Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It broke (Allen wrench)

For many decades, I have never had an allen wrench break. Bend, yes, but
never snap.

But yesterday, in trying to remove a reluctant wood(!) screw, I had an 1/8th
inch allen wrench snap, and I wasn't even using a "cheater." Poked a hole in
my finger, it did.

The particular allen wrench, from a company who shall remain nameless (Task
Force - Lowes house brand), just smooth broke!

I went out to the truck and retrieved my traveling allen wrench set (I think
the set cost about three bucks from Harbor Freight) and removed the target
screw with no problem.

Analysis:
The problem wrench was part of an eight-wrench set configured in sort of a
Swiss Army Knife rendition. You "open" the desired wrench and twist away.
The long end of each wrench is formed into a loop so that it can be attached
to a small shaft on the "knife."

I suspect that the annealing process necessary to form the loop made the
steel more brittle than an allen wrench should be, and that's the reason the
wrench failed.

Whatever the cause, I plan to see whether Lowe's has a lifetime guarantee on
hand tools - like Harbor Freight - or whether in that regard their tools are
likewise inferior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, HeyBub wrote:

Analysis:

I suspect that........

......when you buy cheap crap, it usually breaks like cheap crap.

http://www.filmtools.com/bonalkeyhexa.html

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:08*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

If Harbor Freight has a lifetime guarantee on their hand tools,
they must be getting a hell of a lot of them back. Not saying
HF tools are all crap, or that they are not a decent choice for
some of the tools you only use once a year, etc. But many of their
tools are cheaply made and won't last. Worst I saw
was a set of slip ring pliers I bought. The tips, instead of
expanding the rings, just bent. HF took them back, but that
was when I had just bought them and had the receipt.

Does HF have a lifetime guarantee?

And IMO, just about anything you buy at Lowes or HD is
a step up in quality from HF. I buy select items at HF,
but not something that I use frequently, expect to last
from considerable use, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, HeyBub wrote:

Analysis:

I suspect that........

.....when you buy cheap crap, it usually breaks like cheap crap.

http://www.filmtools.com/bonalkeyhexa.html

I really "like" the lifetime warranty. You just send them back to the
company and they will send you a new one. Only problem is the tools are
from 4 to 6 bucks. It will cost that much to send them back, especially if
you count your gas and time for anything.

For home use, I like the Sears tools warranty. Years ago their tools did
seem to be of much better quality than they are now. Local store to go to
and as much as my wife shops at the mall where Sears is, lots of trips are
made to that area of town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2011 7:08 AM, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

No lifetime guarantee on the cheap Task Force tools but most of the
Kobalt brand hand tools at Lowes have a lifetime guarantee. If the
wrenches are fairly new I bet you could return them and get your money back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bull****! Lowes does not sell Allen wrenches!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 10:36*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

wrenches are fairly new I bet you could return them and get your money back.- Hide quoted text -

The lifetime warranty claimed was at Harbor Freight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2011 11:22 AM, wrote:
On Dec 3, 10:36 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Re-read the post. He wanted in inquire whether _Lowes_ had a lifetime
guarantee.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 5:08*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

The United States is a litiginous nation! Remember the McDonald's
coffee cup incident?

Contact their customer service, explain what happened, and the INJURY
you sustained. See what they'll do for you.

I once had a UL approved multiple outlet AC adapter from Sears outlet
catch fire! Only because we were present at the time, kept our home
from burning down. You can't believe how nice that company was dealing
with that issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 06:08:43 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Whatever the cause, I plan to see whether Lowe's has a lifetime guarantee on
hand tools - like Harbor Freight - or whether in that regard their tools are
likewise inferior.

I've done my share of wrenching, and never broke a hand tool I wasn't
abusing.
I do recall a Craftsman screwdriver blade that got chipped due to bad
heat treating. I just put it on the grinder.
OTOH, I've lost many hand tools. So the guarantee means squat.
Allen wrench sets or bits are too cheap to buy to worry about.
It is unusual though. I've flexed allen wrenches with cheaters and
hammers and never had one snap.
The one you broke was pure crap.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, Tony Miklos wrote:

Re-read the post. He wanted in inquire whether _Lowes_ had a lifetime
guarantee.

What does it matter? A "lifetime guarantee" is what crappy tool
vendors loudly shout cuz their product is junk. Sears has a lifetime
guarantee, which is useless if you live 100 miles away, yer open end
wrench jes broke, and you need that tool, now! Spending the extra $$$
for quality tools, in the first place, is the best guarantee.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The cheaper allen wrenches are almost always brittle due to low quality
steel. Spend the money for a better brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I agree with previous poster. HF tools are good if it's something you'll
only use once in a great while. Would not buy them for everyday use. Go
with Craftsman or another guaranteed brand.

As for guarantee, they will replace broken hand tools. Just bring in the
broken one and they'll swap it out. I have a neighbor that does it pretty
regularly.
I suspect that the annealing process necessary to form the loop made the
steel more brittle than an allen wrench should be, and that's the reason

the
wrench failed.

Whatever the cause, I plan to see whether Lowe's has a lifetime guarantee

on
hand tools - like Harbor Freight - or whether in that regard their tools

are
likewise inferior.

_________________________
Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernt Berger" wrote in message
Bull****! Lowes does not sell Allen wrenches!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24827-56766-...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_141180-56766...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239364-56766...h&fac etInfo=

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DaveW" wrote in message

"Bernt Berger" wrote in message
Bull****! Lowes does not sell Allen wrenches!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24827-56766-...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_141180-56766...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239364-56766...h&fac etInfo=

Did you notice they are called "hex keys"?

Did you notice they are not called Allen wrenches on the
packaging?

That's because Allen wrench is a registered trademark of the
Allen Manufacturing Company though Allen Manufacturing is
now owned by Danaher Corporation.

Allen tools are made in USA and are a true
professional-grade quality.
You won't find Allen wrenches amongst the Chinese junk tools
at McLowes Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2011 8:14 PM, Anonymous wrote:

"DaveW" wrote in message

"Bernt Berger" wrote in message
Bull****! Lowes does not sell Allen wrenches!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24827-56766-...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_141180-56766...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239364-56766...h&fac etInfo=

Did you notice they are called "hex keys"?

Did you notice they are not called Allen wrenches on the packaging?

That's because Allen wrench is a registered trademark of the Allen
Manufacturing Company though Allen Manufacturing is now owned by Danaher
Corporation.

Allen tools are made in USA and are a true professional-grade quality.
You won't find Allen wrenches amongst the Chinese junk tools at McLowes
Depot.

Do Lowe's be sellin dem Frigidairies? I knows I seed dem in der. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
The United States is a litiginous nation! Remember the McDonald's
coffee cup incident?

Contact their customer service, explain what happened, and the INJURY
you sustained. See what they'll do for you.

I once had a UL approved multiple outlet AC adapter from Sears outlet
catch fire! Only because we were present at the time, kept our home
from burning down. You can't believe how nice that company was dealing
with that issue.

Depends on the company. I bought a SKIL brand sabre saw which, after a few
uses over the course of a few years, developed a fault in the on/off switch.
The problem was that when you turn the saw on, the "on - lock" engages, and
there is no way to shut the saw off unless you lift the saw up out of the
cut, and tip the sabre saw (which is running, and with a blade installed),
sideways.

I figured such a glaring defect, with such dangerous consequences, would
immediately be rectified by the SKIL company, but unfortunately, I was
mistaken.

After speaking to a SKIL "customer service" rep and his manager, I was
informed that the saw was out of warranty, and that I would have to purchase
a replacement switch.

Apparantly to the SKIL company it is preferable to wait until someone
suffers a bodily injury than to replace a defective switch.

That is the last SKIL brand tool I will ever purchase.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I really "like" the lifetime warranty. You just send them back to the
company and they will send you a new one. Only problem is the tools are
from 4 to 6 bucks. It will cost that much to send them back, especially if
you count your gas and time for anything.

.....and is totally useless if one lives 100+ miles from nearest store
or return point and needs the now-broken tool RIGHT NOW. I was a
working mechanic in jes that situation once before and am now in a
similar situation (remote). Better to pay the extra $4-6 or even
$5-10 up front and have a quality dependable tool to begin with.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, Ralph wrote:

I really "like" the lifetime warranty. You just send them back to the
company and they will send you a new one. Only problem is the tools are
from 4 to 6 bucks. It will cost that much to send them back, especially if
you count your gas and time for anything.

....and is totally useless if one lives 100+ miles from nearest store
or return point and needs the now-broken tool RIGHT NOW. I was a
working mechanic in jes that situation once before and am now in a
similar situation (remote). Better to pay the extra $4-6 or even
$5-10 up front and have a quality dependable tool to begin with.

nb

I always try to have backup tool sets.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-03, Ralph wrote:

I really "like" the lifetime warranty. You just send them back to the
company and they will send you a new one. Only problem is the tools are
from 4 to 6 bucks. It will cost that much to send them back, especially if
you count your gas and time for anything.

....and is totally useless if one lives 100+ miles from nearest store
or return point and needs the now-broken tool RIGHT NOW. I was a
working mechanic in jes that situation once before and am now in a
similar situation (remote). Better to pay the extra $4-6 or even
$5-10 up front and have a quality dependable tool to begin with.

nb

We've discussed all this on here before a few dozen times. HF is great
for occasional or one-time-use tools for DIYs. If you are making money
with a tool, unless maybe it it stuff that can't break like a Big Iron
Bar, HF is not the place to shop. Nothing makes you look dumber to
customer than breaking a tool, and maybe breaking their stuff in the
process. Plus of course the extra time to run out and buy a
replacement, and what that does to your day. And in general, for stuff
that can get rounded off or break (allen wrenches, drill bits, etc) even
in quality brands, you should have a backup on the truck.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

We've discussed all this on here before a few dozen times. HF is great
for occasional or one-time-use tools for DIYs. If you are making money
with a tool, unless maybe it it stuff that can't break like a Big Iron
Bar, HF is not the place to shop. Nothing makes you look dumber to
customer than breaking a tool, and maybe breaking their stuff in the
process. Plus of course the extra time to run out and buy a
replacement, and what that does to your day. And in general, for stuff
that can get rounded off or break (allen wrenches, drill bits, etc)
even in quality brands, you should have a backup on the truck.

You may have a point. In the instant case, it was the tool from Lowe's that
broke and the tool from Harbor Freight that didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2011 12:42 PM, HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

We've discussed all this on here before a few dozen times. HF is great
for occasional or one-time-use tools for DIYs. If you are making money
with a tool, unless maybe it it stuff that can't break like a Big Iron
Bar, HF is not the place to shop. Nothing makes you look dumber to
customer than breaking a tool, and maybe breaking their stuff in the
process. Plus of course the extra time to run out and buy a
replacement, and what that does to your day. And in general, for stuff
that can get rounded off or break (allen wrenches, drill bits, etc)
even in quality brands, you should have a backup on the truck.

You may have a point. In the instant case, it was the tool from Lowe's that
broke and the tool from Harbor Freight that didn't.

Shame on me for not reading entire thread. The sub-Kobalt Lowe's house
brand is no better than HF, in my experience- may even be the same
Chinese OEM. I have several of the various fold-out wrench sets, and the
are convenient. But every single one has at least one wrench with a
rounded off end. They don't seem to hold up to production work. The best
ones weigh 2x or 3x the cheap ones, and have a metal U-channel they fold
out from.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2011 9:14 PM, Anonymous wrote:

"DaveW" wrote in message

"Bernt Berger" wrote in message
Bull****! Lowes does not sell Allen wrenches!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24827-56766-...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_141180-56766...h&face tInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239364-56766...h&fac etInfo=

Did you notice they are called "hex keys"?

Did you notice they are not called Allen wrenches on the packaging?

That's because Allen wrench is a registered trademark of the Allen
Manufacturing Company though Allen Manufacturing is now owned by Danaher
Corporation.

Allen tools are made in USA and are a true professional-grade quality.
You won't find Allen wrenches amongst the Chinese junk tools at McLowes
Depot.

You are right, of course, but nobody cares. See Kleenex, Xerox, Scotch
tape, Google, and a thousand others. The market leader always becomes a
synonym for the item in question.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-04, aemeijers wrote:

You are right, of course, but nobody cares. See Kleenex, Xerox, Scotch
tape, Google, and a thousand others. The market leader always becomes a
synonym for the item in question.

Yep. Many brand names have become applied to the generic term for a
tool. A crescent wrench, channel-lock pliers, phillips screwdriver
are but a few. Not that the original was always better or a 2nd gen
generic tool can't be as good or better than the original. Williams
Tool made better adjustable wrenches than Crescent Tool.

Good tools are where you find them. The best pair of adjustable
pliers (channel-locks) I ever owned were cheapo knock-offs made by
Wizard and sold by Grand Auto. Hardened jaws and form-fitting handles
at half the price. Also, many tools are simply rebranded. You don't
think Snap-On actually makes all those tools, do you? They may have
super good wrenches, but I once bought a Snap-On oil can that was cheap
junk and broke the first time I used it. Many once great brand names
have been bought by Chinese companies. I've got an old B&D 3/8" adj
drill motor that's almost indestructable. Will run till it's too hot
to hold. I wouldn't give eight cents for the new B&D line.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-04, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Yep. And sometimes an entity gets an early reputation and coasts. Quick,
name the "best" university in America....

Most would say Harvard. Harvard was the first university in America and
earned its reputation early. Since then, the school has pretty much
withered. On the other hand, very, very few people can name the SECOND
university founded in America...

William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA, founded 1693). That school has been
trying to catch up - in reputation - for over 300 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-05, HeyBub wrote:

William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA, founded 1693). That school has been
trying to catch up - in reputation - for over 300 years.

Maybe if the turn it into a penitentiary.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 3, 10:23*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

On 2011-12-03, HeyBub wrote:

Analysis:

I suspect that........

.....when you buy cheap crap, it usually breaks like cheap crap.

http://www.filmtools.com/bonalkeyhexa.html

I really "like" the lifetime warranty. *You just send them back to the
company and they will send you a new one. *Only problem is the tools are
from 4 to 6 bucks. *It will cost that much to send them back, especially if
you count your gas and time for anything.

For home use, I like the Sears tools warranty. Years ago their tools did
seem to be of much better quality than they are now. Local store to go to
and as much as my wife shops at the mall where Sears is, lots of trips are
made to that area of town.

The problem that I've had with Sears is that they don't stock a lot of
tools, and won't order stuff for you for warranty - they'll only
exchange your stuff if they have it in store. So if you need to
warranty, say, a metric flare nut wrench - the warranty is useless.
(not that I've ever had that happen to me, mind you.)

On the upside, it's worked *for* me at least once as well - had to
warranty a 1/2" drive ratchet, and they don't "sell" the ratchet
rebuild kits anymore. It was the typical Craftsman forged-finish
ratchet, and they didn't have one in the "rebuild" drawer that they
use for ratchet warranties. They did, however, have the polished-
handle version, and for some reason would rather give me the rebuilt
polished handle one than the new equivalent of the one that I had in
my hand. That did make me happy!

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-05, HeyBub wrote:

William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA, founded 1693). That school has
been trying to catch up - in reputation - for over 300 years.

Maybe if the turn it into a penitentiary.

It already is in the sense that it's training it's inmates to unproductive
lines of endeavor (Women's Studies, Black History, Leprechauns in
Literature, Medieval and Renaissance Studies, etc. They even sport a "Design
Your Own Major" program.).

Gear Wrench 9224 4 Piece Torx Ratcheting Wrench Set [email protected] Woodturning 0 May 22nd 09 11:35 AM
Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench Lowell Holmes Woodworking 100 December 29th 08 03:07 PM
allen aleen123 Home Repair 5 November 18th 06 12:14 PM
Broken allen wrench removal Wayne Metalworking 7 April 13th 06 09:27 PM
Flexible Allen Wrench? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 19 March 15th 05 03:36 AM