Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman Gas Furnace - Not working :(

Hello all! I have a Coleman Gas Furnace that is not working. For a
while the problem was intermittent, but now it completely quit. The
thermostat is working properly, sending the furnace the signal to
heat. The sensors and the igniter are working. The igniter glows and
is ready for the gas valve to open. You hear a click in the control
module and the gas valve does not turn on and the igniter shuts down.
We are torn between the control module and the gas valve being
defective. Any help would be very appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 10:31*am, wrote:
Hello all! I have a Coleman Gas Furnace that is not working. For a
while the problem was intermittent, but now it completely quit. The
thermostat is working properly, sending the furnace the signal to
heat. The sensors and the igniter are working. The igniter glows and
is ready for the gas valve to open. You hear a click in the control
module and the gas valve does not turn on and the igniter shuts down.
We are torn between the control module and the gas valve being
defective. Any help would be very appreciated.

Put a VOM on the wires going to the gas valve. If it gets voltage
when it's supposed to open, then it's the valve. No voltage, then
it's something else, most likely the controller. I'd also measure
the voltage with the wires disconnected, because if the valve
solenoid is shorted you could read zero or low voltage due to
the short. Voltage is usually 24V.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 09:08:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 4, 10:31Â*am, wrote:
Hello all! I have a Coleman Gas Furnace that is not working. For a
while the problem was intermittent, but now it completely quit. The
thermostat is working properly, sending the furnace the signal to
heat. The sensors and the igniter are working. The igniter glows and
is ready for the gas valve to open. You hear a click in the control
module and the gas valve does not turn on and the igniter shuts down.
We are torn between the control module and the gas valve being
defective. Any help would be very appreciated.

Put a VOM on the wires going to the gas valve. If it gets voltage
when it's supposed to open, then it's the valve. No voltage, then
it's something else, most likely the controller. I'd also measure
the voltage with the wires disconnected, because if the valve
solenoid is shorted you could read zero or low voltage due to
the short. Voltage is usually 24V.

I would do the opposite - I'd test it with the valve connected,
because a high resistance connection would still show full voltage
when disconnected - and would show low or no voltage when connected. A
shorted solenoid is a much less likely situation - and can easily be
tested for with an ohm-meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 2:24*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/4/2011 9:31 AM, wrote:

Hello all! I have a Coleman Gas Furnace that is not working. For a
while the problem was intermittent, but now it completely quit. The
thermostat is working properly, sending the furnace the signal to
heat. The sensors and the igniter are working. The igniter glows and
is ready for the gas valve to open. You hear a click in the control
module and the gas valve does not turn on and the igniter shuts down.
We are torn between the control module and the gas valve being
defective. Any help would be very appreciated.

Would you happen to have the model number of your furnace? I may be able
to look up the wiring diagram or service manual online. If your
furnace is a later model, the problem could be something as simple as
a Klixon temperature sensor with a manual reset button. I found a good
example picture showing what a manual reset safety sensor looks like
and you'll notice the reset button between the Faston terminals. The
one you have may have a smaller black button and there may be several
mounted in different places inside the burner cover.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/medi...yne/626343.jpg

TDD

The model number is: 7970-656/D One thing my husband did do, he
hooked up a power supply to the gas valve while it was going through
the cycle and it opened to allow gas into the burning chamber. The
meter says it is getting voltage, so I am rather confused. Thank you
all for trying to help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/4/2011 9:31 AM, wrote:

[...]

all for trying to help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe the volts from the power supply spin clockwise
while the volts from the control board spin counter-clockwise?
Could be the valve was made for Australia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:15:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 4, 2:24Â*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/4/2011 9:31 AM, wrote:

[...]

Was it connected when you checked the voltage? Like I said in a
will show full voltage when open circuit, and low or no voltage when
connected to the load (solenoid coil).I'm suspicious you have a cold
solder joint somewhere on the control board

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would that power signal tend to close the valve more tightly? Some of those
South American models had that problem, I heard.

wrote in message

Maybe the volts from the power supply spin clockwise
while the volts from the control board spin counter-clockwise?
Could be the valve was made for Australia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 12/4/2011 9:31 AM, wrote:

[...]

Thank you all SO much for your input. After doing a lot of
troubleshooting, reading what everyone had to say, and reading on
other sites, we went ahead and replaced the control module and it is
working beautifully
Posted to alt.home.repair

Every once in a while, a home gets repaired, with advice from the readers of
this list. This is one such moment, and that feels good. Of course, the HVAC
contractors of the world wanted the business, too.

wrote in message

Was it connected when you checked the voltage? Like I said in a
will show full voltage when open circuit, and low or no voltage when
connected to the load (solenoid coil).I'm suspicious you have a cold
solder joint somewhere on the control board

Thank you all SO much for your input. After doing a lot of
troubleshooting, reading what everyone had to say, and reading on
other sites, we went ahead and replaced the control module and it is
working beautifully

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Coleman furness model #7956a856 aND the plastic button you push down for pilot and start broken in half dose anyone know how I can get it fixed or who I can call to ask for a replacement part thanks for your help.