New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

Old June 1st 12, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:43:32 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.

Check that the plug wire is snug on the plug (wire terminal). Ensure
there are no cracks in the wire that can ground out on the engine.

For giggles, does this trimmer have an on OFF/ON switch? Nothing
sillier than starting an engine when the switch is "OFF"...

I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

....please let us know, for sure.
Old June 1st 12, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 1, 2012 11:26:25 AM UTC-4, Jim Yanik wrote:
perhaps the ethanol in the gas(E10) has swelled some rubber
part,restricting the fuel feed?

On a NEW unit, not likely. I suppose a "new" unit could be several months to over a year old, but usually new is new, a couple months at most. It takes more than a couple months for the ethanol gas to adversely effect rubber parts.

Maybe some piece of crap left over from the manufacturing/assembly process got wedged in somewhere, but you would need to know something about these units to tear it down and find the obstruction.

It would also require that the trimmer is past the box store's return policy, and the OP has no other option than to fix it himself or send it back to China for warranty repair.

lots of people are experiencing problems in small engines with ethanol in
the gas.

I can say I haven't had a single issue I could attribute to ethanol in the gas, myself. I leave my string trimmer sit full of gas over the winter and it starts on the second pull every time every spring. I have a 35-year-old chainsaw that I leave mix sit in for months at a time. Always runs.
Old June 1st 12, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

Well then, we know you're GETTING fuel to the carb.
When you see/say the plug was wet - it shouldn't be - unless
you had just very recently primed it.

That doesn't say anything as to whether you're getting spark.

Take the plug out, put the spark plug cap/boot on the plug.
Ground the bottom of the plug against the engine.
With switch turned 'on', pull the cord. You should see
a spark. You'll often 'hear' it as well.

Old June 2nd 12, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 1:49*am, "83LowRider" wrote:

If you prime the carb before checking
the plug, you should see gas on it plug.

The fuel from the primer bulb goes in the intake side of the
crankcase. Fuel has to go thru crankcase first, before it reaches the
plug on 2 strokes ( which I assume it is). He would have to push the
primer bulb and the pull the starter rope for fuel to show up on the
plug.

Hank
Old June 2nd 12, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:43*am, frank1492 wrote:
The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
* * I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

Take out the plug.
Pull the cord several times and let it sit for a day ( gets gas out of
crank case)
Next day pull it a couple more times
Get new plug and check for spark BEFORE you put it in
If no spark, check to make sure kill switch is in the RUN position
If you have spark, then install NEW plug
You're welcome

Hank
Old June 2nd 12, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:

If you prime the carb before checking
the plug, you should see gas on it plug.

The fuel from the primer bulb goes in the intake side of the
crankcase. Fuel has to go thru crankcase first, before it reaches the
plug on 2 strokes ( which I assume it is). He would have to push the
primer bulb and the pull the starter rope for fuel to show up on the
plug.

You are correct. I've assumed if he had been pushing
the primer bulb, that he had been pulling the rope to start it.

Old June 2nd 12, 05:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a
sputter.
I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I
think this may clinch it.

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says
"Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last
for only a few hours.

Honda and it will start much easier and last much longer.

Old June 2nd 12, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ours stopped after a few uses also. After much messing about, I found
that the screws that held the priming bulb to the carb had worked
loose and tightening them fixed the problem... Never had another
problem until the priming bulb and fuel line disintegrated (from being
left in the sun).
Old June 2nd 12, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"frank1492" wrote in message
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start.
Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart
into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once.
I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped.
Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the
compression is fine.)
I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't
seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping
the gas properly, but I may be off on that.
Thank you.
Frank

Read all the advice. I had a similar "don't want to start problem (Ryko).
Called customer service--got an experienced tech. Where the instructions
said "prime the bulb 7 times" he said do it as many as 14 times. If it
don't start then put it in the Run position, hold down the trigger and pull.
That does it every time. One other thing--the way I hold the unit while
trying to start also has a bearing--the inlet line in the tank can be out of
the fuel at times--I make sure that it is submerged when starting. Just a
thought--is it possible that the line in the fuel tank is
blocked/crimped/leaky?
MLD

Old June 2nd 12, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2012 08:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says
"Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last
for only a few hours.

Honda and it will start much easier and last much longer.

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

I used it as-was to cut the stump up, resharpening the blade every time
I hit dirt (which was frequent because this was a stump), and it worked
fine.

This year when I ran it to cut some trees (in the rain), after not much
work it wouldn't start. I cleaned the (clogged) air filter and bought a
new plug, and it's back to working like new.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon