Slugs

Old December 5th 11, 05:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slugs

I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie
Old December 5th 11, 07:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:37:52 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie

Stale beer in a small lid (they drown) or pour salt on them (they dry
up). Slugs love moisture. I've not seen them in sink drains, but
normally in areas of lawn sprinklers.

Salt down the drain sounds reasonable -- but how did they get there?
Old December 5th 11, 01:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink.

I have never experienced this, but *after* you use the sink might
help. I know pure salt will kill them, but I don't know about salt
diluted by the water in the trap. Couldn't hoit.

Old December 5th 11, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/11 12:37 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie

I thought slugs ate plants. To get to your sink from the drain, they'd
have to submerge themselves in the trap. I don't think they like to go
underwater.

If you put salt in your drain and they still show up, they must be
coming from elsewhere. They may be seeking water. If you have an idea
where they are entering your kitchen, garlic will repel them. The
caffeine in coffee grounds will kill them.
Old December 5th 11, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2011 12:37 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie

That seems odd..I've only seen them on sidewalks and lawn. Salt kills
them very quickly, so I'd dump a cup of salt into the drain and let it
sit for an hour or so. The may have been on fresh produce and washed
into your drain. I would really be surprised if they return. If you
have any houseplants near the sink, check them, as that is a likely home.
Old December 5th 11, 04:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:37*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie

seal the drain with the stopper to see if they are really coming up
the pipes, i dont see how they can be comming from the sewer, laundry
bleach should kill them and clean up any growth in your pipes they
might go for.
Old December 5th 11, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns writes:

On 12/5/11 12:37 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

Jimmie

I thought slugs ate plants. To get to your sink from the drain,
they'd have to submerge themselves in the trap. I don't think they
like to go underwater.

I doubt they are actual slugs, first they would be too big to get
out of the drain, usually over an inch long and as thick as a pencil.

I've seen little crawlies come out of a drain though, they do move
around like slugs, but they're tiny.

Almost anything will deal with them, hot water, bleach come to mind.

Just don't put any spare nuclear waste down there,
you'll get a Godzilla-slug.

--
Dan Espen
Old December 5th 11, 06:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Amazing! Please be sure to post what you find out about the origin of
the slugs. -- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.COM' (http://www.TRAVEL.com).

Old December 5th 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

A few drops of dish detergent as you finish using the sink would probably make
the trap unpassable to them.

Old December 6th 11, 12:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
JIMMIE wrote:
I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of
them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get
rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt
down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC
pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage
problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect
some type of damage to my plumbing?

A few drops of dish detergent as you finish using the sink would probably
make the trap unpassable to them.

take a photo of them and go to a site like 'tinypics' and they will provide
a link to the photos you can post here.

Need Brass Disks/Slugs/Planchets Earl Metalworking 1 May 29th 06 04:16 AM
Tuning slugs [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 24th 05 11:28 PM
Mice, slugs, trails? Nat UK diy 6 June 29th 05 12:10 AM
Test equipment manuals & Wattmeter slugs for sale Cowboy67 Electronics 1 September 11th 03 01:50 AM