Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default PVC Compression coupling - suitable for outdoor water pipe, and life span?

While I was digging up my water pipes, I came across a PVC compression
coupling that was used to connect two metal pipes together. How
suitable is this? This is in the main water line that goes into my
house, and I"m concerned about the life span of this coupling. It
doesn't leak at this point, but what kind of life span do these things
have? If I leave it, am I going to have to dig it up in a couple of
years when it starts to leak? I have most of this pipe dug up right
now, and it would be easier to replace it all now than to have to dig
it back up in a couple of years. OTOH if these things are good for a
few decades, then I'm just gonna fill the ditch in and leave it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 2:15*pm, Ook wrote:
While I was digging up my water pipes, I came across a PVC compression
coupling that was used to connect two metal pipes together. How
suitable is this? This is in the main water line that goes into my
house, and I"m concerned about the life span of this coupling. It
doesn't leak at this point, but what kind of life span do these things
have? If I leave it, am I going to have to dig it up in a couple of
years when it starts to leak? I have most of this pipe dug up right
now, and it would be easier to replace it all now than to have to dig
it back up in a couple of years. OTOH if these things are good for a
few decades, then I'm just gonna fill the ditch in and leave it.

Boy, you sure can start enough new threads about the
same thing. In the original thread you said the pipe from
the street was 40 years old, rusted, in unknown condition, etc.
Now you have it dug up and you're worried about just one fitting?
Why not just replace the whole run with whatever is approved
and typically used in your area? As I stated before, around
here, this part of NJ, that would be black poly 1" pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Boy, you sure can start enough new threads about the
same thing. * In the original thread you said the pipe from
the street was 40 years old, rusted, in unknown condition, etc.
Now you have it dug up and you're worried about just one fitting?
Why not just replace the whole run with whatever is approved
and typically used in your area? * As I stated before, around
here, this part of NJ, that would be black poly 1" pipe.

Well, each thread is different enough that I figured a new topic would
work better...though they tend to evolve and mix and match after a
while, maybe I should have kept it all as one LOL.

Oddly enough, type M copper is approved here. I would have though they
would use something thicker. The pipe from the water main to my meter
is copper, though I don't know what type.

I kinda wanted this thread to focus on the compression fitting -
suitability for this application and life span. If they are good for a
few decades, then I'm just going to fill in the trench and let the old
pipe sit there until I something happens and I need to dig it up
again. With luck that won't be for another 20 years. If they are known
to only last a limited number of years, then I would have to consider
taking action now while I have the pipes dug up.

FWIW, I disconnected the entire back yard line and plugged it at the
tee. I had to stop the bleeding. Now I'm considering replacing the
main line, or just filling in the ditch and gamble on it not causing
problems for another 10-20 years. It's a short run, and digging it up
wasn't all that much work compared to all the digging I had to do
around the side and back of house....I think the suitability of this
compression fitting is going to be the deciding vote - if they are
good for a few decades, I fill the ditch back in. If not, I bite the
bullet and replace the line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 3:11*pm, Ook wrote:
[...]

How much does peace of mind factor into this?

How hard/expensive would it be to eliminate the fitting by replacing
the line?

Somewhere in between those 2 items is your answer.

If someone in this group - someone sitting at a keyboard and not
looking into your trench - tells you that the fitting is good for
another 20 years and you bury it again, will that give you enough
peace of mind to sleep well for next few years?

You yourself said "it would be easier to replace it all now than to
have to dig it back up in a couple of years"

How much peace of mind would it give you to know that the fitting was
gone and you knew that you had new material, end to end?

The one piece I can't speak to is the cost, but I assume you can find
that out fairly easily, if you don't already know it. Only you know
the crossover point between complete peace of mind and the hit on your
budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ook wrote:
[...]

If the pipe is old and rusty, and you've already got it dug up, I wouldn't
hesitate to replace it. It'll cost you next to nothing at this point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 May 2012 11:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Ook
wrote:

While I was digging up my water pipes, I came across a PVC compression
coupling that was used to connect two metal pipes together.

That alone would tell me the metal pipe has already be repaired once.

-- make a decision

-- short of a decision, get a person that can make a decision

-- Replace the 50' run from meter to house

-- if you cannot do that get a person that can (make a decision)

-- given all the comments from these numerous threads, why are you
playing around beating a dead horse?

Replace the damn run by making a command decision!

Do it with minimum connections. The more connections you have
(underground) the a chances rise for future leaks.

Can you make a decision?

PEX will do everything you need, but don't trust me or a long term
history of PEX reliability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

While I was digging up my water pipes, I came across a PVC compression
coupling that was used to connect two metal pipes together.

That alone would tell me the metal pipe has already be repaired once.

-- make a decision

-- short of a decision, get a person that can make a decision

-- Replace the 50' run from meter to house

-- if you cannot do that get a person that can (make a decision)

-- given all the comments from these numerous threads, why are you
playing around beating a dead horse?

Replace the damn run by making a command decision!

Do it with minimum connections. The more connections you have
(underground) the a chances rise for future leaks.

Can you make a decision?

PEX will do everything you need, but don't trust me or a long term
history of PEX reliability.

Are you saying there isn't a long-term history of PEX, or that you
don't know, or what? Your comments are cryptic and I'm niot sure
what you were trying to say!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm saying use PEX, a 50" run - two connections and be done without
this beating around the bush. Provided PEX is approved by local
codes. I would do it anyway. if it wasn't. Who approved a PVC
Compression coupling between two metal pipes.

... OP can stop nit picking , fix the leak in one swoop and be DONE!.

(from meter to house) branching into an addition irrigation line can't
be REAL difficult.

Somebody needs to make a decision and be DONE with the project.

OP can do as he pleases. No beans off my plate.

Did I mention PEX is historically reliable?

/rant off
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 May 2012 12:54:42 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

How much does peace of mind factor into this?

First time I heard that was from the first lawyer I ever hired.
I was young.
Then I started hearing it more and more.
Now I practically live by it.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just replace the ENTIRE LINE, leave nothing of the existing
line....!!!!!!!

if you want overkill and PEX is permitted in your area......

Run the PEX inside a PVC line from curb to meter....

this minimizes digging in the future and protects the line from
mechanical damage. if the PEX ever has a problem just dig at each end
and snake a new line thru the PVC, use schedule 40 for added
durability....

I wouldnt use copper too many people are stealing it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 6:49*pm, bob haller wrote:
Just replace the ENTIRE LINE, leave nothing of the existing
line....!!!!!!!

if you want overkill and PEX is permitted in your area......

Run the PEX inside a PVC line from curb to meter....

this minimizes digging in the future and protects the line from
mechanical damage. if the PEX ever has a problem just dig at each end
and snake a new line thru the PVC, use schedule 40 for added
durability....

I wouldnt use copper too many people are stealing it

Good idea for the double-layered line, and not that $$ either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 12:11*pm, Ook wrote:
[...]

Compression fittings in general have a good service life. If in doubt
about that one fitting, replace it with a metal one.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 May 2012 11:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Ook wrote
Re PVC Compression coupling - suitable for outdoor water pipe, and
life span?:

OTOH if these things are good for a
few decades, then I'm just gonna fill the ditch in and leave it.

They are usually good for decades unless you disturb them. You didn't
touch it, shake it, vibrate it or move it when you dug it up did you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
Just replace the ENTIRE LINE, leave nothing of the existing

if you want overkill and PEX is permitted in your area......

Run the PEX inside a PVC line from curb to meter....

Inside poly would probably work a lot better than PVC for this.