Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is 'InstaHang' a decent product?

Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 16, 11:25*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

Check and see if there is something similar by 3M. If there is, buy
it. Probably better priced, better performance, more convenient, etc.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...df59b9c77b0b75
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 12:25*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

Have you looked at the 3M Command Strips line of products?

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...mmand/Command/

No holes, no damage, and no gadgets that need a commercial that begins
with klutzes trying to use a hammer and ends with "But wait...there's
more!" in order to sell them.

I've used various styles of Command Strips to hang all sorts of stuff
and I love 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2011 1:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:25 pm, Robert wrote:
[...]

I've been pushing the Command Strips here for a while and yours is the
first post I've seen that agrees with me. They really stick and they
are removable with no damage. I'm not sure if they have some small
enough for small picture hanging though. For smallish pictures in
drywall I use a pin at about a 33º angle inserted with a pair of needle
nose pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 2:01*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

nose pliers.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure what you consider a "smallish picture."

They have strips with a max load rating of 1 pound. I'd consider any
picture under a pound to be pretty small-ish.

They also have poster hanging strips for hanging - and I quote -
"schedules, posters, calendars and pictures without frames, or as an
alternative to double-sided tape."

Why wouldn't either of those work in place of your pin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2011 2:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 16, 2:01 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

That sounds like they have them smaller than any I have seen or used,
I'll have to take a look next time. I'm sure I'll be buying them,
Thanks! In a pinch one time when I couldn't find my "refills" I heated
the old stretched out one over the toaster and it shrank back to
original size. That reused one has been holding a soap dish in the
shower for 5 or so years now. So much better than those silly suction
cups that always fall off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 2:01 pm, Tony *wrote:
[...]

cups that always fall off.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed, the COMMAND product is a winner!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:29:46 -0600, "Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money "
wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

Looks awfully complicated.

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...df59b9c77b0b75

I agree with you that a nail would be simpler, quicker, cheaper, and
just as good as InstaHang.

They too go in at an upward slant and the weight is born by the nail
right up at the wall, so even a thinner nail can hold plenty. When
one removes the nail, there's a tiny hole to spackle.

But what is even better than that is two nails, 1 to 4 inches apart
(the wider the thing you are hanging, the farther apart the nails can
be.) With two nails pictures and whatever never tilt. Put them in
place once and they stay for years. Even dusting doesn't bother them.

I've seen loads of people use nails, but I don't understand why two
nails aren't more common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At work they used a bunch of 3M command strips to hang some light posters in
frames. I'm not sure if maybe they used ones too small but iff the wall
surface is not up to snuff it can take the paint right off the wall so make
sure you have a good paint job.

And yess they have low profile ones that are just fot pictures.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes the compatator is a proper picture hanger with a nail (and the knowledge
of how to use a hammer :-) ). Just a nail may work but when you add the
correct hanger it can hold more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote the following:
Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

Do you mean better than a finishing nail driven in at an angle?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:44*pm, willshak wrote:
Robert Macy wrote the following:

Anybody know anything about a product called InstaHang?

I ask, because whenever I see an ad on TV I think, "what a great
idea!", but then usually find out that the Competitor's Product to
what is shown works MUCH better.

Just one historical example, Dirt Devil vs Hoover where the TV ads
ran, and ran, and ran, the function shown on TV was great, but the
Hoover competitor product was about twice the product.

So, I ask the group, is this a good product? is there a competitor to
this product that will work better?

Do you mean better than a finishing nail driven in at an angle?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

The problem with finishing nails, or any nails, by themselves is that
they can easily be pushed all the way into the wall while trying to
hang the picture.

DAMHIKT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 3:05*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Plus, the angle is NOT constant, AND the angle can be torn downwards
by the hanging pressure. It would seem there could be advantage to
having a widget that holds the angle of the nail in place, not letting
it tear down.

With these promos, I hate to pay the extra $20 to $40 just to
'reimburse' the vendor for trying to sell it to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 06:04:34 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Dec 23, 3:05Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 23, 12:44Â*pm, willshak wrote:

[...]

Don't know about "insta-Hang" but the brass hooks that are fastended
to the wall by nails or pins pointed 45 degrees down work GREAT. We've
used them at the office to hang rather heavy framed pictures, with no
issues. I think they cost less than a buck a piece (Packiage of 4 or
5, if memory searves correctly, for about 3 or 4 bucks) Bought them
at the local Home Hardware store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For picture hanging I used finishing nails for years with no problem.
For heavier hangings a short drywall screw.
Some years ago my wife stopped asking me to do it, because I wasn't
around or she figured it was faster to do it herself.
Now I only do the stuff that requires plugging.
What does she use?
For light unbreakable hangings, maybe up to a near 2 pounds, pushpins
like this.
http://tinyurl.com/87qpnfx

Yeah, it's as simple as that.
Nothing ever fell, and the pushpins don't pull down.
Their flat base gives them a mechanical advantage over a nail.

But she said they're not "safe" for something that would break if it
fell, so for that she uses 1" drywall screw.
I just had her show me her kit. She keeps it in a kitchen drawer.
Pushpins, some brass screw-in hooks, and screws.
Her favorite is the 1" drywall screw.
She's got a cheap flat screwdriver and a phillips in there.
I just looked and most hangings are on a 1" drywall screw.

Recently, she bought a pack of these.
http://tinyurl.com/7vyn3fo
Overkill she says, and I agree. Besides, they don't work over studs.
She won't buy any more.

That 3M stick-on looks good if you don't want holes in the wall.
Assuming it won't pull paint off.
In our house how it works is once a wall space is used to hang
something, the holes never show until repainting.
If a hanging is removed it gets replaced with something else.
When I repaint my favorite part is spackling and sanding the holes.
Makes me feel like I accomplished something.
Merry Christmas!

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hello, people are having difficulty with the ordering process (see 5th
comment on this page
http://www.tvinfomercialreviews.org/...ahang-reviews/

a decent bow-saw mary Woodworking 5 May 27th 09 03:57 AM
Looking for heater with decent fan James Egan Home Repair 20 November 16th 07 01:08 PM
Where to get decent screws george pagliarulo Woodworking 20 March 12th 07 10:43 PM
HLV-H, decent first lathe? rick Metalworking 16 January 25th 06 07:31 PM
A Decent Screw! mlv UK diy 93 November 16th 04 01:59 PM