DIY Indoor Waterfall?

Old January 28th 12, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default DIY Indoor Waterfall?

Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - Bluworld of Water. Now you'll notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neil
Old January 28th 12, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll

--
radiotom

Wow - They are pricey!! I would look at some very closely to see how
they are built, what size pump they use, etc. Cellphone cameras are
very usefull for doing that. From what I have sem, the top tube has a
series of tiny holes to distribute the water evenly. But, I am not
sure if they use regular tap water or some special concoction.

Good luck and let us know what you do, it's always good to learn
something new, and maybe usefulG.
Old January 28th 12, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 3:46*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

something new, and maybe usefulG.- Hide quoted text -

Probably moderately hard to make one. Probably much harder to make
one that's stainless, copper, etc with a
nice polished, finished contemporary look like the ones in the pics
that the company is selling. You have the
appropriate tools to cut, fit, weld, finish the stainless?

Anybody in China knocking these off for $1000 yet?
Old January 28th 12, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 11:38 AM, radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neil

Consider it a novelty item. Looks good initially, but has unintended
consequences and the "new" wears off rapidly.

Do you really want/need the increased humidity. Not very useful if you
have to turn it off to keep the mold down or the windows from dripping
in winter.

Who's gonna clean it when it fogs up with bacteria?

What's it cost to replace the floor where it leaks.

Do you put something in it to keep bacteria/mold from growing?
What happens when the dog drinks it?

Is the cat gonna pee in it?

You might find that the sound makes you want to pee all the time.

I'd bet some googling would find you a screen saver that put the waterfall
on the "big screen" and made some gurgling sounds. Or a fireplace
in winter.

If I were intent on building something, I'd start with a recording of
a waterfall, some lights, a fan and some plastic wrap that fluttered
over a picture of a waterfall. You can buy such an item already made.
I see 'em all the time at garage sales after the "new" wore off.

Old January 28th 12, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 3:30 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

Assuming there are no fish a little chlorine and PR10000 would take care
of critters. I'd keep an eye on PH too.

What's it cost to replace the floor where it leaks.

That would be my concern particularly with wood or carpet.

Do you put something in it to keep bacteria/mold from growing?
What happens when the dog drinks it?

Is the cat gonna pee in it?

You might find that the sound makes you want to pee all the time.

Prostate problems?

I'd bet some googling would find you a screen saver that put the
waterfall
on the "big screen" and made some gurgling sounds. Or a fireplace
in winter.

I have an aquarium and the sound of the protein skimmer can be annoying.
I'd think this thing would be about as exciting as a aquarium. Fun for a
couple of months then: "What was I thinking?" Craigslist time.

If I were intent on building something, I'd start with a recording of
a waterfall, some lights, a fan and some plastic wrap that fluttered
over a picture of a waterfall. You can buy such an item already made.
I see 'em all the time at garage sales after the "new" wore off.

Or like mentioned above. Chinese knock offs.

You might be able to build one out of scraps. Make some plans and take
them to a metal shop.

Old January 28th 12, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 2:38 PM, radiotom wrote:
My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...?tid=sm_btn_tw

An outbreak of Legionnairesí disease in Wisconsin has been linked to a
decorative water wall in a hospital lobby, according to a study
published Tuesday that suggested the popular architectural feature can
pose dangers in a health-care setting, especially for people with
weakened immune systems.
Old January 28th 12, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw
it in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok.
My wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think it would be all that hard. IF you are able to do metal work,
that is; if not, I don't think it would be terribly expensive to have the
metal work done by a shop.

Basically, you would need...

1. A watertight pan to hold the water

2. A non-rusting frame attached to the pan to hold the panel

3. A submersible pump

4. Probably a filter.

The hard part is figuring out what you want. Vertical panel or inclined?
Glass? Metal? Smooth or maybe with angled troughs so the water will run
down to the next below it.

You need a pan big enough for stability (especially if you have a cat

You need a way to get the panel out of the frame without wrecking everything

You need room in the frame for tubing. Small, flexible plastic tubing such
as that used for aquarium accessories might be good.

A way to drain it could be useful

Gotta be able to clean it.

Might need to add some chlorine to the water.
_________________

The above aren't necessarily suggestions, just sort of thinking out load.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old January 29th 12, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

radiotom wrote:

Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think mike made a pretty good list of what could go wrong. In
spite of that-- I still think water is cool. I built an outdoor
'pond' with a little waterfall a few years ago & it is well the
little amount of effort to keep it going.

For indoors, though, I'll bet you could get a lot of advice on an
aquarium group/forum.

Jim
Old January 29th 12, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 1:38 PM, radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neil

Electrician buddy of mine spent countless hours creating a water feature
on the patio with 1/2'ed whiskey barrels, stone work, exotic plantings,
etc. That was several years back and he just hasn't had the heart to
tear it back out, though it hasn't run since about two weeks after he
completed it. The constant sound of the pumps and the splashing water
drove them nuts, so they turned it all off.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Old January 29th 12, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

radiotom wrote:

Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated.

Commercial ones are extremely expensive. I wanted a wall fountain (not free
standing) for a new house a few years ago. Something about 30x72 would run $2000
or more. Ended up building one myself that turned out quite well, but it wasn't
easy the first time. Now that I've made all the mistakes, it would be much
easier to do another one!

http://www.mewsgirl.com/fountain.jpg