Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Countersink nails on Exterior Paint Job

I am having my house exterior painted. Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Only if you two agreed, before the job started and was paid.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Senin" wrote in message
I am having my house exterior painted. Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 02:56:24 -0700 (PDT), Senin
wrote:

I am having my house exterior painted. Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?

Sure. . . if that's what you wrote on his contract. If you just
said 'make it pretty'-- then everything is left up in the air.

He wins.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 2:56*am, Senin wrote:
I am having my house exterior painted. *Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?

*IF* you can argue that 'counter sinking nail heads' is included as
part of a standard methodology for an expected high quality paint job;
go for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 7:41*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:56*am, Senin wrote:

I am having my house exterior painted. *Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?

*IF* you can argue that 'counter sinking nail heads' is included as
part of a standard methodology for an expected high quality paint job;
go for it.

Sorry. I guess my question should have been...
Is countersinking nails part of standard methodology for an expected
high quality paint job.

And, by the way, the painters left for the weekend. Leaving the
windows and patio door covered in plastic. Is that standard operating
procedures, or should they have removed them? I think if it were just
overnight, I could see them leaving them, but an entire weekend seems
like a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
And, by the way, the painters left for the weekend. Leaving the
windows and patio door covered in plastic. Is that standard operating
procedures, or should they have removed them? I think if it were just
overnight, I could see them leaving them, but an entire weekend seems
like a long time.

Yeah, it it like overnight and a couple of days. If you use that door on a
regular basis, it should have been removed, otherwise, not a big deal and it
saves time on Monday. Assuming they are going to show up.

Sounds like poor timing if all the windows are covered though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2012 5:56 AM, Senin wrote:
I am having my house exterior painted. Full paint job, I even paid
extra for his handyman/carpenter to replace dryrotted planks on my
wood siding.

My question is...

Should part of his job be to countersink the nails that are exposed on
the siding?

Seems like...if not, then they will eventually be exposed (wood shrinks
a tad, nails don't), corrode, then get paint peeling. Don't know what
SOP is, but I cover with paintable caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2012 2:13 PM, Senin wrote:
On Apr 28, 7:41 am, Robert wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:56 am, wrote:

[...]

It would add substantially to work/cost to remove it and reapply. When
did they start? What is expected completion time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 2:56*am, Senin wrote:

[...]

In my experience, even painter's tape's adhesive likes to become
permanant after 24 hours, *and* permanent almost immediately upon
exposure to heat and sun. - never did get that @#$$@#$ stuff off!
after leaving for 7 days. ...in the shade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my experience, even painter's tape's adhesive likes to become
permanant after 24 hours, *and* permanent almost immediately upon
exposure to heat and sun. - never did get that @#$$@#$ stuff off!
after leaving for 7 days. ...in the shade.

Try these solvents to remove the residue:

Rubbing alcohol
WD40
Paint thinner
Charcoal starter fluid
Might also try automobile bug/tar remover