Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Prices lowered for the economy?

I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price.
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than
no
job?

Keep your prices up there. You look like you could do without a meal or
three for a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 5:51*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

No-one can say. Depends how your finances are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:51:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

All I can say is, many people are, including me.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

What does the competition charge? I think unless you have a good
reason to be above them, you need to be competitive to stay busy. I
don't think you can afford to be too much below them neither for
decent profit and reputation of quality / legitimacy. Then I guess
all this goes out the window if your finances are so bad you need the
work like yesterday. You have to make the final call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2012 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I wouldn't but do you price by the job or by the hour?

In my consulting, I price by the hour.

Whatever, best explain to customers why either gives them the better deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2012 9:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

This is a very complex question that depends a LOT on your business
model and financial condition. How many employees you've got standing
around. What's in the warehouse depreciating.

Lowering prices is generally bad psychology.

All you have to do is read the stuff in your mailbox or watch TV.

It's not about price. It's about perceived value and creating a sense
of urgency to purchase.

Car companies do it by bundling a bunch of high-margin features you
probably wouldn't buy and telling you you're getting a bargain
on the deluxe package.

Food stores do it with a coupon. Milk for $1.99/gal (with $10 purchase...
not including booze, cigarettes...endless list of exceptions).
Good Saturday only. Low price on something you want.
Urgency. Collateral purchase.

With a service business, you have to make the phone ring.
Once you have 'em on the line, you have options.
People often buy from the last place they contact.
If you've got equivalent pricing, you need urgency.
"We've got a special this week. Free air filter with
furnace service." 1-year additional labor warranty
on high-efficiency furnaces. Giving away something that may cost
you nothing, but has perceived value to the customer.

"I've got a truck in your area this afternoon. I can give
you 10% off the trip charge if we can do it this afternoon."

I'm a low price doityourselfer/tightwad.
The torsion spring on my garage door broke last weekend.
I googled and discovered that you can't buy the springs any more.
But you can use the conversion chart to get similar springs
with no guarantee that they'll work. And there ain't much you can
do to change the torque of the spring after it's wound.
They're expensive and expensive to ship. And no guarantee that
the door will balance well enough for my wimpy opener to manage the lift.

So, I grit my teeth and started thinking about having it done.
I narrowed it down to four places.
First place had a coupon for door spring replacement and the lowest price.
Their address was local, but the phone was half a state away
and long distance. I drove by the address...It was a residence.
Took 'em a day to answer my email, but didn't answer ANY of my questions.

Third was out of business.
Fourth wouldn't sell me springs and the installed cost was high.

I visited the second choice last because of the logistics of the trip.
Springs of the converted size were a little more expensive than
the cheapest I'd found online. They could do the job the next day.
They guaranteed the door opener would work when they were done.
So, I spent an extra $100 more than DIY for the peace of mind that it
would work. People who know the tightness of my wallet would think I'd
had a brain aneurysm.

Turns out that the door balance was a non-issue, but I didn't know that
at the time.

There was some urgency, I wanted the garage door open.
I didn't take the cheapest option.
I bought from the last place I visited because they instilled
confidence.

Cutting price without a long-term analysis is risky.
Increasing perceived value is always good business.
Coupons are used because they limit the damage and don't
create long-term expectations of lower price.

I wouldn't count on the economy getting better any time soon.
Discretionary spending is down.
You'd best offer services that people MUST have at a price that
will keep you in business.
Sometimes you just need a new career. Hanging on to a failing business
too long drains your resources to the point that you can't afford the
startup of the new business.
Merging with a similar business can benefit both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 12:51*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

sure, and next time you are at the gas station, super market, doctor,
lawyer, or cable company, tell them you want to pay them less as well.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2012 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I dunno if my post will help you or confuse you but never underestimate
the power of word of mouth.

We purchased a furnace this year, a 96% Afue with variable speed ECM
blower, single stage.

I shopped for 3 quotes but I went with the 40 year old guy who spent 2
hours trying to isolate and solve what he could with the 14 year old
furnace. (partially running control board that was gonna cost $600 to fix)

I wanted him to lower his price by $500 for the new furance and all the
related plenum and installation and modifications and he wasn't really
happy with my request (could just tell by his voice) but we agreed to go
$250 off. He gave us a really competitive quote to begin with so he was
annoyed I asked for more, but we agreed in the end.

The reason he was willing to go lower with me was I told him he did a
thorough inspection of the old unit and did his best to see if it was
worth keeping it and that we appreciated that effort. He waived his
initial repair visit charge to us.

Installation took him 90 minutes longer than he hoped, his wife was
calling him at our house to come to dinner, but I told him he could use
us as a reference if need be and he thanked us for that and I offered to
keep his sign on our lawn till air conditioning season, which he seemed
grateful. Free advertising and free word of mouth, that's what we
offered him back.

I hope his young business grows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

sure, and next time you are at the gas station, super market, doctor,
lawyer, or cable company, tell them you want to pay them less as well.

Mark

We bargain all the time with the cable company.
Every time our low cost option expires we ask for the current one and
threaten to switch to FIOS. We get what we want.

We recently got a letter from our development that a trash hauler that
got a lot of customers here would do it at almost half what it was
costing us. We called ours and told him and he dropped price to match.

Go to your doctor and tell him you will pay cash if he reduces his rate.
Good chance he will.

Senior discounts, I get them all the time.

But, when I sell my consulting service, there is no bargaining.
Flat hourly rate take it or leave it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Reality check...

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"JRStern" wrote in message

All I can say is, many people are, including me.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure what others charge. I should make some calls.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message

What does the competition charge? I think unless you have a good
reason to be above them, you need to be competitive to stay busy. I
don't think you can afford to be too much below them neither for
decent profit and reputation of quality / legitimacy. Then I guess
all this goes out the window if your finances are so bad you need the
work like yesterday. You have to make the final call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typically trip charge plus parts plus labor. I'm getting the sense that most
folks don't have much money.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

I wouldn't but do you price by the job or by the hour?

In my consulting, I price by the hour.

Whatever, best explain to customers why either gives them the better deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that argument. Today, I got a call that probably could have been
"some" money. The question of course, several. Cheapskates tend to also be
PIA and not want to pay, and so on.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mark" wrote in message news:3c9edb21-f3cd-40af-bca6-

sure, and next time you are at the gas station, super market, doctor,
lawyer, or cable company, tell them you want to pay them less as well.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You could always raise your prices and either tell them that you are so busy
they'd have to pay for "priority" or that you had to raise your prices because
you were spending so much time repairing your competitors work

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:23:22 -0400, Frank
wrote Re Prices lowered for the
economy?:

We bargain all the time with the cable company.
Every time our low cost option expires we ask for the current one and
threaten to switch to FIOS. We get what we want.

We recently got a letter from our development that a trash hauler that
got a lot of customers here would do it at almost half what it was
costing us. We called ours and told him and he dropped price to match.

Go to your doctor and tell him you will pay cash if he reduces his rate.
Good chance he will.

Senior discounts, I get them all the time.

But, when I sell my consulting service, there is no bargaining.
Flat hourly rate take it or leave it.

Given all the time you spend here, I'll bet a lot leave it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:47*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:23:22 -0400, Frank
wrote Re Prices lowered for the
economy?:

We bargain all the time with the cable company.
Every time our low cost option expires we ask for the current one and
threaten to switch to FIOS. *We get what we want.

We recently got a letter from our development that a trash hauler that
got a lot of customers here would do it at almost half what it was
costing us. *We called ours and told him and he dropped price to match..

Go to your doctor and tell him you will pay cash if he reduces his rate.
Good chance he will.

Senior discounts, I get them all the time.

But, when I sell my consulting service, there is no bargaining.
Flat hourly rate take it or leave it.

Given all the time you spend here, I'll bet a lot leave it.

I'm retired, probably with too much time on my hands.
My consulting is only a few days a month and most for one client.
Actually when I explain my charges, they usually take it and don't try
to reduce it.
I have probably turned down more jobs than I accepted all for reasons
other than money.
I also quit dealing with intermediaries as customer would end up
paying double and I'd waste more time dealing with those that would
not hire the agency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 11:21 AM, Frank wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:47 am, Caesar wrote:
[...]

I do all sorts of work and the thing most folks can't get through their
heads is the fact that I don't sell parts, I sell my time. The price of
my time is based on the number of years and the cost of me gaining the
skills and knowledge I possess. People who complain about the cost of
labor for a job are the same people who will pay a lawyer $250.00 for
a few sheets of paper without batting an eye. I tell them, you pay an
attorney $250.00 for 10 cents worth of paper and you're complaining
about paying me $250.00 for an electric motor and the time it took me to
remove/install and obtain said motor for you plus coming to you? Do
you have brain damage or something? I do fire customers on a regular
basis if they're the constant complaining type. I'm never nasty to them,
I simply tell them that I can no longer help them, please call
someone else. Call Monstrous Repair Service with 150 service techs and
you'll find out why it is they all drive shiny new trucks. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Many years ago, in 1996. I had access to the Sears repair flat rate book. I
wish I'd made photo copies of it. their cheapest no heat call "educate
customer" was $136, and that was in 1996.

I've also fired customers, though not often.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have also fired customers, all were totally unreasonable......

I never regretted my decision on any of them.

Its a select small group

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can think of two, who were really notable. One was a car dealer who was
continously verbally abusive. He was orally abusive, too. Second was a
company that wanted me to rekey locks at a business, using a master key
chart generated by another locksmith. I figured out that keys to one area
would fit another area. They just said hope no one finds out. Oh, I remember
the third, I let him go after a couple of his checks bounced.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have also fired customers, all were totally unreasonable......

I never regretted my decision on any of them.

Its a select small group

General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools Upscale Woodworking 8 November 29th 07 08:23 PM
Economy 7 Ed_Zep UK diy 12 May 9th 05 06:43 AM
Lowered price on Bosch 4410 SCMS from Amazon Dick Snyder Woodworking 4 December 17th 04 05:45 PM
Lowered ceiling Charles Middleton UK diy 17 December 8th 04 01:56 PM
Sewage question in lowered basement... Darryl Home Repair 3 November 22nd 03 03:59 AM