Oil tank - how low to go

Old January 16th 12, 12:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:07:16 -0500, "Brian V"
wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

And when we hit a cold snap (like it is right now) that lasts for an
extended period which results in you using more fuel than you "estimated"
and you run out, what then?

Boil water.

Are you then going to hack your way thru the now
frozen ice and snow to make that path then? Now lets take that one step more
and say that you run out during a big storm and the delivery guys can't get
out to do an emergency delivery for several days... you now have potentially
frozen pipes

If the house is getting cold, open the faucets a trifle and let the
water drip. Hot water too. But it takes several days for a house
to go from 68 to 32.

For the hot water I would run the shower into a stoppered bathtub,
remembering to turn it off before it overflows. Let the steam escape
to fill the house, and don't drain the water until it's room
temperature. You can take a shower or bath in the process, but the
dirt you wash off will settle before you drain the tub. Only takes a
couple minutes to clean, though.

Or boil a gallon or two of water on the stove. It takes about an hour
a quart iiirc. No, it's never caused water to drip off the walls in
my house.

that you may not even find/see for several days which causes
who knows what for damage...

You know what the right answer is.....

-Brian

Old January 16th 12, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

During "a big storm", you're right that the OP might not be able to get to
the store, to fill his 5 gal jugs with kero or diesel. All the more reason
to have the tank filled, and soon.

Ideally, you'd save a bit of money to have the tank filled in the summer.
But, what's the few bucks when it's cold, and you need heat?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Brian V" wrote in message

But... The OP cannot even do that as to go out and get kerosene or diesel he
would have to use the same roads that the delivery guys would use. They are
buried under several feet of snow and are impassable....

Shovel the path and keep the tank full.... That is the ONLY answer....

Old January 16th 12, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 5:55*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. *This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

well....

1. diesel conditioners don't absorb water
2. where is this "sludge" coming from? *If the oil man is not bringing
it, then where would it come from?

Oil tanks slowly accumulate sludge on their own. Algae
growth for example is a well known problem with fuel oil
and diesel. Tanks that sit above ground are more prone
to problems because with wide temp swings you get
condensation and a more hostile environment. Water
brings algae, rust, etc. Over many years you wind up
with sludge in the bottom. Folks who remove tanks
deal with it regularly.

--
Steve Barker

Old January 16th 12, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Just to complete the information: The tank is in the basement. The
furnace is serviced yearly (in September) and the filter and nozzle are
replaced. I have a time meter on the furnace and I know that it uses .9
gallons per hour so I have a good sense of oil usage. The conditioner
is cheap insurance.