Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

Pull the spark plug.
Is it dry and 'normal' looking?

Ground the end of the plug and pull the
cord. with the switch in the "On" position.
(or get a spark tester for a few bucks).
Is there spark?

There's only 3 relevant things most of the time
(barring the engine being worn out). Fuel, spark
and timing. If you prime the carb before checking
the plug, you should see gas on it plug. Likewise, you
can pour a small amount of fuel directly into the plug
hole, screw plug in, and try to start. Spraying fuel
into the air filter/intake does not guarantee it is getting into
the cylinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:03:39 PM UTC-5, frank1492 wrote:
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

Something often over-looked on 2-cycles...blocked exhaust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote:

Something often over-looked on 2-cycles...blocked exhaust.

Not likely on a new unit. He would have to have really overdone the
oil mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2012 12:03 AM, frank1492 wrote:
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

I'd say, if under warranty and bought at big box store, take it back and
get a new one. Getting repaired under warranty in my experience can be
a PITA and the big stores will normally trade back with no question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 00:03:39 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

If it's still under the return policy, just return it. Otherwise
maybe flooded??? I recall in the old days, to pull the plug and just
pull the cord multiple times to unflood it. Check the plug to make
sure it's still clean ... not full of oil at gapped end. Then put it
back, prime as normal and try to start again. I know mine (different
brand) is probably made by a female because it's tempermental at
times. Other times, it starts fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote in
:

This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

perhaps the ethanol in the gas(E10) has swelled some rubber
part,restricting the fuel feed?
lots of people are experiencing problems in small engines with ethanol in
the gas.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:49:39 -0400, "83LowRider"
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
frank1492 wrote:
[...]

the cylinder.- Hide quoted text -

Is it under a warranty????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 1, 2012 7:40:57 AM UTC-5, 83LowRider wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:

Something often over-looked on 2-cycles...blocked exhaust.

Not likely on a new unit. He would have to have really overdone the
oil mixture.

I've seen one that had turf in it (laying in the grass to start-it)!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:43:32 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.

Check that the plug wire is snug on the plug (wire terminal). Ensure
there are no cracks in the wire that can ground out on the engine.

For giggles, does this trimmer have an on OFF/ON switch? Nothing
sillier than starting an engine when the switch is "OFF"...

I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

....please let us know, for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 1, 2012 11:26:25 AM UTC-4, Jim Yanik wrote:
perhaps the ethanol in the gas(E10) has swelled some rubber
part,restricting the fuel feed?

On a NEW unit, not likely. I suppose a "new" unit could be several months to over a year old, but usually new is new, a couple months at most. It takes more than a couple months for the ethanol gas to adversely effect rubber parts.

Maybe some piece of crap left over from the manufacturing/assembly process got wedged in somewhere, but you would need to know something about these units to tear it down and find the obstruction.

It would also require that the trimmer is past the box store's return policy, and the OP has no other option than to fix it himself or send it back to China for warranty repair.

lots of people are experiencing problems in small engines with ethanol in
the gas.

I can say I haven't had a single issue I could attribute to ethanol in the gas, myself. I leave my string trimmer sit full of gas over the winter and it starts on the second pull every time every spring. I have a 35-year-old chainsaw that I leave mix sit in for months at a time. Always runs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

Well then, we know you're GETTING fuel to the carb.
When you see/say the plug was wet - it shouldn't be - unless
you had just very recently primed it.

That doesn't say anything as to whether you're getting spark.

Take the plug out, put the spark plug cap/boot on the plug.
Ground the bottom of the plug against the engine.
With switch turned 'on', pull the cord. You should see
a spark. You'll often 'hear' it as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 1:49*am, "83LowRider" wrote:

If you prime the carb before checking
the plug, you should see gas on it plug.

The fuel from the primer bulb goes in the intake side of the
crankcase. Fuel has to go thru crankcase first, before it reaches the
plug on 2 strokes ( which I assume it is). He would have to push the
primer bulb and the pull the starter rope for fuel to show up on the
plug.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:43*am, frank1492 wrote:
The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
* * I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

Take out the plug.
Pull the cord several times and let it sit for a day ( gets gas out of
crank case)
Next day pull it a couple more times
Get new plug and check for spark BEFORE you put it in
If no spark, check to make sure kill switch is in the RUN position
If you have spark, then install NEW plug
You're welcome

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:

If you prime the carb before checking
the plug, you should see gas on it plug.

The fuel from the primer bulb goes in the intake side of the
crankcase. Fuel has to go thru crankcase first, before it reaches the
plug on 2 strokes ( which I assume it is). He would have to push the
primer bulb and the pull the starter rope for fuel to show up on the
plug.

You are correct. I've assumed if he had been pushing
the primer bulb, that he had been pulling the rope to start it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says
"Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last
for only a few hours.

Honda and it will start much easier and last much longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ours stopped after a few uses also. After much messing about, I found
that the screws that held the priming bulb to the carb had worked
loose and tightening them fixed the problem... Never had another
problem until the priming bulb and fuel line disintegrated (from being
left in the sun).
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"frank1492" wrote in message
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

Read all the advice. I had a similar "don't want to start problem (Ryko).
Called customer service--got an experienced tech. Where the instructions
said "prime the bulb 7 times" he said do it as many as 14 times. If it
don't start then put it in the Run position, hold down the trigger and pull.
That does it every time. One other thing--the way I hold the unit while
trying to start also has a bearing--the inlet line in the tank can be out of
the fuel at times--I make sure that it is submerged when starting. Just a
thought--is it possible that the line in the fuel tank is
blocked/crimped/leaky?
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2012 08:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says
"Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last
for only a few hours.

Honda and it will start much easier and last much longer.

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

I used it as-was to cut the stump up, resharpening the blade every time
I hit dirt (which was frequent because this was a stump), and it worked
fine.

This year when I ran it to cut some trees (in the rain), after not much
work it wouldn't start. I cleaned the (clogged) air filter and bought a
new plug, and it's back to working like new.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:59:33 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out.
You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any
small engine service shop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out.
You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any
small engine service shop.

Already got one, but thanks.

One thing you have to realize is that they typical Homelite purchaser is
not going to be an experienced two-cycle engine user. They will be less
likely to properly mix the gas, they might keep it too long (ie, not use
the mix within a month), they will be more likely to leave gas sitting
in the tank, and they will be more likely to forego the routine
maintenance (air filter and spark plug) that any two-cycle motor requires.

Yes, they are cheaply built, but how much saw can you reasonably expect
for $80? Despite that, I've had good luck with mine using it for
intermittent household-duty work, paying attention to proper maintenance.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 9:59 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

The problem I've had with cheap chinese big box store crap is that they
don't start easily nor do they stay running. Set a cheap chinasaw down
for 30 seconds to reposition a log and the saw will die. Then your doing
the Jane Fonda Workout on the starter cord trying to get it running again.

Do yourself a favor and toss that chinasaw out the car window on the way
to your local Stihl dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2012 08:34 AM, diy savant wrote:
On 6/2/2012 9:59 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

The problem I've had with cheap chinese big box store crap is that they
don't start easily nor do they stay running. Set a cheap chinasaw down
for 30 seconds to reposition a log and the saw will die. Then your doing
the Jane Fonda Workout on the starter cord trying to get it running again.

The idle adjustment screw is easily accessible and quickly fixes that
problem; if you had read the fine manual you would discovered this for
yourself. They are purposely set too low to keep the EPA happy, as
well as to make DAMN SURE that there is ZERO CHANCE of the clutch
engaging when someone sets the saw down next to the baby when they go in
the house for another crackhit (you can thank the lawyers for that one).

A harder adjustment is increasing the mixture screws to be richer,
because they have a limiter on each screw which allows them to only be
turned leaner (again, thanks to the EPA for that one). This can cause a
problem if the saw is running too lean at WOT, and will burn it up in
short order.

As in most limiter screws, it is easily bypassed if you are somewhat
handy (I removed the limiters on mine).

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 11:52 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

The idle adjustment screw is easily accessible and quickly fixes that
problem; if you had read the fine manual you would discovered this for
yourself. They are purposely set too low to keep the EPA happy, as well
as to make DAMN SURE that there is ZERO CHANCE of the clutch engaging
when someone sets the saw down next to the baby when they go in the
house for another crackhit (you can thank the lawyers for that one).

A harder adjustment is increasing the mixture screws to be richer,
because they have a limiter on each screw which allows them to only be
turned leaner (again, thanks to the EPA for that one). This can cause a
problem if the saw is running too lean at WOT, and will burn it up in
short order.

As in most limiter screws, it is easily bypassed if you are somewhat
handy (I removed the limiters on mine).

I have to agree with the other posters, Stihl is the best!

You can make excuses and blame lawyers and EPA all you want but I've
never had to do any of those things to get my Stihl 2-strokes to run.

FWIW, I do use Stihl MotoMix exclusively so that I don't have to worry
about ethanol fuel decay and resultant damage. I just keep everything
fueled up with MotoMix and ready to go. They always start easily and run
great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:
[...]

great.- Hide quoted text -

On a related question, I have a 2 cycle weed whacker
that would not start. I sprayed carb cleaner in it and
now it starts just fine, will run with the choke off, but
as soon as you give it about 50%+ throttle it starts
to stall. And at that point even quickly backing off on
the throttle, it will not recover, it just dies out.

While cleaning and looking at it I noticed one thing
that doesn's seem right. When I pump the bulb I
see solid gas going into the carb, but some bubbles
are there in the return line. Even pumping many
times makes no difference.

So, my current theory is that there is a leak at the
carb that is allowing air to get sucked in? And
that it isn't a problem at lower power but causes
fuel starvation at higher power? Next thing I'm
going to do is see what the return fuel line does
when it running and the problem occurs. Any
other thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Use gas within a month? Who does that? ...particularly 2-cycle mix (I was
lucky to use a gallon in a year, so bought a 4-cycle trimmer).

Yes, they are cheaply built, but how much saw can you reasonably expect
for $80? Despite that, I've had good luck with mine using it for
intermittent household-duty work, paying attention to proper maintenance.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out.
You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any
small engine service shop.

that guy that loves his probably doesn't have near 10 hours on it.
LMAO! Try 12 or 14 a DAY 100 or so days a year.... think STIHL.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hello? the four cycle trimmers (at least the STIHLS) which is the only
brand i would consider. Still use mix fuel.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hello? Not everyone is a Stihl shill. Mine doesn't use mix, rather has an
oil pan. You really gotta get out more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:36:50 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

that guy that loves his probably doesn't have near 10 hours on it.
LMAO! Try 12 or 14 a DAY 100 or so days a year.... think STIHL.

You might do it differently if you run a landscape service.
But I've been using my 90 buck Craftsman for about 8 years.
Probably put no more than a couple hours run time on it each season.
Maybe less than 2 hours. That's all I need.
Never drained the tank. Never pulled the plug.
Always started with a few yanks after sitting all winter, always with
old gas in it. In fact, I bought the gas I that was in it at the
start of this season about 4 years ago.
Wouldn't start this year, so I drained the tank and turned it upside
down for a couple days. Bought new gas for the mix, primed it and it
started with a few yanks.
Kind of disappointed me. Was looking to get a new one, with 2
strings.
Anyway, it's always had touchy choking. If not fully choked and at
half-throttle, it won't fire. You'd think it was purely dead.
Then as soon as it fires, you have open the choke quickly, or it dies.
And I mean quick. Like 2 seconds quick.
Then it runs like a banshee.
So tricky choking causes some engines to seem dead.
I've seen the same on car/truck carbed engines, but on 2 strokes it
shows up much more.
Always check the choke first, then move to spark.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

Bulb could have a small crack that you can't see and it don't leak
because you have your finger over the crack, or fuel line has crack,
or you need to put gas in it.

I woud replace the fuel line. This is the most common problem. Then
replace the primer bulb ( less than $5). One or the other should solve
your problem.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 6:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:37:46 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

are we talking string trimmer? With a crank case full of oil? What
brand is that? It must be heavy. How's it work upside down? I really
don't need to get out more. I have stihl products, no need to go out
anymore at all.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 23:00:16 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 6/2/2012 6:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:37:46 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

At least some of us are, though it's hard sometimes to know exactly what
you're talking about, other than shilling for Stihl.

With a crank case full of oil?

Certainly.

What brand is that?

Mine is a Troy Bilt, but there are others.

It must be heavy.

Wrong.

How's it work upside down?

Quite well. Well, it's right side up, for the trimmer.

I really don't need to get out more.

Wrong, obviously.

I have stihl products, no need to go out anymore at all.

No doubt about it, you're just a Stihl shill. Fool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 10:28*pm, Hank wrote:
On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

If it were the bulb, there would be air in the sending line as well
as the return line. Also, I've never seen a bulb with an air leak
where fuel was not leaking out when it's pressed.

I woud replace the fuel line. This is the most common problem. Then
replace the primer bulb ( less than $5). One or the other should solve
your problem.

Hank- Hide quoted text -

It might be a leak right where the return line joins the carb. But
that's
where it would have to be because the bubbles are showing up right
where it leaves the carb. Again, no bubbles going in the carb, only
bubbles coming out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:21*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:28*pm, Hank wrote:

On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 10:53*am, Hank wrote:
On Jun 3, 8:21*am, "
wrote:

On Jun 2, 10:28*pm, Hank wrote:

On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

Obviously your experiences are different than mine. If I were to
repair his trimmer, the first thing I would do, with the symptoms he
gave, is to replace all fuel lines and primer bulb and spark plug.

I was not telling him what to do. I was asking about what to do
with MY problem, which is different.

This takes care of 90% of the problems. If he is too cheap to fork out
the $5-$10 to replace these parts, he is just wasting his time trying
to find out which one it is.

I have repaired unknown numbers of trimmers and 2 stroke equipment for
30+ years in a shop.

Hank- Hide quoted text -

Then I would think that you would agree that air bubbles in the return
line
from the carb, with no air bubbles in the supply line
from the tank and priming bulb can't be due to a leaking bulb, or a
leak in the fuel line from the tank to the bulb, right? If there is a
leak,
it would seem to me that it would have to be right where the supply
fuel line connects to the carb or else in the carb itself. And if
it's
leaking at the connection to the carb, wouldn't there typically be
some fuel leaking visibly when the priming bulb is pushed? It's
forcing fuel into the carb, so if there was a leak, wouldn't some
fuel come out under pressure?

One basic question is should there ever be air bubbles in the fuel
return
line after priming it say 10 times?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't think so. This is almost brand new.

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 19:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your kind advice. Sorry to take so long in getting
back. I had filled the tank with fresh fuel and left this project
alone for several days.
Today I bought a spark tester (easier than attempting to ground
the plug while pulling the start cord.) Recall I had guessed a bad
spark earlier. The spark was perfect!
Without choking, I depressed the throttle and the engine started
immediately.
So it appears Hank and some others were right. The engine must
have been severely flooded.
Initially in desperation I must have choked the engine more than I
thought. I feel very stupid about this and am sorry if I may have
misled you. I simply could not understand with the use of starting
fluid why I couldn't even get a sputter.
The cautionary tale here is this: Always follow starting
instructions exactly and be patient.
Just a word or two in defense of Homelite. For about 20 years I
had a string trimmer that started and ran flawlessly, only giving
trouble very recently. It had years of stale gas (I'm more careful
now) and never complained. I liked it because it had no centrifugal
clutch and didn't require being run at light speed. Also simply
speeding the engine momentarily to full throttle advanced the line- no
need to bump or insert line stubs manually.
So I have no problems with Homelite. And it turns out this problem
wasn't theirs!
Once again thank you all. I intend to do penance by running the
trimmer against my bare leg for one-half hour.
Frank