Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.
Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 29, 2013 7:13:12 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:20:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.

Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Looks like it just needs tuck pointing.

Get a couple estimates from guys who do tuck pointing.

I wouldn't want chimney sweepers doing anything but chimney sweeping.

+1

It looks like it's in good shape, just needs some pointing
done in the upper left area of the first pic. Looks like
there could be some cracks in the top too. I'd get estimates
from a couple of masons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2013 12:20 AM, wrote:
Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.
Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

I had something like this done a few years ago when chimney guy was
doing other work. Coating was something I could have done myself but at
my age, roof climbing is a thing of the past. My chimney top was in
worse shape than yours.

Can't recall price but it was part of their doing something else and not
a separate trip. As part of other work, it did not cost that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys
come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney
Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+
labor) and I fear being scammed.
Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too
comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Off hand, I'd say the sweep guys are scamming you. With the cracks, you
need more than something you brush/spray on.

Last year, I had cracked brick around the crown. Water got in through the
cracked crown, froze, and well, you know what happens. I had a mason come
out. He totally removed the crown, replaced 4 bricks, placed a new crown on
the double flue, then sprayed the entire chimney with a clear sealer a
couple days later. Price: $500.00

Have it done right, instead of throwing good money away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:20:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.

Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

If it’s a legitimate licensed company the high cost of labor can be attributed to very high insurance costs for any type of roof work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:20:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor)

I doubt if that is enough. I think you need a Royal Christening,
which runs about $10,000 plus labor.

and I fear being scammed.

I know how you feel. The first guy I called, just to clean the stove
pipe chimneys (fireplace and furnace) , I had no idea what the price
should be, so I called another one and he was cheaper and could come
within a couple days.

He told me the stove pipe from the oil furnace to the chimney had
creosote and it was rusting and he couldn't clean that chimney until
it was replaced, at $600. I said I had to think about it. He charged
me for the fireplace, but not the furnace. That was good.

I called the first guy who was about $20 more and I told him, "I
thought only wood had creosote". He said, "No oil has it too, but you
don't have anay" and "Your pipes are getting old (33 years) but they
don't need replacing yet." and he charged me for the cleaning and
left. He was the owner and sole cleaner, iirc.

Later I saw ratings for the guy who wanted to replace things, and he
had a couple serious complaints, one mentioned the same phone
receptionist I had talked to (who told me about the creosote when the
guy who came out hadn't mentioned it.) This wasn't Angie's list**
but Yahoo or some other phone number listing.

**Angie's list annoyed me, because I filled out the whole first page
before it said that it cost money.

Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

What the others said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:20:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.

Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

check out http://atbayappliance.com/news-and-tips/ for news and tips on repair from a reliable company in california.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:52:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I got a virus notice when I clicked on the first link.

It worked here. You may have gotten a false positive. Now and then
it happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I agree, plus the crown looks cracked in a few places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys
come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need
"Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something
costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed. Can you take a look at
these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too
comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Sam_7279_zpsb
f851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Sam_1206_zpse
5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Sam_1188_zps0
2c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Sam_1207_zpsc
f5fd75f.jpg

Thoughts:

On the left patch job, cement should not be butted up against the flue.
Expansion could cause the flue to crack. There should be a gap about
1/4" between the cap and flue filled with the likes of polyurethane or
as described below during build.

The total story of caps is here. But it speaks of the gap and why is is
needed. JLC is a well respected trade magazine.

http://www.jlconline.com/masonry-con...imney-cap.aspx

"Figure 4.Built of concrete rather than mortar for durability, this
industry-recommended chimney-cap design features a small gap around the
flue that allows it to move independently of the cap when it heats up
and expands."

"A bond break is important. My next step was to wrap the flue with
foil-faced bubble-pack insulation. Approximately 1/4 inch thick,
inflammable, and easy to wrap around the flue liner, this product is the
best I've found for isolating the concrete cap from the flue. It has
enough body to hold back the concrete during the pour, yet contains air
spaces that allow for differential movement between the cap and the flue
(Figure 7)."

Left flue, what is that faint black vertical line just to the right of
center going from the cap up? (had to enlarge the pic to see better).

On that right flue, I would wonder why there is black at the base where
the cap is butted to the flue. Exhaust coming up the outside of the flue
at one point?

Not a chimney wiz. Probably just paranoia on my part. Questions I would
wonder though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

wrote in
:

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys
come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need
"Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something
costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed. Can you take a look
at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too
comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_7279_zps
b f851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1206_zps
e 5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1188_zps
0 2c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1207_zps

http://www.jlconline.com/masonry-con...-leaking-chimn
[...]

p.s.

Kind of high???! It's 5 times that height when you're on a ladder. And
with that roof pitch, coming at it from that side is NFG.

Worth every dime to let a pro with life and medical insurance do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Other than aesthetics, what other problems do you have with the chimney?

I see the following problems:
1. cracking of chimney mortar cap
2. brick pointing is missing
3. several bricks have spalled along the facade.

The chimney sweeps said that the "chimney saver" clear coat will help to stop the brick spalling. I am assuming that I need something on the chimney cap to prevent further cracking. Am I missing anything??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks like it just needs tuck pointing.

Get a couple estimates from guys who do tuck pointing.

I wouldn't want chimney sweepers doing anything but chimney sweeping.

"Tuck pointing..." ok, Thanks for the advice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:20:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed. Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome. I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration. Thanks! http://i899.photobucket..com/albums/...psbf851051.jpg http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Photos are good, did youclimbup on the roof to take them or use a telephoto lens. If you are in an area where the tempserature goes below freezing, then getting the chimney tuck-pointed is probably a good idea. If in the deep south, it probably is not as necessary. The flashing from the roof to the chimney looks ok, and the chimney cap has already been repaired on time, and I don't think it looks all that bad. Now, as far as what is inside the chimney, we can't tell. What do you do that requires the chiney sweeps to come out at all. If you just have a gas or oil furnace, I wouldn't think you need a chimney sweep more that once every ten years or so, maybe not even that often. If you burn wood regularly, then every couple of years is probably good unless you burn one of those creosote removing logs every few weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Other than aesthetics, what other problems do you have with the chimney?

I see the following problems:
1. cracking of chimney mortar cap
2. brick pointing is missing
3. several bricks have spalled along the facade.

The chimney sweeps said that the "chimney saver" clear coat will help to stop the brick spalling. I am assuming that I need something on the chimney cap to prevent further cracking. Am I missing anything??

I didn't think I saw a big chip coming out of one brick. I don't
want to reload the photos now, unless you give me more reason to.

In 1957 we bought a house that was built after 1950, I think. First
litle chips came out of the brick, in one or two parts of the walls
and the chimney. Then the chips got bigger. My mother talked to
someone who said to "paint" the whole thing with silicone, or silicon,
or silicone-nnnnnnn. It came in gallon cans, not paint cans iirc but
like for turpentine. I did that and I think it helped quite a bit.
It was clear so it was hard to tell where I'd painted and where I
hadn't but I think I did a good job, and I was only 14. Maybe they
make a better product now??

I didn't go above 8 feet, and I think my mother paid to rebuild the
top 8 whatchamaclallits, layers of brick of the chimney. Then she
sold the house in 1966 and I think the new owner rebuilt the chimney
from about 9 feet up. Made it shorter and funny looking too, but who
used it? The only fireplace was in the living room.

We weren't the first owners, but when we still owned it, my mother
eventually found out who the builder was. Even though I"m almost
positive he had no *legal* duty, he had given money to some other
owners whose houses he built with the same bad batch of brick. He
had an appointment to come over to our house and I'm sure he would
have given us some money, but he had a heart attack and died about 4
days before that. Not because of us. It was still generous of
him, given the way most businessmen are, but whatever it took to pay
everyone who asked was not going to change his stanardard of living.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Silicone was and is a good penetrating sealer. Its purpose is to prevent
water intrusion and damage from same; in cold climates, water intrusion that
then freezes will ultimately mess up any masonry because water expands as it
freezes.

Maybe they make a better product now??

There are other penetrating sealers, one of which (name escapes me now)
combines chemically with the ingredients in the masonry.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Other than aesthetics, what other problems do you
have with the chimney?

I see the following problems:
1. cracking of chimney mortar cap
2. brick pointing is missing
3. several bricks have spalled along the facade.

The chimney sweeps said that the "chimney saver" clear
coat will help to stop the brick spalling. I am
assuming that I need something on the chimney cap to
prevent further cracking. Am I missing anything??

I didn't think I saw a big chip coming out of one brick.

I DID think a saw a missing chip.

I don't want to reload the photos now, unless you give me
more reason to.

In 1957 we bought a house that was built after 1950, I
think. First litle chips came out of the brick, in one
or two parts of the walls and the chimney. Then the
chips got bigger. My mother talked to someone who said
to "paint" the whole thing with silicone, or silicon, or
silicone-nnnnnnn. It came in gallon cans, not paint cans
iirc but like for turpentine. I did that and I think it
helped quite a bit. It was clear so it was hard to tell
where I'd painted and where I hadn't but I think I did a
good job, and I was only 14.

Silicone was and is a good penetrating sealer. Its purpose is to prevent

Good, I got it right.

water intrusion and damage from same; in cold climates, water intrusion that
then freezes will ultimately mess up any masonry because water expands as it
freezes.

I think it stopped the chipping. Except on the chimney, that I hadn't
touched.

Maybe they make a better product now??

There are other penetrating sealers, one of which (name escapes me now)
combines chemically with the ingredients in the masonry.

Very good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a oil burner, and I also burn ALOT of wood in my fireplace insert. So we clean the fireplace side annually, and the oil burner side every other year.

Yes, the chimney sweep guys say the intent of this sealer thing is supposed to keep water out to prevent spalling.

I took the photos when I was up on another part of my roof. Can't really get near the chimney due to roof slope.

Resurface Chimney Crown Red Green Home Repair 4 March 20th 09 02:28 AM
Flue extending beyond crown on a chimney Sheldon[_3_] Home Repair 9 September 14th 08 03:12 AM
Chimney Cap/Crown mortar that will not crack? RichK Home Repair 6 August 2nd 07 09:34 PM
Chimney crown repair ole Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 03:20 AM
Cracked crown on red brick chimney The Kearsley Curse Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 08:29 PM