Septic alarm

Old December 1st 11, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic alarm

I'm hoping someone here has experience with septic system alarms and
can give me advice on my next step.

I will give you the scoop (no pun intended) if someone responds.

Thanks!
Old December 2nd 11, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:53*pm, RBM wrote:

* Thanks!

OK, what are the symptoms?

OK thanks for the responses.
Here's the story.

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me advice and possibly how-to
direction.

We had heavy rains a couple of days ago.
My septic alarm went off during the rain (when no water was being used
in the house).
The alarm has stayed on ever since.

System is 13 years old (with pump replaced 5 years ago).

Today I had the chambers pumped, but first I wanted to check the pump
well to see what the problem is.
The water level in the well was low (below the pump float threshold).
The alarm float was dangling straight down, a couple of feet from the
top.

The septic worker diagnosed the problem to be with the alarm float.
He raised the pump float and the pump turned on, so the pump is fine.

After jiggling the alarm float I checked the alarm inside and it was
still on.

So my questions center on the alarm float.

I have a couple of quotes at around $250 (parts and labor).

Can I do the repair myself and would it be worth it?

There is a alarm box in the basement that plugs into a power
receptacle.
The alarm box has one cord running from it through the basement wall,
underground and feeds into the pump chamber.

The hole in the basement wall is sealed with soft putty.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old December 2nd 11, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 8:36 PM, wrote:
On Dec 1, 5:53 pm, wrote:

[...]

As far as the alarm part of the system goes, there should be a pair of
wires, or a two wire rubber cord going from the alarm box to the alarm
float in the pit. The problem is either a bad float, or a bad cord,
where the wires have shorted together internally, causing the alarm to
stay on. Depending upon how the wiring was installed, it could be a very
easy installation.
Old December 2nd 11, 04:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 10:40*pm, RBM wrote:

As far as the alarm part of the system goes, there should be a pair of
wires, or a two wire rubber cord going from the alarm box to the alarm
float in the pit. The problem is either a bad float, or a bad cord,
where the wires have shorted together internally, causing the alarm to
stay on. Depending upon how the wiring was installed, it could be a very
easy installation.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment.
The question is though, would I be able to troubleshoot this myself?
I have a multi-meter and some electronics knowledge, but I'm not a
elec. wiz.
Granted this situation isn't rocket science.

Is there a quick way to get to the core of this on my own?

TIA

Old December 2nd 11, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 10:25*pm, wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:40*pm, RBM wrote:

As far as the alarm part of the system goes, there should be a pair of
wires, or a two wire rubber cord going from the alarm box to the alarm
float in the pit. The problem is either a bad float, or a bad cord,
where the wires have shorted together internally, causing the alarm to
stay on. Depending upon how the wiring was installed, it could be a very
easy installation.

* Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment.
The question is though, would I be able to troubleshoot this myself?
I have a multi-meter and some electronics knowledge, but I'm not a
elec. wiz.
Granted this situation isn't rocket science. *

Is there a quick way to get to the core of this on my own?

*TIA

How accessible is the alarm float? If you totally remove power at the
house, and then cut the wires going to the float at a point where you
can replace the float, then you can cut the wires, make sure the ends
of the two conductors coming from the house are not touching each
other, then plug it in back at the house. The alarm should be off.
Assuming it is off, then the float alarm is defective and you should
replace it. If the alarm is still on when you repower it, with the
wires cut, then there is a defect/short in the wiring somewhere.
Sounds like you are reasonably capable, just need some reassurance.

Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 10:00 AM
Smoke alarm or stink alarm LSMFT Home Repair 3 March 27th 10 11:55 PM
Septic [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 7th 07 05:22 PM
septic DickB Home Repair 1 July 7th 04 04:05 PM
Simple cheap wireless personal alarm (not intruder alarm) required Roy Gilbert UK diy 7 May 6th 04 07:46 AM