Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing newLaminate sheets

I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new wilsonart
laminate or something similar. Is it required to remove the old laminate
from the countertop, or can one just glue the new Formica type surface on
top of the one that is already glued to the substrate after roughing it up?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roanin" wrote in message

I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new wilsonart
laminate or something similar. Is it required to remove the old laminate
from the countertop, or can one just glue the new Formica type surface on
top of the one that is already glued to the substrate after roughing it up?

Standard installation procedure is to remove the old countertop
first and lay new countertop across the supporting cupboard tops.
This way your new countertop remains at standard height.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roanin wrote:
I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new
wilsonart laminate or something similar. Is it required to remove the
old laminate from the countertop, or can one just glue the new
Formica type surface on top of the one that is already glued to the
substrate after roughing it up?
Thanks,

You can put the new on the old, just be sure the old is firmly & completely
attached.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 10:24*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Roanin" wrote in message

I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new wilsonart
laminate or something similar. Is it required to remove the old laminate
from the countertop, or can one just glue the new Formica type surface on
top of the one that is already glued to the substrate after roughing it up?

Standard installation procedure is to remove the old countertop
first and lay new countertop across the supporting cupboard tops.
This way your new countertop remains at standard height.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

I have done exactly what the OP proposes to do at two different
homes. Works perfectly fine. Just be sure to get the cement/glue on
evenly. If the extra 1/8 inch height of the new countertops is
bothersome, whomever it bothers has a lot more problems than the
countertop height.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:00*am, "Roanin" wrote:
I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new wilsonart
laminate or something similar. Is it required to remove the old laminate
from the countertop, or can one just glue the new Formica type surface on
top of the one that is already glued to the substrate after roughing it up?

Thanks,

You could do that if like dadiOH mentioned the present counter
top is still firmly attached to its plywood or chipboard substrate...

It is a lot easier to work on such things when you have removed
the counter top from the cabinets since the contact adhesive
used has ZERO forgiveness, once it touches its stuck...

Removing the counter top to work on it where you can use
sticks to separate the two contact adhesive coated surfaces
on all sides and edges of the counter makes the project
easier, also rolling it flat to make sure all the air pockets
are eliminated with a J roller is easier when you do not
have overhead cabinets to work under...

Removing the counter top from the base cabinets will also
allow you to assess whether or not you should reuse the
existing substrate or build a new one, water damage around
sinks is fairly commonplace with older Formica counters
and adding a new layer on top of a rotted out base is
just asking for problems later on...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/1/2012 10:00 AM, Roanin wrote:
I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new wilsonart
laminate or something similar....

My experience w/ Wilsonart is such that I would _strongly_ suggest the
other product instead...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 7/1/2012 10:00 AM, Roanin wrote:
I am going to redo the kitchen countertops in our house with new
wilsonart
laminate or something similar....

My experience w/ Wilsonart is such that I would _strongly_ suggest the
other product instead...

--

I have the countertop off and it is in great shape except for being PINK. No
rot or water damage. I would do it off the cabinets then reinstall it. dpb

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/1/2012 5:54 PM, Roanin wrote:

I have the countertop off and it is in great shape except for being PINK. No
rot or water damage. I would do it off the cabinets then reinstall it. dpb
what is the other stuff and why is Wilsonart a bad experience?

Formica is the key player in the laminates market.

Wilsonart in my experience is _extremely_ brittle in comparison and not
nearly as wearing afterwards assuming one can get it installed w/o
chipping or cracking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 7/1/2012 5:54 PM, Roanin wrote:

I have the countertop off and it is in great shape except for being PINK.
No
rot or water damage. I would do it off the cabinets then reinstall it.
dpb
what is the other stuff and why is Wilsonart a bad experience?

Formica is the key player in the laminates market.

Wilsonart in my experience is _extremely_ brittle in comparison and not
nearly as wearing afterwards assuming one can get it installed w/o
chipping or cracking it.

--

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Melamine sheets? [email protected] Woodworking 11 December 2nd 08 02:27 AM
HSS sheets Abu Woodworking 4 April 8th 06 04:14 AM
? Rack for Sheets Nehmo Sergheyev Woodworking 14 January 22nd 06 01:29 AM
cut sheets... Christian Woodworking 4 September 6th 05 11:54 AM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 04:20 PM