got a laugh out of the expression "An Act of God", often used
on insurance forms. What this really means is that it's how the
insurance companies get out of paying their customers after some sort of
accident or disaster. That can be applied to at least half of all
claims. Unless the accident or disaster was directly caused by another
person, company, or defective product, it's "An Act of God".
It looks like God is one nasty ****er to cause all this damage....

But, how does this affect athiests? Since they dont believe in God, how
can it be blamed on something they do not believe in?

Many years ago, there was a bad storm. It began with high winds, which
tore off part of my roof shingles. Then came heavy rain, which ran down
my roof's valley, and came directly into the part of my house, which
lost the roofing. The ceiling collapsed, which destroyed a lot of
furniture, carpetting, walls, and a lot more. The insurance adjustor
came over the next day, and told me they could not pay for the damages,
because it was "An Act of God".

I tried fighting this, but they had it clearly listed as "An Act of
God', meaning it was not covered. They lost me as a customer, and I lost
a lot more.....

I always wondered what would happen if I called my insurance company,
and told them that I can not pay for my insurance this month, because I
do not have the money, due to "An Act of God".

Anyhow, I just looked up this phrase online, in a legal dictionary.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...com/act+of+god

There are numerous explanations, but all of them say the same thing,
with less or more words....

[quote]

Act of God

An event that directly and exclusively results from the occurrence of
natural causes that could not have been prevented by the exercise of
foresight or caution; an inevitable accident.

Courts have recognized various events as acts of God—tornadoes,
earthquakes, death, extraordinarily high tides, violent winds, and
floods. Many insurance policies for property damage exclude from their
protection damage caused by acts of God.
act of God

n. a natural catastrophe which no one can prevent such as an earthquake,
a tidal wave, a volcanic eruption, or a tornado. Acts of God are
significant for two reasons: 1) for the havoc and damage they wreak, and

2) because often contracts state that "acts of God" are an excuse for
delay or failure to fulfill a commitment or to complete a construction
project. Many insurance policies exempt coverage for damage caused by
acts of God, which is one time an insurance company gets religion. At
times disputes arise as to whether a violent storm or other disaster was
an act of God (and therefore exempt from a claim) or a foreseeable
natural event. God knows the answer!
act of god

noun accident, chance occurrence, fortuity, random luckSee also: favor

act of God
an accident or event that cannot be prevented by ordinary human
foresight. The occurrence should normally be a natural one, like flood
or earthquake. It exempts a party from STRICT LIABILITY in common law
and, by definition, from negligence.

ACT OF GOD, in contracts. This phrase denotes those accidents which
arise from physical causes, and which cannot be prevented.

2. Where the law casts a duty on a party, the performance shall be
excused, if it be rendered impossible by the act of God; but where the
party, by his own contract, engages to do an act, it is deemed to be his
own fault and folly that he did not thereby provide against
contingencies, and exempt himself from responsibilities in certain
events and in such case, (that is, in the instance of an absolute
general contract the performance is not excused by an inevitable
accident, or other contingency, although not foreseen by, nor within the
control of the party. Chitty on Contr. 272, 8; Aleyn, 27, cited by
Lawrence; J. in 8 T. R. 267; Com. Dig. Action upon the Case upon
Assumpsit, G; 6 T. R. 650 ; 8 T. R. 259; 3 M. & S. 267 ; 7 Mass. 325; 13
Mass. 94; Co. Litt. 206; Com. Dig. Condition, D 1, L 13; 2 Bl. Com. 340;
1 T. R. 33; Jones on Bailm 104, 5 ; 1 Bouv. Inst. n. 1024.

3. Special bail are discharged when the defendant dies, Tidd, 243 ;
actus Dei nemini facit injuriam being a maxim of law, applicable in such
case; but if the defendant die after the return of the case and before
it is filed, the bail are fixed. 6 T. R. 284; 6 Binn. 332, 338. It is,
however, no ground for an exonerator, that the defendant has become
deranged since the suit was brought, and is confined in a hospital. 2
Wash. C. C. R. 464, 6 T. It. 133 Bos. & Pull. 362 Tidd, 184. Vide 8
Mass. Rep. 264; 3 Yeates, 37; 2 Dall. 317; 16 Mass. Rep. 218; Stra. 128;
1 Leigh's N, P. 508; 11 Pick. R. 41; 2 Verm. R. 92; 2 Watt's Rep. 443.

[End Quote].

---
Copyright © 2016 Painted Cow, Inc. - All text, images, and other content
of this message are the copyrighted material of Painted Cow, Inc. unless
otherwise noted. Any reproduction or use of this material is forbidden
without the written consent of the owner.

Websites (such as Homeownershub) who reproduce these messages without
permission, WILL BE PROSECUTED!

/) (\
.-._((,~~.))_.-,
`-. @ @ ,-'
/ ,o--o. \
( ( .__. ) )
) `----' (
/ \
/ \
/ \

PAINTED COW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 10:55:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

IDK what kind of half-assed insurance you bought, but I've never
seen a homeowner's policy where a storm that tears off roof shingles
and causes water damage is not covered because it was an "act of God".
There are exclusions for things like earthquakes or floods, special
rules for storms that are declared hurricanes, that I've seen.
But I can't imagine a homeowner's policy being worth a damn if it
won't pay for storm damage.