DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Oil tank - how low to go (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/334409-oil-tank-how-low-go.html)

---MIKE--- January 15th 12 09:34 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

RBM[_3_] January 15th 12 10:00 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Frank[_13_] January 15th 12 10:29 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:
On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Never heard of adding anything to mine either.

[email protected][_2_] January 15th 12 10:42 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 4:29*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Never heard of adding anything to mine either.- Hide quoted text -

He's probably adding it to try to get rid of any water from
condensation and avoid it freezing. How much condenstation he may
get depends on where the tank is.
Outside with wide temp swings, it's a problem. In a
basement, no so much a problem. Letting the tank
go down to 40 gallons is probably OK especially if it
feeds directly off the botton of the tank. Would seem
whatever is on the bottom of the tank is getting sucked
in all the time anyway. He has a filter, right?

RBM[_3_] January 15th 12 11:02 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/15/2012 4:42 PM, wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:29 pm, wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

That's my question. Typically the pipe goes into the top of the tank and
is kept a few inches above the bottom , so the water and sludge won't
get sucked in. If he's got a tap in the bottom of the tank, there
wouldn't be any build up, because it would be the first thing to get
sucked out.

Ed Pawlowski January 15th 12 11:02 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:34:21 -0500,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

I've gone lower and even ran out once on automatic delivery. Never
had a problem with sediment. Never used conditioner either but would
if it was outside.

---MIKE--- January 15th 12 11:07 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

Steve Barker[_6_] January 15th 12 11:53 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/15/2012 2:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

sure, why not?

--
Steve Barker

Steve Barker[_6_] January 15th 12 11:55 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

well....

1. diesel conditioners don't absorb water
2. where is this "sludge" coming from? If the oil man is not bringing
it, then where would it come from?

--
Steve Barker

[email protected] January 15th 12 11:58 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:42:36 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 15, 4:29Â*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

Pour Point depressant in an outdoor tank can eliminate a lot of
problems. Just like in a deisel. Keep the wax crystals from forming in
the fuel.

[email protected] January 15th 12 11:59 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:02:17 -0500, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 4:42 PM, wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:29 pm, wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

GENERALLY the outlet is an inch or two off the bottom of the tank at
one end - which is USUALLY about 1/2 inch or so lower than the other.

Jim Elbrecht January 16th 12 12:03 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:29:58 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:
On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Never heard of adding anything to mine either.

If you live where it goes below 0F, and your tank is outside, then it
is cheap insurance to add conditioner.

It probably saves a little abuse on the nozzle, too-- though I've
never had any trouble with mine. I change filters and nozzles every
2yrs [about 800 gallons of oil]. My supplier dumps a pint of
something in for every 100 gallons delivered.

to the OP-- In April 5 gallons will probably last you a week-- so you
can truck it in by hand if you have to. Keep a close eye on it-
running dry isn't good for your system.

Any sludge in the tank is at the bottom. It will get picked up
whether the tank is nearly empty or full.

Jim

Frank[_13_] January 16th 12 12:14 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

wrote:

On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:
On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

My tank is inside and we get system serviced annually.
I don't think they add anything to the tank but they do change the
inline filter and probably the nozzle.

Brian V January 16th 12 02:07 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

And when we hit a cold snap (like it is right now) that lasts for an
extended period which results in you using more fuel than you "estimated"
and you run out, what then? Are you then going to hack your way thru the now
frozen ice and snow to make that path then? Now lets take that one step more
and say that you run out during a big storm and the delivery guys can't get
out to do an emergency delivery for several days... you now have potentially
frozen pipes that you may not even find/see for several days which causes
who knows what for damage...

You know what the right answer is.....

-Brian

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 16th 12 02:52 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

Hauling 5 gallon cans of kerosene from the gas station is a PIA.

Better to have a delivery before you run out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Brian V January 16th 12 03:40 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

.. .

.

"Brian V" wrote in message

And when we hit a cold snap (like it is right now) that lasts for an
extended period which results in you using more fuel than you "estimated"
and you run out, what then? Are you then going to hack your way thru the
now
frozen ice and snow to make that path then? Now lets take that one step
more
and say that you run out during a big storm and the delivery guys can't
get
out to do an emergency delivery for several days... you now have
potentially
frozen pipes that you may not even find/see for several days which causes
who knows what for damage...

You know what the right answer is.....

-Brian

But... The OP cannot even do that as to go out and get kerosene or diesel he
would have to use the same roads that the delivery guys would use. They are
buried under several feet of snow and are impassable....

Shovel the path and keep the tank full.... That is the ONLY answer....

Ed Pawlowski January 16th 12 04:26 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:07:14 -0500,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Gold Eagle brands, makers of Stabil, also makes HEET for fuel oil.

Another is Aronol and probably another dozen brands.
http://www.aronol.com/arotec_prods.html

gregz January 16th 12 04:41 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

I didn't have oil long enough to worry, but I try to add a capful of
alcohol to my 5 gallon can of kerosene. Jet fuel probably has additives.

Greg

harry January 16th 12 10:21 AM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 8:34*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. *Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. *I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. *I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. *Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

It's normal for fuel tanks to be installed to a slight incline.
Fuel is drawn from the tank bottom at the upper end. There is a drain
for water/condensate at the lower end.

The reason for additives is to prevent the fuel from waxing at low
temperatures. Wax crystals form and block filters and nozzles.
Winter grade fuel is normallly supplied with this already added.

A cheap additive is paraffin/kerosine. Can be added up tp 25%
depending on anticipated temperature.
The problem is that is has to be thoroughly mixed in and done before
waxing ocurrs.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...l_problems.pdf

micky January 16th 12 01:12 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

(---MIKE---) wrote:

My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

My oil tank is in the basement, and might be about your size. I use
number 2 oil, and always from pretty big suppliers, if that matters.
At any rate, for a variety of reasons, I've run out of oil at least 3
times, maybe 4, and after it was refilled, I did have to prime the
pump, but after I did that, there was no indication that the fuel
nozzle clogged any sooner than normal. That is, they always last a
year or more.

IOW, it's safe to run your furnace until the tank is empty. The worst
that could happen is that you would have to replace the nozzle early,
but that hasn't happened to me.

I used to pay annually for a furnace cleaning, but their cleaning was
short and their adjustment process got shorter and shorter.
Eventually they adjusted nothing, no gauges, and only looked at the
flame to see that it was the same color it had been. More than one
company was like this. I got disgusted. maybe I should have
complained, but instead I started to do it myself. . It was hard to
find an oil company with a parts counter, but I found one on my side
of town, and I bought nozzles 3 or 4 at a time so I wouldn't annoy
them too much. There's a special tool for chaning the nozzle, but 2
adjustable wrenches will do it also. I just realized last year that 6
inch wrenches work the best in the case of my furnace, which is
typical.

Also, don't forget to clean your chimney every 5 or 10 years,
depending on how dirty it gets. The oil company "technicians" never
reminded me to do that., and after 31 years, it caused problems.
Even the chimney sweep whom I hired for the fireplace chimney didn't
remind me abou tthe furnace chimney, and he was right up there on the
roof and could have doubled his money for very little extra time
spent. Go figure.

I bought online for a few bucks insturctions on replacing the nozzle,
alligning the electrodes (although that was in the instructions that
came with the furnace, iirc.) but it all comes down to two or three
distances. BTW, the place I bought the second one from was obnoxious
and didn't send the url until I complained to ebay, maybe 3 weeks
after I bought it. Then they wanted me to noitify them "immediately"
when it arrived. Heck they shoudl have sent it immediately like they
promised. I would send it to you for free, but it's in the broken
computer.

I did have to watch the serviceman prime the pump the first time, and
I watched him. It's been a long time now but it must be that I loosen
or remove the S-curved 6 or 8" tube between the pump (which is parrt
of the oil burner, the part where the oil line comes in) and the
blower housing, the line inside that housing that goes to the nozzle.

Then I run the furnace for 3 or 4 seconds or until oil comes out of
the tube. I saw no evidence of sludge or that the first oil out was
not clean. Of course I stopped the furnace after and soon wiped it off
my hands and the furnace, usually only one or two teaspoons' worth
somehow. Then I reconnect or retighten the tube and that's all it
takes. I guess it takes a lot of pressure to force the oil through
the nozzle, because it has to go through the metal particle filter,
and even the hole is too small to see into**, and the pump can't suck
the oil well enough when the output is only through the nozzle.

**I"ve tried blowing through a new nozzle and I can't get anything
through with my lungs alone.

My oil tank is on 3 or 4" legs and on the floor, the same floor the
upflow furnace is on. So when the tank is almost empty, the oil
level is below the oil burner.

BTW, t hey installed my furnace without an external oil filter, and I
personally don't see how the simple alleged oil filter (I think it's
callled a filter) at the entrance to the furnace burner actually
filters anything But again, no nozzle has clogged in less than a
year. Usualy they are replaced every year, so I'm not sure how long
they would last, except one lasted 2 years and clogged soon after.

micky January 16th 12 01:21 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:07:16 -0500, "Brian V"
wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

And when we hit a cold snap (like it is right now) that lasts for an
extended period which results in you using more fuel than you "estimated"
and you run out, what then?

Boil water.

Are you then going to hack your way thru the now
frozen ice and snow to make that path then? Now lets take that one step more
and say that you run out during a big storm and the delivery guys can't get
out to do an emergency delivery for several days... you now have potentially
frozen pipes

If the house is getting cold, open the faucets a trifle and let the
water drip. Hot water too. But it takes several days for a house
to go from 68 to 32.

For the hot water I would run the shower into a stoppered bathtub,
remembering to turn it off before it overflows. Let the steam escape
to fill the house, and don't drain the water until it's room
temperature. You can take a shower or bath in the process, but the
dirt you wash off will settle before you drain the tub. Only takes a
couple minutes to clean, though.

Or boil a gallon or two of water on the stove. It takes about an hour
a quart iiirc. No, it's never caused water to drip off the walls in
my house.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 16th 12 02:15 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

During "a big storm", you're right that the OP might not be able to get to
the store, to fill his 5 gal jugs with kero or diesel. All the more reason
to have the tank filled, and soon.

Ideally, you'd save a bit of money to have the tank filled in the summer.
But, what's the few bucks when it's cold, and you need heat?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[email protected][_2_] January 16th 12 02:15 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 5:55*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. *This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

well....

1. diesel conditioners don't absorb water
2. where is this "sludge" coming from? *If the oil man is not bringing
it, then where would it come from?

Oil tanks slowly accumulate sludge on their own. Algae
growth for example is a well known problem with fuel oil
and diesel. Tanks that sit above ground are more prone
to problems because with wide temp swings you get
condensation and a more hostile environment. Water
brings algae, rust, etc. Over many years you wind up
with sludge in the bottom. Folks who remove tanks
deal with it regularly.

--
Steve Barker

---MIKE--- January 16th 12 03:27 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

Just to complete the information: The tank is in the basement. The
furnace is serviced yearly (in September) and the filter and nozzle are
replaced. I have a time meter on the furnace and I know that it uses .9
gallons per hour so I have a good sense of oil usage. The conditioner
is cheap insurance.

Steve Barker[_6_] January 16th 12 11:34 PM

Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/16/2012 7:15 AM, wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:55 pm, Steve wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

[...]

how odd. never happened to ours in almost 50 years of use.

--
Steve Barker