Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting off the top edge of a car battery?

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 9:24*pm, micky wrote:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? * Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? *Some sort of hot wire device? *??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, *sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

You want to cut the top off aof a brand new battery that you are going
to buy???? That just might void the warranty, to say nothing about
the chances of shorting something out and blowing up the whole battery
and maybe severely disfiguring your face and body due toi the flying
acid from the explosion. BAD IDEA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:24:22 -0500, micky
wrote:

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Is the fuse box cover your only concern? The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. I'd not worry about it at
all.

If you are cutting a protruding lip, not a big deal, but if you are
cutting the actual case, I'd not touch it. Not worth the risk.

As you noted, battery case sizes are standard and every manufacturer
uses the same one. They should standardize more parts, filters,,
alternators, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

I would use side-cutters or tin snips.

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

If you break the seal and let the gel out, you're screwed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Here ya go, say good-bye to the warranty on the battery though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ter-47077.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2012 3:03 AM, Mr. Austerity wrote:
micky wrote:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Here ya go, say good-bye to the warranty on the battery though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ter-47077.html

This one would probably work better:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-doubl...8316-8065.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to a REAL parts store and buy the correct battery!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad idea. Car batteries contain sulphuric acid, which is highly corrosive.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"micky" wrote in message
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? * Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? *Some sort of hot wire device? *??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, *sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Is the fuse box cover your only concern? *The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. *I'd not worry about it at
all.

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse
box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it
either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years
here too. I however checked them a little more often than that
when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the
fuse.

If you are cutting a protruding lip, not a big deal, but if you are
cutting the actual case, I'd not touch it. *Not worth the risk.

Agree. If it's a clear extension piece to the case and he just
wants to take that off I'd probably use a hacksaw. Can't say
for sure without seeing it though.

As you noted, battery case sizes are standard and every manufacturer
uses the same one. *They should standardize more parts, filters,,
alternators, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Dec 31 2011, 11:40*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-snip-
Is the fuse box cover your only concern? *The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. *I'd not worry about it at
all.

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse
box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it
either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years
here too. I however checked them a little more often than that
when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the
fuse.

You guys just driving 2-3 yr old cars? My Impala is 'only' 10 yrs
old and I've had the covers off those panels [inside each of the front
doors- so handy] a dozen times at least-- Not even counting the time,
last year, that I fried the wires with one of those cigg. lighter
compressors.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

And thanks for the reminder--- the rear window defroster needs
something- I'll start with a look in the fuze box.

Jim
[and I'll jump on with everybody else-- Buy the right battery.
Interstate are my choice these days
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c.../CarsAndTrucks ]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 9:46*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

No, one of my cars is a 32 year old Mercedes and I can recall
one fuse blowing. I've had a variety of cars over the years and
yes some of them I only kept for 3 years. I had corporate
lease cars for 15 years and went through a bunch of Pontiacs.
Never blew a fuse in any of them. I've had others
including a 10 year old Porsche that hasn't blown a single
fuse.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

And thanks for the reminder--- the rear window defroster needs
something- I'll start with a look in the fuze box.

Jim
[and I'll jump on with everybody else-- Buy the right battery.
Interstate are my choice these dayshttp://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/CarsAndTrucks]

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Batteries make hydrogen. Cutting with anything that might create a spark
makes batteries go BOOM.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:46:37 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Is the fuse box cover your only concern? *The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. *I'd not worry about it at
all.

You guys just driving 2-3 yr old cars? My Impala is 'only' 10 yrs
old and I've had the covers off those panels [inside each of the front
doors- so handy] a dozen times at least-- Not even counting the time,
last year, that I fried the wires with one of those cigg. lighter
compressors.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

Nope, I'm talking cars that are 10 to 15 years old. I could be wrong
about the early 70's though, it may have been the late 60's since I
changed a fuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

As far as why you want to do it I'm not gonna address.

Not like there a 100% chance of it happening but you don't want sparks
around a battery because of explosive gasses. More prevalent on batteries
that required maintenance. I believe there are spark free blades for air
powered cutting tools (no motor arcing). A body saw comes to mind.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...issearch=15764

Then again, might be cheaper to buy the right battery. Ooops!, said I
wasn't gonna address that.

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote the following:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

Not if your health insurance is up to date and the hospital is not too
far away.
Keep your cell phone nearby with 911 on speed dial.

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just think of the tax incentives. That should clinch the deal, right there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

If all else fails, get one of them 850lb batteries, remove the entire
engine except for the starter, and use the starter to power the car.
(You'll have to couple the starter to the transmission input shaft,
using rubber bands or duct tape}.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:46:37 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

" wrote:

On Dec 31 2011, 11:40Â*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-snip-
Is the fuse box cover your only concern? Â*The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. Â*I'd not worry about it at
all.

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse
box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it
either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years
here too. I however checked them a little more often than that
when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the
fuse.

You guys just driving 2-3 yr old cars? My Impala is 'only' 10 yrs
old and I've had the covers off those panels [inside each of the front
doors- so handy] a dozen times at least-- Not even counting the time,
last year, that I fried the wires with one of those cigg. lighter
compressors.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

That's weird.
Usually a fuse blowing means something is wrong., and the same fuse
will blow again.
Maybe it was a batch of sub-par fuses when they built it.
My '97 Lumina only blew one fuse so far.
I put a reman A/C compressor on it blew the fuse as soon as it kicked
on. Did the same to a second fuse so I pulled the compressor off and
exchanged it.
That one leaked at the shaft seal after a couple months.
On vacation in Florida where it was 95 degrees and near 100% humidity.
Exchanged that for an OEM and an extra 100 bucks.
Lot of wasted labor and 134a.
I'll never buy a reman A/C compressor again.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:38:43 -0500, willshak
wrote:

micky wrote the following:
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

Not if your health insurance is up to date and the hospital is not too
far away.
Keep your cell phone nearby with 911 on speed dial.

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Actually, just cutting the handle off the average battery is NOT a
safety hazard - and if it has not been recently charged or loaded
hydrogen is not an issue either. But it is still a rather stupid idea
when batteries that actually fit are very readily available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Also alternator should have enough capacity to charge bigger battery in
time when it is running down.

this is not correct

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 18:06:06 -0800 (PST), Mark
wrote:

Hi,
Also alternator should have enough capacity to charge bigger battery in
time when it is running down.

this is not correct

Mark

You are right, Mark. At a minimum, the alternator only needs to put
out a little more than the car uses, for example when the lights,
heater fan on high, sound system, tv and everything else is on. So
it can slowly recharge the battery while everything else is on.
Although it would be more convenient if it put out more than that so
that it could replace the charge used when starting the car a little
more quickly. .

And if necessary one can get by on a little less. That is, for
example, a slightly smaller alternator would work too, if the user
turned off his headlights when watching TV and turned off the tv when
driving.

I had a Universal Power Supply with a 5AH battery. When the battery
died, I broke out some of the ribs inside the UPS to make room and put
in a 10AH battery. It worked fine, just took longer to recharge the
battery, but no longer to put 5AH in the 10AH battery.