Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Leak

I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:

I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not
a lot of damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire
brush and alcohol, but now the batteries are corroding in two
days. Any ideas on how to neutralize the corrosion?

Mix some baking soda in hot water (as much soda as the water will take
without coming out of suspension) and pour into flashlight battery
compartment and let sit there for 10-30 minutes, then rinse with warm
water and then with a final rinse of alcohol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

More details, please. What kind of flashlight? Are the
batteries leaking, or are they experiencing corrosion from
the outside of the battery?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...
I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly
so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush
and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas
on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Michael Dobony wrote:

I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Hmmm... sorry, but really you didn't catch it early at all.

As another poster mentioned, the baking soda and water might help, but
don't allow it to get into the switch assembly.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:37:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

More details, please. What kind of flashlight? Are the
batteries leaking, or are they experiencing corrosion from
the outside of the battery?

The batteries are rusting and loosing the shine on the bare metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The batteries which corroded. Which type were they?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:37:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

More details, please. What kind of flashlight? Are the
batteries leaking, or are they experiencing corrosion from
the outside of the battery?

The batteries are rusting and loosing the shine on the bare
metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Common vinegar does well, but you have to test sample it and see if it will
affect any anodized areas, or others. Then, there is the cleaning of small
interior hard to reach places, usually with a synthetic tube brush that will
get the remainder. Common water is good, and distilled if you're picky.

My experience is that sometimes the affected area may be so deep or
inaccessible and irreparable, it's just best to bury it in the back yard
next to Sparky who got hit by the school bus.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I still wake up, crying. For Sparky, my four D cell
Maglight, that got run over by the school bus.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..

My experience is that sometimes the affected area may be so
deep or
inaccessible and irreparable, it's just best to bury it in
the back yard
next to Sparky who got hit by the school bus.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 1, 8:19*am, Michael Dobony wrote:
I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Given your situation, I would simply send the flashlight to the
battery manufacturer to take advantage of their warranty. If the
batteries are a non warranty type, it would be appropriate to simply
discard the corroded item and buy a new, maybe better, one. Your time
has value...use it wisely. Your call.

JB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 6:19 PM, Joe wrote:
On Nov 1, 8:19 am, Michael wrote:
I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of
damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol,
but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to
neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Given your situation, I would simply send the flashlight to the
battery manufacturer to take advantage of their warranty. If the
batteries are a non warranty type, it would be appropriate to simply
discard the corroded item and buy a new, maybe better, one. Your time
has value...use it wisely. Your call.

JB

Have you checked postal package rates lately? Unless he has a
particularly expensive flashlight, the shipping costs might not be worth
the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote in
:

In article ,
Michael Dobony wrote:

I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a
lot of damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush
and alcohol, but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any
ideas on how to neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Hmmm... sorry, but really you didn't catch it early at all.

As another poster mentioned, the baking soda and water might help, but
don't allow it to get into the switch assembly.

Erik

If you use -alkaline- cells,you use VINEGAR(a mild acid) to neutralize the
electrolyte.
then rinse with water,dry with 91% isopropyl alcohol. (available at CVS.)

if you use "heavy-duty" (carbon-zinc) cells,you use baking soda solution to
neutralize the acid electrolyte.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik