Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Latest scam on the elderly

"A South Florida trio is facing up to two decades in prison after
conning elderly customers into buying unnecessary septic products — in
some cases more than 70 years worth of toilet paper, federal
prosecutors say. "

"...Victims were also told that they needed special soap, detergent
and toilet paper or their septic tanks would not pass federal
inspection."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/employees-of-west-palm-beach-company-guilty-of-1995994.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:39:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

"A South Florida trio is facing up to two decades in prison after
conning elderly customers into buying unnecessary septic products — in
some cases more than 70 years worth of toilet paper, federal
prosecutors say. "

"...Victims were also told that they needed special soap, detergent
and toilet paper or their septic tanks would not pass federal
inspection."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/employees-of-west-palm-beach-company-guilty-of-1995994.html

I WAS NO WHERE NEW FLORIDA IN THE LAST 5 YEARS!

-T.E. Stosterone
Posted to alt.home.repair

Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote in
:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...t-palm-beach-c
ompany-guilty-of-1995994.html

I WAS NO WHERE NEW FLORIDA IN THE LAST 5 YEARS!

-T.E. Stosterone

Poor critter. Anybody knoes Fl is heaven it the winter season....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:39*pm, Oren wrote:
"A South Florida trio is facing up to two decades in prison after
conning elderly customers into buying unnecessary septic products in
some cases more than 70 years worth of toilet paper, federal
prosecutors say. "

"...Victims were also told that they needed special soap, detergent
and toilet paper or their septic tanks would not pass federal
inspection."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/employees-of-west-palm-beach-...

I have a simple rule of thumb. I assume anybody that calls me that I
do not know is lying to me.
Most are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:39*pm, Oren wrote:
"A South Florida trio is facing up to two decades in prison after
conning elderly customers into buying unnecessary septic products in
some cases more than 70 years worth of toilet paper, federal
prosecutors say. "

"...Victims were also told that they needed special soap, detergent
and toilet paper or their septic tanks would not pass federal
inspection."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/employees-of-west-palm-beach-...

I feel so sorry, within reason, for those that fall victim to hard-
sell sales tactics.

If I end up with a bad product or bad service (and I have) it will be
after I have done all of the research that I feel is required and have
made what I consider to be an informed purchase. At that point I have
no one to blame but myself.

I don't understand (I do, but you know what I mean) why some people
fold under the pressure of a hard sell when all that they have to do
is say "No, I'm not ready to buy yet" and hang up.

In order to complete the transaction, the victim has to take many
specific actions - provide contact information, sign a check or
provide a credit card number, etc. with so many points along the way
to stop and just not do it. There must have been some point where the
victims said to themselves "This just doesn't sound right." I've been
there. I've changed my mine with pen in hand just prior to signing the
seal-the-deal document.

I know, I know...it's not as simple as it sounds for some people, but
it should be. I'm naturally suspicious, so my defensives are up as
soon as the sales pitch - or end-of-the-world warnings, as in this
case - begin. I wish everyone was like that. If they were, none of
these scams would work.

"They agreed to cooperate with prosecutors and will be sentenced in
February"

I'll bet that the "cooperation" won't include actual dollars-in-hand
restitution to the victims.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:39*pm, Oren wrote:
"A South Florida trio is facing up to two decades in prison after
conning elderly customers into buying unnecessary septic products in
some cases more than 70 years worth of toilet paper, federal
prosecutors say. "

"...Victims were also told that they needed special soap, detergent
and toilet paper or their septic tanks would not pass federal
inspection."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/employees-of-west-palm-beach-...

I have a simple rule of thumb. I assume anybody that calls me that I
do not know is lying to me.
Most are.

That's a good rule. I always tell callers I never buy anything over the
telephone unless I make the phone call. That usually shuts them up.

But the elderly are particularly susceptible to scams like this. My
brother's father-in-law is an old Republican who has lost all his
marbles. That's not a political comment, but an ageist comment. He
routinely gets official-looking letters from scammers asking him to
send money or Obama will take away his medicare (or similar). He gets
so irate that he writes a check for $500 or $1000 and sends it to them.
It's gotten so bad that my sister-in-law has started intercepting his
mail so he won't be ripped off any more.

the other Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If I end up with a bad product or bad service (and I have) it will be
after I have done all of the research that I feel is required and have
made what I consider to be an informed purchase. At that point I have
no one to blame but myself.

Just wait until you're older and your brain slows. A friend, now in his
80's, got conned into buying a security system from some high-pressure
salesmen who knocked at his door. While he can still resist most phone
solicitations (partly because he can't hear) once he's opened the door to
someone, anything can happen. As an evangelic Christian, he was mightily
surprised to find out he had purchased something from Mormons, who
apparently use the skills they learn proselytizing door-to-door in their
sales
work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/us/12coldcalls.html

The salesmen are mostly former Mormon missionaries from Utah who cut
their teeth - and learned their people-skill chops - cold-calling for their
faith. In Chicago and in its suburbs where their employer, Pinnacle Security
of Orem, Utah, has shipped them for the summer sales season, they are doing
much the same thing, but as a job. . . Pinnacle's salesmen are also applying
skills learned in the mission field, like "mimic and mirror," a technique of
adapting one's posture and bearing to the person being spoken to as a way of
inducing trust - if his arms are crossed, you cross yours; if she tilts her
head in asking a question, you do the same . . .Newbies, for fear they may
retreat to their cars, are dropped off and left on foot without shelter or
access to a bathroom unless they can gain admittance into a house to make
their sales pitch.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 2:42 PM, Frank Warner wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's too bad. When they send you mail, there is much more potential
for them to get in trouble and it costs them much more. They only do it
to those that have been scammed in the past. I'm older and hope I do
not get this bad. It happened to a neighbor of mine, who is not senile,
but got hit big time by someone that told him they were police and
wanted to get credit information from him to catch a scammer and he fell
for it and gave them credit card numbers, pin numbers and the like.
He will not tell me how much they got but he is now on a mailing list
where he even gets postage paid letters from Europe trying to scam him.

On original track, talking to a former neighbor last week whose son is a
cop, was told by him not to give money to the police solicitors unless
they would come in a squad car in full uniform to pick up the donation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:39 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Do you mean that when that big red truck with the flashing lights,
ladders and hoses pulls up in front of my house and the guys with the
rain coats, axes and helmets knock on my door, it's legit?

I wasn't sure, so I sent them away.

hmm...maybe that explains why my garage burnt down even though I
called 911 three times.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle29887.htm

Elderly paint rbel UK diy 8 April 3rd 11 10:35 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 01:36 AM
WWJ latest scam - DVD club Limp Arbor Woodworking 16 April 19th 09 05:25 PM
O/T: The Elderly Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 0 December 4th 08 12:44 AM