how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

Old December 13th 11, 04:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

Hi,

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.
I don't have any tools with me, and it'll be hard to find one at short
notice.

Anyone has any other good ideas?
Thanks so much for looking!

Eric
Old December 13th 11, 04:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 12/13/2011 9:22 AM, eric wrote:

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Surely there's a dorm resident or other person in campus housing that
can answer the question.

Old December 13th 11, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"eric" wrote in message

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.

1. This seems a bit silly. We should expect the person who tells
you of the penalty also to tell you how to replace the bulb.
2. Inventory of trials omits trying to rotate the ring (collar) that
holds the dome, in case the whole cover comes off like
some smoke alarms.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old December 13th 11, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 10:22*am, eric wrote:
[...]

"Got quite a problem here"

I think that as you gain more life experience, you'll find that not
being able to change a light bulb doesn't really count as "quite a
problem", but for now, I guess that's OK.

Having 2 kids in college, I seriously doubt that a burnt out bulb in a
ceiling fixture is cause for a penalty. In fact, I would not expect
the student to be responsible for either the purchase of nor
installation of the bulb. I would lean towards it being a safety/
liability issue where they would *not* want you accessing an
electrical fixture belonging to the facility. Think about falls from
ladders/chairs and/or electrocution due to a faulty fixture or user
error.

That said, I can not see the image due to restrictions on my corporate
machine, but I'm not sure that it matters. If you say there are no
screws, I believe you.

My best un-seeing guess is based on other screwless globes that I've
seen.

There are often very wide threads on the globe that screw into the
fixture. Due to heat, moisture, texture of surfaces, etc. these
threads can often bind in such a way that they are difficult to
unscrew. It may be so tight that you wouldn't even know that it could
be unscrewed.

If that's the case, I would once again point towards the dangers of
doing it yourself. If you apply too much pressure, you could crack the
globe and cut yourself. I seriously think that this is a building
maintenance issue and should be covered in your room and board.

Of course, if you or a roommate had previously removed the globe and
installed a non-standard bulb (e.g. a blue one) and that is the real
reason that you need to change the bulb, then I wish you luck...but be
careful!

Old December 13th 11, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Roy

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:22:33 AM UTC-7, eric wrote:
[...]

Ask the janitor or maintenance engineer in charge of dorm upkeep. He/she will know how to remove the bulb.

Old December 13th 11, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I did look at the photo, and nothing comes to mind. Only coarse threads, and
turn the white ring counter clockwise.

As the others have suggested (which also came to my mind) to ask your
neighbor students, and try to find the custodian. Custodians often will work
for appreciation, food, home made cookies, etc.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old December 13th 11, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"eric" wrote in message
[...]

You may have a spring-loaded ring holding the glass.

Alternately, call the maintenance people for the dorm and ask them how to
replace the bulb

Old December 13th 11, 07:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess that the metal collar unscrews or unclips somehow.
Old December 13th 11, 07:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Smash the dome and replace bulb.

"Dome? What dome?"
Old December 13th 11, 08:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

eric writes:

[...]

Does the glass move even a little side to side?
If so push to the side and see if it gets enough clearance to drop out.
Try a few directions to push.

--
Dan Espen