Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing paint from concrete block wall

On Dec 6, 8:43*am, (Graven Water) wrote:
I need to remove some paint from a concrete block wall, before waterproofing
it.
I have a drill that uses bits with 1/4? hex shank.
So far I've tried a 4" brass wire wheel and a small brass wire cup. *The
wire cup doesn't work at all. The wire wheel gets off a lot of the paint,
but not all of it. *The problem is the roughness of the concrete block
surface. *The wire wheel does fine at removing the paint from the mortar
between blocks.
I can get the paint off fine by hand with a tiny wire brush I have, if I
really bear down. *But I have about 100 sq feet of wall to do, and that would
be way too much work.
I'm sure sandblasting would get the paint off, but I've never sandblasted
anything and I don't know anything about it. *I don't know if you can rent a
small sandblaster. There's a ceramic tile floor, a wood staircase and a
painted closet near that area that would have to be protected. *Sandblasting
would make a big mess.
Is there some kind of wire brush that would work better than the ones I've
tried?

thanks
Laura

@Laura:

Sandblasting is overkill and will only make a mess...

Removing by hand with a wire brush will take forever...

You should contact a mold abatement/fire restoration contractor
and have the block wall blasted with dry ice pellets, works just like
sandblasting except no grit left over, the sublimation of the ice
pellets
coming out of the nozzle under pressure creates quite a blasting
force...

I am baffled just as everyone else is as to why you are trying to
waterproof this block wall from the inside... You need to dig up the
outside of the wall and have it sprayed with hot tar or a rubberized
membrane material to stop the water from getting INTO the wall
itself... It can cause the wall to crack and crumble apart if the
water
is allowed to remain inside the block wall itself...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am baffled just as everyone else is as to why you are trying to
waterproof this block wall from the inside... *You need to dig up the
outside of the wall and have it sprayed with hot tar or a rubberized
membrane material to stop the water from getting INTO the wall
itself... *It can cause the wall to crack and crumble apart if the
water
is allowed to remain inside the block wall itself...

wet basements are very common.

its ultimately impossible to seal water out. even if you seal the
walls the water can and will come up thru the floor.

my moms house had a wet basement, I spent 8 grand on new downspout
drains to daylight near curb, resloped entire yard, exterior french
drain, new sidewalks and steps.

the water stopped for awhile then came up thru basement floor.

I gave up and spent 3500 bucks for interior french drain which finally
ended the problem.....

you cant seal water out, the drlock paint will actually bubble.....

drylock paint of any brand is just a grand waste of money and time

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 9:18*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

It depends on how much you paid for the concrete foundation
and slab when it was poured -- typical residential grade concrete
yes, leaks like a *******... If you pay a little more for a higher
psi rated concrete mix, you don't have that problem...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends on how much you paid for the concrete foundation
and slab when it was poured -- typical residential grade concrete
yes, leaks like a *******... *If you pay a little more for a higher
psi rated concrete mix, you don't have that problem...

concrete can crack, and water leaks at cracks... give any basement
enough time and leaks can and will occur.....

redirect water away from basement is only sure method