Ventless Propane Stoves

Old November 1st 11, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ventless Propane Stoves

I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

The pellet stove is to problematic and when it gets to the point it
needs cleaning it will dump still smoldering ash into the ash pan and
too much smoke gets into the house. And when the wind blows in a
certain direction hard enough in the winter it effects how easily the
smoke gets out the chimney and backs some of that up into the stove
and some of that gets into the house and the stove doesn't burn
properly. And when an igniter goes out and has to be replaced, it
almost always happens in the middle of the night and is a PITA to
replace.

My problem is that I don't know much about those propane stoves. How
much crap does the ventless ones put in the air inside the house? I
don't think you can have combustion efficient enough to not put some
smoke or contaminants in the air. Do they break down all the time
too?

In the stores I've visited, I've only seen the ventless ones. Do they
make one that I can add a chimney too and vent the smoke outside?

I don't have the most air tight house in the world but it's not too
drafty either.

I don't have a propane tank so I will need to get one. I would also
get a CO detector, an O2 detector and and see if there is something
that will detect a gas leak. One stove I looked at already has a low
oxygen detector but I would want to make sure I have some sort of low
oxygen warning system if the stove doesn't have it or maybe even
double up on it even if the stove does.

What other questions can you folks thing of I should be asking.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

-C-
Old November 1st 11, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Country" wrote in message ...
I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

personally i would NEVER have a propane device in a home with a below grade crawl space or even worse a basement.

propane is heavier than air and gas escaping from a leaky fitting will collect in low spots. when the conditions are right....KABOOM!
Old November 1st 11, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 7:27 AM, Country wrote:
[...]

i have 2 propane (vented) fireplaces. every year before i turn on the
pilot i have to clean the inside of the glass to get rid of the soot, so
there must be something coming out of it that would go into your house
if unvented.
Old November 1st 11, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 12:07*pm, chaniarts wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I looked around the internet more after posting this and found
some stuff that makes me think I had better go with a vented one. I
think I will call the HVAC place that maintains my heat pump and have
somebody come out and give me some recommendations.

I will stay away from the place that sold me the pellet stove. They do
all kinds of heating installations too but I wasn't very impressed
with the service people they sent out to work on the pellet stove when
the first igniter burned out.

-C-
Old November 1st 11, 06:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Country wrote:

I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

This is one of *those* annual threads.g I predict a long one.

I went from wood to ventless propane 12 years ago. at the time it
was a complete win. I was buying wood and I got more heat for less
money buying propane.

Propane has gone way up, but I think overall it is pretty close now,
moneywise.

What I *don't* have is work, mess, and uneven heating. When I want
heat I have it-- and when I don't, I turn it off.

-snip-
My problem is that I don't know much about those propane stoves. How
much crap does the ventless ones put in the air inside the house? I
don't think you can have combustion efficient enough to not put some
smoke or contaminants in the air.

Mine adds moisture. [which is welcome because the rest of the house
is heated with hot air. It is in a room with 6 windows and a door &
they never steam up-- so the amount of moisture is not harmful.]

It is a dust magnet, but the dust is clean. As far as I see, there
are no contaminants in the house.

Do they break down all the time too?

The first year after I bought mine I 'had' to buy a new igniter. [$32]
When it appeared to be bad the next fall I got looking around & saw
that the common cause of problems was a speck of dust. A blast with
a can of air cures them. Now I get 5-6 years out the igniter.
Other than that, I dust it each fall with a shop vac & I've wiped it
down with stove black a few year ago.

In the stores I've visited, I've only seen the ventless ones. Do they
make one that I can add a chimney too and vent the smoke outside?

They do. But there isn't any smoke-- you're venting moisture and hot
air.

I don't have the most air tight house in the world but it's not too
drafty either.

I don't have a propane tank so I will need to get one. I would also
get a CO detector, an O2 detector and and see if there is something
that will detect a gas leak. One stove I looked at already has a low
oxygen detector but I would want to make sure I have some sort of low
oxygen warning system if the stove doesn't have it or maybe even
double up on it even if the stove does.

O2 won't hurt--- but the CO & explosive gas detector is an absolute
must.

What other questions can you folks thing of I should be asking.

Some operate on a thermostat that uses degrees. Others have
'low-medium-high' dials. I wanted a thermostat with degrees, but
the missus fell in love with the design of the one we got & it had a
dial. It works fine.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Check with you building inspector. [and propane supplier] In my area
there is a limit to the number of BTU's a ventless can have determined
by the size of the room.

There is a world of difference in propane suppliers. Some will give
you a great deal on an appliance in order to hook you. I got a
free water heater once from one. a year later my contract with them
was up and I told them I was moving to someone else & they lowered
their prices.

Jim
Old November 1st 11, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:

-snip-
i have 2 propane (vented) fireplaces. every year before i turn on the
pilot i have to clean the inside of the glass to get rid of the soot, so
there must be something coming out of it that would go into your house
if unvented.

If you have soot, then your flame/air supply needs adjusting. Or
maybe you're burning up your logs-- are they charring?

Jim
Old November 1st 11, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 10:28 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

-snip-
i have 2 propane (vented) fireplaces. every year before i turn on the
pilot i have to clean the inside of the glass to get rid of the soot, so
there must be something coming out of it that would go into your house
if unvented.

If you have soot, then your flame/air supply needs adjusting. Or
maybe you're burning up your logs-- are they charring?

Jim

the logs are ceramic. i doubt that they'd char.

a good fireplace will have some yellow flames along with the blue ones
for looks. yellow means incomplete combustion, so there must be
something that is left over.
Old November 1st 11, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 10:27 AM, Country wrote:
I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

The pellet stove is to problematic and when it gets to the point it
needs cleaning it will dump still smoldering ash into the ash pan and
too much smoke gets into the house. And when the wind blows in a
certain direction hard enough in the winter it effects how easily the
smoke gets out the chimney and backs some of that up into the stove
and some of that gets into the house and the stove doesn't burn
properly. And when an igniter goes out and has to be replaced, it
almost always happens in the middle of the night and is a PITA to
replace.

Please tell us what brand and model pellet stove you have so we know
what to stay away from!
Old November 1st 11, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 10:27 AM, Country wrote:
I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

Be sure to crunch some numbers first, around here with the cost of
propane so high, it's almost as expensive as resistive electric heat.
For me to fork out the money for a propane heater makes it a deal breaker.
Old November 2nd 11, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:53:51 -0400, Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/1/2011 10:27 AM, Country wrote:
I'm seriously considering replacing my pellet stove that I use to heat
the downstairs of my house with a ventless propane stove.

Be sure to crunch some numbers first, around here with the cost of
propane so high, it's almost as expensive as resistive electric heat.
For me to fork out the money for a propane heater makes it a deal breaker.

Propane rarely makes sense BTU/BTU. I like the propane fireplace because it
only warms the area where we're sitting (which may even put it on par with the
heat pumps), looks nice, and is a *whole* lot easier than wood.