Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (justbusted)

Old March 20th 12, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (justbusted)

Two questions I'd love advice on:
Q1: What am I doing wrong that my plumbing snake kinks all the time?
Q2: How can I repair the one I just broke in half today?

Here's a picture of some of the 75' of snake laid out on the concrete
after cleaning out the drain pipes today:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839276

Here's the kind of kink that I keep getting in the hose when I try to
rewind it back into the container:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839277

Here's where I broke the snake today trying to unkink the kink:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839281

Is there any way to repair this 75' snake or is it a goner?
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839283

In summary, I'm sure my technique is bad because I keep getting kinks in
the snake ... and ... when I unkink them ... I broke the snake.

Q1: What am I doing wrong?
Q2: How can I repair it?
Old March 20th 12, 04:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

My experience has been you can't unkink them. They are spring steel. I
just bought a replacement for mine that someone I lent it to got kinks
in.
Get your snake as close to the clean out as possible and feed it
slower. The more snake you have exposed between the clean out and the
base the more likely you are going to get kinks in it
JME

Old March 20th 12, 05:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if this really helps or not, but the best advice I can
give is...get (or rent) a better snake.

I rented one a while back. It used a heavier "snake" than what you
have and a heavy, flexible "sleeve" attached to the front of the spool
that you can run down into the pipe to prevent kinking in the most
likely place. I'm never going to waste my time with anything lighter
again...
Old March 20th 12, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:12:55 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:

get (or rent) a better snake

The one I have cost about $400 which is about all I would be willing to
pay for a snake.

Still, I guess if I have to replace the entire 75 foot length, I might as
well try to see if they sell a thicker snake.

Has anyone ever replaced just the snake part of the 75' snake motorized
drum? Any advice where to buy it?
Old March 20th 12, 07:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 10:41*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:12:55 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:
get (or rent) a better snake

The one I have cost about $400 which is about all I would be willing to
pay for a snake.

Still, I guess if I have to replace the entire 75 foot length, I might as
well try to see if they sell a thicker snake.

Has anyone ever replaced just the snake part of the 75' snake motorized
drum? Any advice where to buy it?

http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Cobra 3/8" x 75' Replacement Cable
Item #: 100817 | Model #: LX-99112

Lowes

Old March 20th 12, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough
spots, then you lock down the screw, then you put it in forward (but it
can't move), then you unlock the screw and push forward again.

In the end, it looks like you turn the motor off and manually pull it
back.

In contrast, I had not been using the set screw (because it's way too
difficult and requires a wrench at all times); I had been using forward
continuously from the start to the 75 foot mark; and I had been using the
reverse to wind it back into the drum.

I guess THAT's why my 75-foot drain cleaning cable kinked!

Old March 20th 12, 04:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

UPDATE:
Apparently BrassCraft is Cobra.

I called Cobra customer support (800-835-2200) who explained that my
snaking technique was wrong, hence the kinks & broken snake.

Apparently Cobra doesn't sell the snakes directly because their customer
support said that I could pick up the 100-foot length at Lowes hardware
stores:

Lowes P/N 100817, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable
Cobra P/N 90441, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable

Cobra confirmed the 75 foot and 100 foot lengths will fit into the BC400
drum, which is apparently called the "40 Series" on the Cobra web site.

Cobra confirmed the technique is this:
1. Feed the snake as far as it will go
2. Then lock the thumbscrew (mine must be broken as there is no plastic)
3. Then put it on forward
4. Then unlock the thumbscrew & feed again & repeat as needed
5. Use reverse only momentarily to back out of tough spots
6. When done, hand feed back into the drum

So, lesson learned!

The reason it kinked, they said, was that I was doing it all wrong.
Old March 20th 12, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

I'd get a 1/2" cable if you can, much less likely to kink than a 3/8"

Old March 20th 12, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 11:48*am, "Martin C."
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:58:57 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
http://www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1022

Thanks for that hint for replacement cables for the Cobra drain cleaning
snakes. The Cobra pictured looks very similar to my "BrassCraft Drain
Cleaning Products, BC400 Series" snake, even down to the blue/yellow
color scheme.

The video was instructive for me to see problems with my technique:
a. I had not been using the set screw (too difficult to use).
b. I had been using reverse (I had thought that's how it went back into
the drum).
c. I had been using forward (to push the cable into the pipes)

From the video, it looks like you manually PUSH the cable to the tough
spots, then you lock down the screw, then you put it in forward (but it
can't move), then you unlock the screw and push forward again.

In the end, it looks like you turn the motor off and manually pull it
back.

In contrast, I had not been using the set screw (because it's way too
difficult and requires a wrench at all times); I had been using forward
continuously from the start to the 75 foot mark; and I had been using the
reverse to wind it back into the drum.

I guess THAT's why my 75-foot drain cleaning cable kinked!

hmmm...that's interesting.

I have rented 1/2" power snakes a number of times in the past few
years and have always run the machine in the forward position while
feeding it down the pipe and then running it in reverse while pulling
it out. I thought that that was how it was done.

I've never had a problem with kinking, although the cable has gotten a
bit wild when I've mistakenly left too much cable exposed between the
machine and the drain and the cable hits an obstruction. The cutter
stops and the rotating motion is confined to the exposed cable. I
always blame myself for that since it is easily preventable simply by
leaving less cable exposed. You just need to learn to lift your foot
as soon as things start to go bad. ;-)

I've tried pushing the cable by hand but trying to move 40 - 50 (up to
75) feet of cable without having the machine running in the forward
position is pretty hard work. With the machine in forward, the cable
just slowly walks down the drain on it's own. Why wouldn't I want it
to do that?

I've also tried pulling it back out without being in reverse and
that's just as hard. While the cable still needs to be pushed back
into the machine even while in reverse, it's much easier to do than
without the motor running.

Of course, it does make a mess as it throws black gunk around as it
spins. I build a tent with large pieces of cardboard to keep the spray
contained.

The video makes it look like a lot more work that it has to be.
Old March 20th 12, 06:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:18:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

I'd get a 1/2" cable if you can, much less likely to kink than a 3/8"

Good idea. I called Cobra again (800-835-2200) to ask about the half-inch
cable.

They told me Lowes does not sell the half-inch cable but they sell the 75-
foot length for $187. They won't sell a longer length for the BC400
because the 75 foot length barely fits (most people apparently leave the
last few yards hanging out.)

Tangent: It must be like tent bags which I can never get the entire tent
back in no matter how neatly I try to pack it in.

I wonder ... since I use this BrassCraft (aka Cobra) BC400 power snake
only about once every three years ... if others can advise me with more
experience.

Do you guys generally plan on 75 feet or 100 feet of snaking when you
have a plumbing problem?

Note: 100 feet will get me halfway into the roadway, I think, from the
house anyway. I don't know where the roadway cleanout plug is (probably
buried in the lawn somewhere).