Roundup shelf life

Old November 26th 11, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup shelf life

I have about a gallon of premixed Roundup in a two-gallon garden
pressure sprayer that I mixed about six months ago and did not use. It
has been sitting in my garden shed since June.

With the glorious warm weather we're having in SoCal this weekend I
thought I'd hit a few weeds that sprouted during the recent rains, but
I don't know if this six-month-old Roundup is still good. I've read the
package instructions carefully and it says nothing about storing
premixed product. It does say that Roundup becomes inert
("deactivated") when it hits the soil, but nothing about the
effectiveness of leftover mix. I vaguely recall some of the
groundskeepers at work mentioning that mixed Roundup slowly becomes
inert with time, but my memory of those conversations is a bit fuzzy.

It's no biggie to mix up a fresh batch, but as expensive as this stuff
is, I'd like to not waste it if it's still good. I thought I'd ask here
before calling Monsanto.

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com
Old November 26th 11, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 11/26/2011 1:21 PM, Frank J Warner wrote:
I have about a gallon of premixed Roundup in a two-gallon garden
pressure sprayer that I mixed about six months ago and did not use. It
has been sitting in my garden shed since June.

It's no biggie to mix up a fresh batch, but as expensive as this stuff
is, I'd like to not waste it if it's still good. I thought I'd ask here
before calling Monsanto.

It'll be ok...just wet a little more than normal.

We use it in large quantities (like 55 gal drums) for ag purposes and
often may have some left from one season to next. It's not quite as
effective even then but for a couple months or so doubt if you'll see
any difference.

Oh...throw a little household detergent in there as a surfactant...it'll
wet better that'll help.

Old November 26th 11, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 11:21*am, Frank J Warner
wrote:
[...]

***Check with rec.gardens. They are pretty savvy, and always
friendly and courteous.

Answers.com said : store in a cool dark place and it can last a
year.

The operative word there might be "can". But you also need to take
Monsanto's advice with a grain of salt. They might want you to buy
more.

HB

HB

Old November 27th 11, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Frank J
Warner wrote:

[...]

Thanks all.

I used the old Roundup. But it ran out fast and I have a large yard, so
I mixed a fresh batch and went over everything with the new mix just to
make sure.

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com
Old November 27th 11, 09:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2011 11:21 AM, Frank J Warner wrote:
[...]

why not just spray it and see what happens? It doesn't go bad.

--
Steve Barker
Old November 27th 11, 03:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 3:24*am, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

I've mixed it and had it sitting for months in a hot garage and
it worked fine. Also, I have 3 gallons of the high concentration
glyphosate, ie generic Roundup, that I've been slowly using for
10 years and it works fine. Roundup comes in a variety of
concentrations and I would strongly suspect that the diluting
agent is always water. So, if the concentrate lasts for years,
don't see why the mixed would not as well. Also, if there
were a date issue, especially with only a few months, how
would they be able to sell the ready to use stuff? It would
go bad in the supply chain, stores, etc. Would need to have
a date on it and it doesnt.
Old November 27th 11, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2011 2:21 PM, Frank J Warner wrote:
[...]

Why not just try it? Its not like the question was "I have an old
container of glue and wonder if it will work?"
Old November 27th 11, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I keep a quart bottle of it mixed and sitting on the back porch
windowsill. Been there for many long years winter and summer.

Just as effective when I used a small couple squirts last summer as it
was when I mixed it.

Harry K
Old November 28th 11, 07:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank J Warner wrote:
[...]

Based on my experience today, I'd say the issue is not whether the
chemicals will kill but how plugged up the spray hardware has become.

Old November 28th 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Steve
Barker wrote:

[...]

Well, see, the idea was to avoid spraying twice if I could help it.

It doesn't go bad.

So I've heard.

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com/

Eggshell shelf life asalcedo UK diy 7 June 13th 11 12:52 PM
Emulsion shelf life? Rob[_10_] UK diy 8 April 8th 08 09:21 AM
anchorseal shelf life ? minnjim Woodturning 12 February 6th 07 07:57 AM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 03:34 PM
Titebond Shelf Life Jerry Woodworking 4 May 19th 05 04:50 AM