Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulk for glass and ceramic tile?

I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote in
:

I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.

Does it get very warm where the caulk is? If so, MAY BE the cause. Find a
high heat caulk. Google "high heat caulk" should get you some leads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 4:25 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.

rubbing alcohol sometimes has traces of oils in them. try using acetone
instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:

On 1/11/2012 4:25 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.

rubbing alcohol sometimes has traces of oils in them. try using acetone
instead.

I have some 70 percent and some 99 percent rubbing alcohol. Is the
99 percent less likely to have oil in it? Is there any way I can
test my rubbing alcohol to see if it has oil in it?

Am I correct in assuming that nail polish remover would not be good
for this use?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 3:20 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
wrote:

On 1/11/2012 4:25 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.

rubbing alcohol sometimes has traces of oils in them. try using acetone
instead.

I have some 70 percent and some 99 percent rubbing alcohol. Is the
99 percent less likely to have oil in it? Is there any way I can
test my rubbing alcohol to see if it has oil in it?

Am I correct in assuming that nail polish remover would not be good
for this use?

Good grief! Oil in rubbing alcohol? Can't be enough to matter. I keep
denatured alcohol on hand for solvent/degreasing. Nail polish remover
normally does have some oil to counteract the drying effect on nails;
it's not a great solvent to use on paintable surfaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

it's not a great solvent to use on paintable surfaces.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I can't imagine how oil would be in rubbing alcohol either.
Is it in my Wild Turkey too? As to why the caulk is coming out,
that doesn't make sense to me either. Silicone caulk is normally
very durable and resistant to a reasonable amount of heat. The
edges of my cooktop don't get hot enough where I would think
heat is the culprit. I would suspect that the surfaces may not
be clean when it's applied. Grease from cooking perhaps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yes.

from wikipedia:

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol USP/B.P. contains 68–99% of isopropanol
(isopropyl alcohol) by volume, the remainder consisting of water, with
or without color additives, suitable stabilizers, and perfume oils.

99% doesn't usually have the additives that the 70% does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When you rug the skin, the oil helps it from drying out. Most alcohols do
not contain oil but attract moisture, ok with silicone type 1 .

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
chaniarts wrote:

On 1/11/2012 4:25 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have
caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes
loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing
alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk
that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all
replies.

rubbing alcohol sometimes has traces of oils in them. try using acetone
instead.

I have some 70 percent and some 99 percent rubbing alcohol. Is the
99 percent less likely to have oil in it? Is there any way I can
test my rubbing alcohol to see if it has oil in it?

Am I correct in assuming that nail polish remover would not be good
for this use?

Leave the alcohol dry and see what's left.
A good degreaser, Greased Lightning....

Greg