Posted to alt.home.repair

Default White, no black, is the new stainless

"Is this the end of a 25-year run for stainless steel? Major manufacturers
are placing bets on different potential successors to the shiny, upscale
appliance finish, whose resilience surprised many."

Maybe avocado? Rocky Road? Meat?

http://realestate.msn.com/what-comes-after-stainless

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:33:32 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"Is this the end of a 25-year run for stainless steel? Major manufacturers
are placing bets on different potential successors to the shiny, upscale
appliance finish, whose resilience surprised many."

Maybe avocado? Rocky Road? Meat?

http://realestate.msn.com/what-comes-after-stainless

Stainless will be around a while because it holds up well. Paint chips
and fades. Stainless is still stainless. Unless someone is going to
replace everything in the kitchen, they will want to match what they
have.

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is supposed to
be black, white or stainless?

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they looked sharp.
Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the above, but what the heck

smart appliance makers would just sell appliques to change the appearance of any
appliance
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Useta be that at least dishwashers you could replace the panel in the
front, the maker would give you a couple choices but there was nothing
stopping you from buying a sheet of stainless steel and painting it any
color you wanted. Or insert a sheet of wood veneer to match your
cabinets (haven't seen that done in years though.)

That replaceable front actually seems to be LESS common today...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:42:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

wrote:

"Is this the end of a 25-year run for stainless steel? Major manufacturers
are placing bets on different potential successors to the shiny, upscale
appliance finish, whose resilience surprised many."

Maybe avocado? Rocky Road? Meat?

http://realestate.msn.com/what-comes-after-stainless

Stainless will be around a while because it holds up well. Paint chips
and fades. Stainless is still stainless. Unless someone is going to
replace everything in the kitchen, they will want to match what they
have.

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is supposed to
be black, white or stainless?

Any wall covering goes with black, white, or stainless appliances. If you
bought a cerise refrigerator it would clash with next year's green paint.

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they looked sharp.
Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the above, but what the heck

If you want to replace them every time you paint, go ahead.

smart appliance makers would just sell appliques to change the appearance of any
appliance

They do. They make appliance with tracks to add panels to match cabinets.
Most don't buy them, so...

Senior Member

Appliance manufacturers are only going to increase the selection of colours or finishes they make their appliances in with reluctance. That's because the more colours you make your appliances in, the more parts you have to keep in stock in your warehouse. And, the more you have to charge for your appliances to cover that increased cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
"Is this the end of a 25-year run for stainless steel? Major
manufacturers are placing bets on different potential successors to
the shiny, upscale appliance finish, whose resilience surprised many."

Maybe avocado? Rocky Road? Meat?

Oooo...can we have burnt orange?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:30:51 +0000, nestork
wrote:

Appliance manufacturers are only going to increase the selection of
colours or finishes they make their appliances in with reluctance.
That's because the more colours you make your appliances in, the more
parts you have to keep in stock in your warehouse. And, the more you
have to charge for your appliances to cover that increased cost.

Right. They usually offer some models with replaceable cover panels so you
can do what you want with them. I think everyone has seen enough harvest gold
and avocado appliances (we had one of each in our first house).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Replaceable fronts add about thirty-eight cents to the manufacturing costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Is this the end of a 25-year run for stainless steel? Major
manufacturers are placing bets on different potential successors to
the shiny, upscale appliance finish, whose resilience surprised
many." Maybe avocado? Rocky Road? Meat?

Oooo...can we have burnt orange?

Thinking on it, I don't see why not. Rustoleum comes in a wide variety of
colors...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nestork wrote:

Appliance manufacturers are only going to increase the selection of
colours or finishes they make their appliances in with reluctance.
That's because the more colours you make your appliances in, the more
parts you have to keep in stock in your warehouse. And, the more you
have to charge for your appliances to cover that increased cost.

strange. I can buy a new color and order it in just about any color and neither
the factory or a repair shop complain about stocking charges
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is supposed to
be black, white or stainless?

Yep. All black works. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...=realestate#10

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they looked sharp.
Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the above, but what the heck

Not only will they not be timeless, they require you to buy all from the
same manufacturer if you want them to match. As the color choices will
change with the years, if you need to replace one, and you want to keep
them matching, you will have to replace all three.

Only black, white and stainless allow you to mix manufacturers and have no
problem replacing one later.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds View Post
strange. I can buy a new color and order it in just about any color and neither the factory or a repair shop complain about stocking charges
I'm sorry, Mal. I don't understand your question.

What mass produced item can you buy in any colour you like without a surcharge being added for the custom colour?

Last edited by nestork : October 20th 12 at 02:45 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is supposed
be black, white or stainless?

Yep. All black works. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...OTMNYC.html?re
f=realestate#10

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they looked sharp.
Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the above, but what the
heck

Not only will they not be timeless, they require you to buy all from the
same manufacturer if you want them to match. As the color choices will
change with the years, if you need to replace one, and you want to keep
them matching, you will have to replace all three.

Only black, white and stainless allow you to mix manufacturers and have no
problem replacing one later.

so you are saying that all black appliances are the same black and all white
appliances are all the same white no matter who makes them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

In article Don Wiss wrote:
Only black, white and stainless allow you to mix manufacturers and have no
problem replacing one later.

so you are saying that all black appliances are the same black and all white
appliances are all the same white no matter who makes them?

Well, the chance of them matching close enough is far greater than trying
to match any other color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is
supposed to be black, white or stainless?

Yep. All black works. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...=realestate#10

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they
looked sharp. Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the
above, but what the heck

Not only will they not be timeless, they require you to buy all from
the same manufacturer if you want them to match. As the color choices
will change with the years, if you need to replace one, and you want
to keep them matching, you will have to replace all three.

Don't think so. You can have the appliances re-painted at an auto paint
shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is
supposed to be black, white or stainless?

Yep. All black works. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...1-OTMNYC.html?
ref=realestate#10

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they
looked sharp. Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the
above, but what the heck

Not only will they not be timeless, they require you to buy all from
the same manufacturer if you want them to match. As the color choices
will change with the years, if you need to replace one, and you want
to keep them matching, you will have to replace all three.

Don't think so. You can have the appliances re-painted at an auto paint
shop.

or in home refinishing ala bathtubs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

In article Don Wiss wrote:
Only black, white and stainless allow you to mix manufacturers and have no
problem replacing one later.

so you are saying that all black appliances are the same black and all white
appliances are all the same white no matter who makes them?

Well, the chance of them matching close enough is far greater than trying
to match any other color.

why? I can go to most any paint store and have them color match
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds View Post
why? I can go to most any paint store and have them color match
Not taking sides in this discussion, but there's talk of painting appliances with house paints and automotive paints, and I just thought I should explain to any newbie homeowners in Banterland that this isn't really feasible.

Yes, you can paint all sides of a fridge and probably both sides of a stove, but a house paint or an automotive paint won't stand up on the cooktop of a stove. (I'm talking about between and around the surface elements on the stove, not the stove console where the knobs are.) House paints and automotive paints just won't stand up to that kind of heat without discolouring and getting soft so that sliding a hot pot across the cook top will make a mess of the soft discoloured paint.

You don't need to know the rest:

Stove cook tops are "powder coated", not painted.

Powder coatings are a very common kind of coating that the Australians pioneered. In powder coating, a mixture of plastic resins and coloured pigments are electrostatically sprayed onto a metal object. The electric charge on the metal object attracts the charged resin and pigment particles so that you get a uniform thickness of powder all over the metal. That metal object is then baked in an oven so that the plastic particles melt and fuse together into a continuous film with the coloured pigments suspended inside that film, thereby creating a smooth coloured coating over the metal object. When that film cools down, it's typically about three times as hard and very much more heat, moisture and chemically resistant than any field applied coating, like epoxy paints.

Generally, the harder the plastic resins that are used, the higher the baking temperature has to be to melt them and the harder the resulting coating when it cools. Powder coatings baked at over about 700 deg. F are commonly called "porcelain enamels" instead of powder coatings just to denote their greater hardness and durability. But, the process of electrostatically spraying and then baking is exactly the same regardless of what you call it. You have lots of powder coatings in your house; an enameled steel bathtub is powder coated; same with the "glass lining" on the inside of your water heater's tank. And, if you have a "painted" metal bar-b-que in your back yard, that "paint" will be a powder coating too. The hardest powder coating in your house is likely to be the bluish gray coating on the inside of your stove's oven. It was baked on at about 1300 deg. F.

No paint is going to be as hard and heat resistant as the powder coating that's on your stove's cooktop. So, how can you paint your other appliances any colour OTHER than the colour of your stove's cook top and still have them match?

The only semi-feasible way to paint your appliance a new colour would be to have your stove's cooktop sand blasted to remove the existing powder coating and then have it powder coated a different colour. Then, take that new cooktop to the paint store and have them mix up a paint to match that colour.

My understanding is that the front panels of oven doors are also powder coated because the same panels are used on both regular and self cleaning ranges. I have a stove where the painted panels are discoloured yellow because of cigarette smoke, but the powder coated surfaces remain white. And, the oven door on that stove is still white, so it's gotta be powder coated. I don't know if the side panels of self cleaning ranges are painted or powder coated. The side panels on that stained stove are discoloured yellow, which to me means their painted.

http://www.porcelainenamel.com

Last edited by nestork : October 21st 12 at 06:32 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

people paint their walls all sorts of colors and yet the kitchen is
supposed to be black, white or stainless?

Yep. All black works. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...=realestate#10

I've seen kitchen appliances in bright primary colors and they
looked sharp. Granted I don't think they will be as timeless as the
above, but what the heck

Not only will they not be timeless, they require you to buy all from
the same manufacturer if you want them to match. As the color choices
will change with the years, if you need to replace one, and you want
to keep them matching, you will have to replace all three.

Don't think so. You can have the appliances re-painted at an auto paint
shop.

Not durable. You need baked enamel.
probaly cost $300 minimum to paint at auto shop.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

In article Don Wiss wrote:
Only black, white and stainless allow you to mix manufacturers and have no
problem replacing one later.

so you are saying that all black appliances are the same black and all white
appliances are all the same white no matter who makes them?

Well, the chance of them matching close enough is far greater than trying
to match any other color.

why? I can go to most any paint store and have them color match

You are going to paint your appliances!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:53:08 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Utter nonsense. We'd have nothing but stainless (and granite, for
that matter) in the kitchen. Painted appliances suck.

I wonder.

I bet you could take your stove or dishwasher or refrigerator door to an
auto painting shop and have a very durable finish put on.

Your car doesn't scratch? I doubt I'd like the fumes from the oven. ;-)

Some shops can even do pin-striping! (Probably costs extra, though.)

That's it! Zebra striped appliances. "I couldn't decide on black or
white..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 19:05:33 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

I bet you could take your stove or dishwasher or refrigerator door
to an auto painting shop and have a very durable finish put on.

Your car doesn't scratch? I doubt I'd like the fumes from the oven.
;-)

Well, yeah, but I'd bet the finish on a car is more durable than the finish
on a range.

*Very* doubtful, particularly the paint applied in a repair shop.

A car has a LOT more environmental attacks than a dishwasher.

It's clear that you've never had kids. ;-)