Posted to alt.home.repair

Default diesel fuel

Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2015 5:08 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

While I personally don't have first hand experience with diesel fuel,
I've heard stories and believe that you should have some concerns
regarding storage and handling.

Just do a simple Google search using these words "diesel fuel stability
growth" WITHOUT the quotes and start reading.

Seems that there is a fungus or microbial growth that can take place in
the stored fuel which can play havoc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 8:25:28 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 6/13/2015 5:08 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

While I personally don't have first hand experience with diesel fuel,
I've heard stories and believe that you should have some concerns
regarding storage and handling.

Just do a simple Google search using these words "diesel fuel stability
growth" WITHOUT the quotes and start reading.

Seems that there is a fungus or microbial growth that can take place in
the stored fuel which can play havoc.

+1

I had it happen to an old MB diesel that I was rarely driving.
Fuel tank got clogged up with some kind of biological crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2015 6:08 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

Not as much as gas, but over time, yes. There are additives for diesel,
especially if it is stored in the cold and you expect to use it when cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/13/2015 6:08 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for
my gasoline regarding stability?

Not as much as gas, but over time, yes. There are additives for diesel,
especially if it is stored in the cold and you expect to use it when cold.

I have not experienced the biological issue that I have heard of, but once
when using some very old diesel, it ran fine but clouds of white smoke
poured out of the tailpipe. Not just when cold, but for the entire tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:28:31 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/13/2015 6:08 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for
my gasoline regarding stability?

Not as much as gas, but over time, yes. There are additives for diesel,
especially if it is stored in the cold and you expect to use it when cold.

I have not experienced the biological issue that I have heard of, but once
when using some very old diesel, it ran fine but clouds of white smoke
poured out of the tailpipe. Not just when cold, but for the entire tank.

Pour point depressants for cold use to keep it flowing and stop
crystalizing, as well as algecide to keep the biologicals at bay, and
you can store deisel for decades. Just make sure it is kept in a
sealed drum. Low vapour pressure makes that work a lot better than
with gasoline, where the drums tend to pressurize and swell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:15:59 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

+1

I had it happen to an old MB diesel that I was rarely driving.
Fuel tank got clogged up with some kind of biological crap.

The effect you mention is caused by partially full tanks which can
"breathe" through a vent. Repeated temperature cycling caused by daily
weather, causes air to be drawn into the tank and any moisture condenses.
This moisture is heavier than diesel and sinks into the fuel. Over time,
algae grows in the water mixture and can clog the fuel filters when the
engine is run. Fuel stabilizers help limit this and borax additives can
suppress the algal growth. Limited water in fuel will cause the white
smoke seen when running the engine.

There's a second effect if low temperatures are encountered and that is
the diesel separates into a waxy liquid which will clog filters. Pour
point suppressants reduce this (kerosene and gasolene are effective too).

Good luck.

Thane
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 5:08:39 AM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

Drop by a truck stop and see what's on the shelf for treating diesel fuel. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fuel Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 6:08:39 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

Thanks for the advise. I assume that I am not wasting my money on using additive called PR-D which is specifically for diesel fuel. Been told that many watermen of the Chesapeake Bay area use it for the engines in their boats.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/14/2015 2:21 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 6:08:39 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

Thanks for the advise. I assume that I am not wasting my money on using additive called PR-D which is specifically for diesel fuel. Been told that many watermen of the Chesapeake Bay area use it for the engines in their boats.

The diesel fuel manufacturer is already adding the necessary additives.

If you are doing long-term storage of diesel fuel then PR-D is fine. No
need to use it in a vehicle's fuel tank where the fuel is used on a
regular basis. In fact their are warnings against excessive quantities
of additives.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/14/2015 9:25 AM, sms wrote:
On 6/14/2015 2:21 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 6:08:39 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have
for my gasoline regarding stability?

Thanks for the advise. I assume that I am not wasting my money on
using additive called PR-D which is specifically for diesel fuel. Been
told that many watermen of the Chesapeake Bay area use it for the
engines in their boats.

The diesel fuel manufacturer is already adding the necessary additives.

+1,001! (Just like they do in gasoline as an aside...)

If you are doing long-term storage of diesel fuel then PR-D is fine. No
need to use it in a vehicle's fuel tank where the fuel is used on a
regular basis. In fact their are warnings against excessive quantities
of additives.

Indeed. OP gives no klews regarding the application of the fuel nor any
reason why he should have any concern. Only in special circumstances or
for long term storage should there be any need whatever for additional
additives.

I'd consider commercial marine use a "special application" the
comment concerning boats as I would the area somebody mentioned of
"summer" fuel held until cold weather or the like (altho it has to get
_really_, _really_ cold for it to be an issue unless its the biodiesel
which is less forgiving in that regard).

If we're talking a light-duty pick-em-up or the like, it's just no big
deal unless again it sits for months unused...

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/14/2015 7:37 AM, dpb wrote:

snip

If we're talking a light-duty pick-em-up or the like, it's just no big
deal unless again it sits for months unused...

A lot of these additives are to make the buyer feel good, but they do
nothing for the engine they are added to. Like recreational oil changing
far more frequently than necessary.

In California, there are very high minimum standards for detergent
gasoline additives. Gasoline from Costco or other independent stations
meets the "Top Tier" standard. There is no advantage to buying gasoline
from Chevron despite their heavy marketing of "Techron" and their ads
imploring consumers not to buy gasoline at warehouse stores.

In some states there are no minimum standards for gasoline additives
separate from EPA's rather low standards and in those cases "Top Tier"
gasoline might not be available at the no-name stations. See
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default diesel fuel issues

Frank Thompson posted for all of us...

Should I have the same concern for fuel for my diesel fuel as I have for my gasoline regarding stability?

How about checking your mental stability? Got issues?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 24th 19 01:46 AM
diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? lp13-30 Home Repair 20 December 23rd 17 05:52 AM
Kerosene, Fuel Oil and Diesel Pavel314[_2_] Home Repair 13 January 4th 17 12:47 PM
Diesel Fuel nick hull Metalworking 6 August 24th 08 08:35 AM
Diesel Fuel Gerald Miller Metalworking 1 August 22nd 08 01:04 PM