DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sprinkler wire question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/339868-sprinkler-wire-question.html)

genius May 4th 12 10:40 PM

Sprinkler wire question

Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

EXT May 5th 12 12:47 AM

Sprinkler wire question

"genius" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

I would say it depends on how much power in watts the valves draw and the
voltage. 50 watts at 120 volts is .416 amps but at 12 volts it will draw
4.16 amps, cat5 cable is probably only 22 gauge and cannot carry many amps.
Also cat5 may not last long in the ground and exposed to water and other
elements.

dpb May 5th 12 01:19 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/4/2012 3:40 PM, genius wrote:
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones...

As another poster says, it'll depend on what the actual current draw is
and that'll depend on what the number of valves/zone is and the power to
control each and the operating voltage level. My guess is that the
answer is 'no'; there's not enough ampacity in signal cable or the
spec's wouldn't go to anything as heavy as what you've quoted.

Cat 5 is, afaik, not specified specifically by conductor diameter but by
digital transmission performance spec's but I believe it generally is in
the 22-24 AWG range. From the following table for power transmission
you see you're going to be very limited in how much current you can
draw. 22 AWG is as little under 1 A; 24 AWG is under 0.6 A.

I _think_ I've seen typical lawn valve spec's at 24 VAC/200 mA holding
current but inrush is probably 2-3X that.

If there's only a single valve of that size on each conductor pair you
_might_ get away with it for such a short run, but the answer is you
really probably need a minimum of 18 AWG and probably out to think more
like 16 or so. Of course, if your valves are higher draw or more/zone,
needs will go up, too.

Your surest bet is to match wire size to what is already there; one
would assume the installer didn't waste materials for no good reason.

chaniarts[_3_] May 5th 12 01:29 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/4/2012 4:19 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

also take into account voltage drop. smaller wire will have a larger
voltage drop than larger wire.

dpb May 5th 12 02:20 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/4/2012 6:29 PM, chaniarts wrote:

also take into account voltage drop. smaller wire will have a larger
voltage drop than larger wire.

Yes, but he's only got a 25-ft or less run so that's negligible factor
in this case. For the overall installation it's significant, yes.

Steve Barker[_6_] May 5th 12 02:56 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/4/2012 3:40 PM, genius wrote:
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

it all boils down to how much current do the remote valves require or
pull? You should be able to find the specs on the mfgr website. 24ga
won't carry much current. But i can't imagine it needing to be 14.
Most the rainbird installations i've seen have used 18ga or so. Some
18/8 thermostat cable may do the trick.

--
Steve Barker

DD_BobK May 5th 12 04:14 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 4, 5:56*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 5/4/2012 3:40 PM, genius wrote:

SNIP

it all boils down to how much current do the remote valves require or
pull? *You should be able to find the specs on the mfgr website. *24ga
won't carry much current. *But i can't imagine it needing to be 14.
Most the rainbird installations i've seen have used 18ga or so. *Some
18/8 thermostat cable may do the trick.

--
Steve Barker

+1

I originally wired up my front & back yard sprinker valves using a 14
gage wire.
I had a bunch of nearly used up 500' rolls and wanted to make sure
there was no voltage drop.

The each run was about 35' to controller location......basement, which
was a really dumb idea I had back in 1980.
Some time later I moved the controller to a more sensible location
(back yard patio).

In 2008 I redid some of the sprinkler system and was doing some
crawlspace work as part of the job.
I decided to run the properly sized wire, in the proper way and
settled on 18-8 thermostat cable.

I didn't find 18-8 thermostat cable at Home Depot so I bought it
online.
After the fact I discovered that Home Depot sells burial-able
sprinkler wire in all sorts of flavors.......
but they stock it in the plumbing dept (sprinklers) not in
electrical.....doh!

I installed a run of a cable to each valve manifold (35', 40' &
55').
The valve actuators are Champion CL-100-B's
The solenoid current:
In rush .59 amp
Hold .33 amp

I think I calc'd voltage drop at in-rush for the 55' run at about .5
volt (2%)

Everything has been working fine since 2008.

cheers
Bob

[email protected][_2_] May 5th 12 02:41 PM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 4, 10:14*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

Thermostat wire does not have insulation rated for
burial. Sprinkler wire which is readily available at HD,
hardware stores, online, etc does. It's 18 gauge
which is all that's needed for that Orbit sprinkler
system. Whoever put 12 gauge, which could handle
12 amps, in a sprinkler system is a real chowder
head. The thing is powered off a wall wart for God's
sake.

Steve Barker[_6_] May 5th 12 05:19 PM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/5/2012 7:41 AM, wrote:
On May 4, 10:14 pm, wrote:
On May 4, 5:56 pm, Steve wrote:

[...]

i hear ya and agree. But the OP wasn't talking about burying the cable.
only extending them in a basement. thanks for playing.

--
Steve Barker

[email protected][_2_] May 5th 12 08:22 PM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 5, 11:19*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 5/5/2012 7:41 AM, wrote:

On May 4, 10:14 pm, *wrote:
On May 4, 5:56 pm, Steve *wrote:

[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

So, your first and apparently only choice for extending sprinkler
wiring inside a house would be thermostat cable instead of sprinkler
cable?
They are both readily available and about the same price.
The guy apparently already has some kind of 12 gauge wire
in the system.
Why add to the confusion for a future home inspector to start
looking into orfor a future homeowner by using thermostat wire?

Steve Barker[_6_] May 5th 12 10:28 PM

Sprinkler wire question

On 5/5/2012 1:22 PM, wrote:
On May 5, 11:19 am, Steve wrote:
On 5/5/2012 7:41 AM, wrote:

On May 4, 10:14 pm, wrote:
On May 4, 5:56 pm, Steve wrote:

[...]

why not? It's bound to be cheaper than some speciality direct burial
capable cable. Not worried about the future home owner OR inspector.

--
Steve Barker

[email protected][_2_] May 6th 12 03:38 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 5, 4:28*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 5/5/2012 1:22 PM, wrote:

On May 5, 11:19 am, Steve *wrote:
On 5/5/2012 7:41 AM, wrote:

On May 4, 10:14 pm, * *wrote:
On May 4, 5:56 pm, Steve * *wrote:

[...]

The problem is that simply isn't true.
As I posted previously, they are about the same
price. Sprinkler wire isn't exotic. It's cheap and
readily available. And sprinkler wire of 10, or even 12 conductors
isn't hard to find. I've never seen 10 or 12 conductor thermostat
wire. It may exist, but it's not common.

You may not be worried about future home owners,
home inspectors, etc, but many people are. I'd
rather do a job using the normal materials instead of
materials that point to amateur work.

DD_BobK May 7th 12 06:49 AM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 5, 5:41*am, "
wrote:
On May 4, 10:14*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

[...]

I had a feeling someone would misunderstand my post.
The thermostat wire & direct burial sprinkler wire are by no means
interchangeable in all situations.

I did not bury the thermostat wire.....
I don't do direct burial of any wire (even the stuff rated for direct
burial), I use conduit.

I was talking merely discussing wire size.....

cheers
Bob

genius May 7th 12 05:28 PM

Sprinkler wire question

On May 4, 2:40*pm, genius wrote:
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. *It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. *Is that the required thickness? *I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones * That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. *I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. *Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

Hey Everyone, thanks for the all the ideas. The main reason I wanted
cat 5 was that when I ran it around the garage I would have a single
wire with 8 cores vs 8 exposed wires that I woul have to tie together
or run through PVC. If I can find some of that 18-8 wire, I will use
that since I am all indoors and not going to bury anything.

As for the this system and it's nuances, I believe it's about 40 years
old and I've been in the house 6 years. There's no exposed
manifolds. I had to rent a line locator and dug a ton of holes to try
to find the scattered valves in the yard. 2 of the valves were
covered with 1/2 a beer can, 3 valves were covered with some pajama
bottoms or sweat pants. The main turn on/off for the system is 6'
down in the front yard and I just had that bypassed since the valve
was getting extremely difficult to open/close . They used 1" line for
the sprinklers and valves but used 3/4" line to the backflow
preventer. So whoever installed this system seems incompetent to me
and their use of the thick 12g wire I have no explanation for but it's
there, it works and I don't see a reason to not use it.

Thanks again!