Can you transport a Washing machine on its side?

Old May 5th 12, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you transport a Washing machine on its side?

Some washing machines have a transmission or gearcase with a vent that
will leak lubricant when not upright. Often if tipped on the "correct"
side the vent will not leak, but may leak when tipped over from the
opposite direction. Ask the manufacturer or a service technician, or
take a look at a parts diagram.

Old May 6th 12, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff H" wrote in message
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock
that you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock
for upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but
not upright in my wife Vue.

Sears will deliver

Old May 6th 12, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/05/12 7:41 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"Cliff H" wrote in message
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears
scratch and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its
in the basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock
that you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is
lock for upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways
but not upright in my wife Vue.

Sears will deliver

They may not deliver scratch & dent...at least not for free.

I was in HD today and noticed a floor model washer and dryer set on sale
for 25% off. In the fine print it said that "free delivery" and "haul
away" do not apply to clearance items.

Delivery & disposal charges will eat into the savings experienced by
buying scratch & dent or clearance items.

Old May 6th 12, 06:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 May 2012 09:45:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 5, 12:12*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch
and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the
basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that
you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for
upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not
upright in my wife Vue.

Call the manufacturer and ask them.

Depending on how good a deal it is, you might be able to rent a
trailer, like an landscaping trailer, for a few hours at a fairly
cheap rate.

I once rented a landscaping trailer for something like $30 to bring
home a "last year's model" lawn tractor. We got over $250 off the list
price, so the $30 didn't hurt too much.

An 8'x5' UHaul trailer is only $19/day. I've been renting one on Saturday and
only have to return it by Monday to get the one day rate (the UHaul store is
closed on Sunday - but I normally drop it off late Saturday night).
Old May 7th 12, 02:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 5, 12:12*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
[...]

closed on Sunday - but I normally drop it off late Saturday night).- Hide quoted text -

I don't recall the exact price for the landscaping trailer rental (it
was under $30, might even have been $19 plus tax) but it had the
advantage of the dropdown gate making it real easy to roll the riding
mower up onto it and tie it down.

Since then, I've built ramps and have hauled the mower in the 5 x 8
trailer that I own. At the time of the mower purchase my trailer had a
slide out shelf system installed and it wasn't worth the cost of the
rental to dismantle it just to move the mower from Sear's to my son's
house.
Old May 8th 12, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2012 06:23:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

On May 5, 12:12*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
[...]

The open UHaul trailers are the same price as the closed (same size, 5'x8'),
so there really isn't any advantage to them. Rain is also an issue. We're in
the process of moving (for the next two or three months) about 80 miles, so
the UHaul comes in handy. It's cheap enough (though the gas for my truck
costs about 3x the rental).

Since then, I've built ramps and have hauled the mower in the 5 x 8
trailer that I own. At the time of the mower purchase my trailer had a
slide out shelf system installed and it wasn't worth the cost of the
rental to dismantle it just to move the mower from Sear's to my son's
house.

I made ramps for my truck out of aluminum "ramp ends" and 2x8x8s, but it's a
4WD and the bed is pretty high for 8' ramps. I found that they're perfect for
the UHaul trailer. The opening is only a foot off the ground so they work
well. I loaded my Unisaw by myself last weekend. I bought a lawn tractor at
Sears Saturday and will pick it up next Saturday and drive it to the new house
(no Sears stores in the area).

oil/grease on washing from the washing machine Dave UK diy 7 January 10th 11 05:15 PM
Washing machine.... kev007 UK diy 7 December 14th 06 09:13 AM
Can I transport an air compressor on its side? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 6 May 29th 06 04:48 PM
moving washing machine to opposite side of wall Buzz Home Repair 6 December 28th 04 02:26 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM