Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX for homebrew .............

Getting ready to plumb up some stuff, and was wondering if I should use PEX.
Tinker-Toy easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

Have you used it? Would you recommend it? How about sanitary-wise? On
some of my stuff, it will be a gravity feed, so pressure is not an issue,
but PEX works at fairly high operating pressure anyway. Can even use it for
CO2 manifold.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 2:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Getting ready to plumb up some stuff, and was wondering if I should use PEX.
Tinker-Toy easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

Have you used it? *Would you recommend it? *How about sanitary-wise? *On
some of my stuff, it will be a gravity feed, so pressure is not an issue,
but PEX works at fairly high operating pressure anyway. *Can even use it for
CO2 manifold.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated.

Steve

best thing since sliced bread, use all homeruns off a manifold, cheap
and easy to work with, the copper thieves wouldnt profit from trashing
your home
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:10:26 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Nov 23, 2:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Getting ready to plumb up some stuff, and was wondering if I should use PEX.
Tinker-Toy easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

Have you used it? *Would you recommend it? *How about sanitary-wise? *On
some of my stuff, it will be a gravity feed, so pressure is not an issue,
but PEX works at fairly high operating pressure anyway. *Can even use it for
CO2 manifold.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated.

Steve.

I think you will be fine using PEX. I do not homebrew, but every water
fixture in my house is connected to PEX...."flexible, resistant to
scale and chlorine, doesn't corrode or develop pinholes...

(There is one type used for Natural gas lines I've seen in recent
years, but not what you need)

I guess the question is, what size?

best thing since sliced bread, use all homeruns off a manifold, cheap
and easy to work with, the copper thieves wouldnt profit from trashing
your home

Bob,

This is for beer making, not a complete house install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Nov 23, 2:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Getting ready to plumb up some stuff, and was wondering if I should use
PEX.
Tinker-Toy easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

Have you used it? Would you recommend it? How about sanitary-wise? On
some of my stuff, it will be a gravity feed, so pressure is not an issue,
but PEX works at fairly high operating pressure anyway. Can even use it
for
CO2 manifold.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated.

Steve

best thing since sliced bread, use all homeruns off a manifold, cheap
and easy to work with, the copper thieves wouldnt profit from trashing
your home

Too bad that in colder climates where it's exposed to the cold, such as a
seasonal cabin, the PEX gets brittle after a few winters and starts cracking
and splitting randomly, usually behind the most difficult to get at wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too bad that in colder climates where it's exposed to the cold, such as a
seasonal cabin, the PEX gets brittle after a few winters and starts cracking
and splitting randomly, usually behind the most difficult to get at wall

I havent seen this, PEX appears to expand and contract better than
copper.

Where copper will split PEX just gives a little.

Although it shouldnt be left to freeeze for years, without
winterizing.

Do you blow out lines and fill with RV antifreeze, the non toxic type?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:59:52 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Getting ready to plumb up some stuff, and was wondering if I should use PEX.
Tinker-Toy easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

Have you used it? Would you recommend it? How about sanitary-wise? On
some of my stuff, it will be a gravity feed, so pressure is not an issue,
but PEX works at fairly high operating pressure anyway. Can even use it for
CO2 manifold.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated.

Steve

PEX has been well tested by drunken rednecks who carry shotguns in the
trailer-house parks. It was originally designed for cheap disposible
trailer houses, and generally lasts the life of most trailer-homes,
which is normally 7 to 10 years, or less depending how many times the
"trailer trash" dwellers shoot their shotguns inside the house when
they're drunk or doing crack.

If you and your family are certified "trailer trash", PEX should serve
you well. Just avoid aiming your gun toward the plumbing when you
shoot your wife, your neighbors, or your coon-dog who wont hunt coon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Nov 23, 2:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Very nice to know, sir. We just did some repairs and used some PEX at the
cabin. I foresee replacing that this summer with copper due to your
statement. I shall keep the SharkBites, tho. There is that one place
behind the hot water heater (of course) that's a bitch to get to, but with a
little more time than we had, I can redo that in copper. Good thing I got a
"few" winters.

I guess I'll know when I fire it up for next summer. This is getting to be
a yearly ritual, and this summer, I am definitely going to do some rigging
to introduce alcohol based RV antifreeze into the system, after blowing it
out with compressed air. Just add a Schrader valve. Damn, it's always
something.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

Too bad that in colder climates where it's exposed to the cold, such as a
seasonal cabin, the PEX gets brittle after a few winters and starts
cracking
and splitting randomly, usually behind the most difficult to get at wall

I havent seen this, PEX appears to expand and contract better than
copper.

Where copper will split PEX just gives a little.

Although it shouldnt be left to freeeze for years, without
winterizing.

Do you blow out lines and fill with RV antifreeze, the non toxic type?

The Piping is designed to drain by gravity
You open all faucets above, and the drain at the lowest level just below the
water pump, and gravity does the rest.
All horizontal runs are just off the horizontal to avoid pooling areas.

It's not a question of PEX bursting because of water freezing in the pipe
It's a problem of PEX getting brittle from the cold
Unlike PEX, copper does NOT get brittle from the cold

homebrew degreasant Jules[_2_] UK diy 10 July 26th 09 09:34 AM
homebrew formby's refinisher? nick[_2_] Home Repair 1 August 27th 08 04:02 PM
Watco vs. Wiping vs. Homebrew MB Woodworking 10 November 21st 05 04:23 AM
homebrew preservative? JEB Woodturning 11 August 29th 05 06:17 AM
homebrew steel die Lefteris Metalworking 6 January 19th 04 04:07 PM