Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dishwasher water doesn't get hot

My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Usually, yes.

Check the water float sensor. It sometimes gets clogged with crud such that
it doesn't move freely.

Pull out the float and remove the caked-on nastiness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:47*pm, Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

In order for the element to heat the water it needs to be submerged.

Depends on the mfr & model as to how and when the heating element is
used for heating water.
In the dishwashers that I have owned (recently) it was necessary to
select "heated wash" or "heated rinse" to get the d/w element to heat
the water.

Not getting hot water could be a timer problem, a selection problem, a
switch problem, water level problem or a heating element problem.

Recently I was jammed up for time and got a local independent
appliance guy to help me out.
With respect to d/w "best practices", he recommend "Finish" as the
best performing d/w soap.
He also recommended running the hot water in the kitchen sink to purge
cool water from the d/w supply line.

These two suggestions, along with using Lemi-Shine, have greatly
improved d/w results.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've known people with dish washers. They have found it
useful to run the sink till the hot comes up from the
cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DD_BobK"
wrote in message

He also recommended running the hot water in the kitchen
sink to purge
cool water from the d/w supply line.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 2:47 PM, Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

the element will not necessarily be submerged. The main thing is to
have your incoming water at least 140 degrees.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message ...

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher.

Really?

Should a car be washed before taking it to the carwash?

Should I wash my clothes before putting them in the washing machine?

Should I dry my clothes before putting them in the dryer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

Balderdash!

With a suitable amount of TSP added to the dishwashing detergent, a
dishwasher WILL wash the dishes.

Somewhat exasperated with my current squeeze's hand washing before putting
dishes in the washer, I commanded: "STOP. Time to perform an experiment!"

Over her skepticism, we loaded the dishwasher with bowls encrusted with
dried chili, a skillet with baked-on egg remnants, glasses with milk residue
in the bottom, forks whose tines could not be seen inasmuch as they were
covered with some unknown food remnants, and a bunch of regular stuff.

Then we added my special concoction of powdered detergent, augmented by 15%
TSP.

Forty-five minutes later, the dishes came out super-clean, the cutlery was
sparkling, and my honey was VERY grateful (if you know what I mean).

When dishwashers first hit the market, manufacturers were perplexed that
they weren't selling. It was only THEN that they decided to do some market
research! They found that many (most?) women actually LIKED to wash dishes
by hand (God only knows why). The manufacturers changed their marketing push
to emphasize "sterilizing" rather than "washing" as a dishwasher's main
purpose.

Sales took off, because many (most?) women insist on "germ free" stuff (God
only knows why).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 4:07 AM, Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher
is more like a dish sanitizer...

How clean your dishwasher gets your dishes is a function of many
variables. In my experience, with a Kitchen Aid dishwasher from 1987
and a Maytag model from 2007, if the water supply is at least 120
degrees, you use the proper amount of dishwasher powder, use a rinse
aid, have soft or only moderately rich mineral content in your water,
and just scrape all easily removable food off the dishes before properly
stacking them, even the "short" cycle gets dishes, utensils and
glassware mirror finish clean. It generally takes us 3-5 days to fully
load the dishwasher, and the oldest dishes have dried food residue on
them for all that time. Usually that includes cereal bowls that held
oatmeal or cream of wheat. They still get completely clean with the
"short" cycle.

My point is that it is impossible to generalize on the minimal
requirements to get good results from a dishwasher. However, if you are
going to bother to fully wash them before putting them in the dishwasher
prior to trying less extreme actions, you are just wasting water, power,
and time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 1:07 AM, Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher
is more like a dish sanitizer...

LMAO!! Never have, never will. That's ridiculous!

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher
is more like a dish sanitizer...

Hi,
That sounds pretty ridiculous!!! Dish washer's job is cleaning
dishes/pots/pans. I don't know what kind of dish washer you are using,
you should chuck it for another. Waste lots of water doing that.
Using dish washer is to save water as well as sanitizing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 1:07*am, "Bill" wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

*** I don't have a dog in this fight, since we haven't used a
dishwasher for several years.
Just want to point out that newer dishwashers make a point of advising
users
NOT to rinse foot particles off dishes before stacking in
dishwasher.
I always thought that was strange.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 31, 1:07 am, "Bill" wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

*** I don't have a dog in this fight, since we haven't used a
dishwasher for several years.
Just want to point out that newer dishwashers make a point of advising
users
NOT to rinse foot particles off dishes before stacking in
dishwasher.
I always thought that was strange.

If you run the dishwasher immediately after eating, it will work fine.
Otherwise, you need the dog in the fight to remove crud that will dry on before
it gets run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 6:27 PM, Bob F wrote:

If you run the dishwasher immediately after eating, it will work fine.
Otherwise, you need the dog in the fight to remove crud that will dry on before
it gets run.

As I noted in my most recent previous post in this thread, that has not
been my experience. 4 day old dried oatmeal and other sticky residue
comes completely off using only the "Short" cycle. I've experienced
that with a 1987 model Kitchen Aid, and then when that one died in 2007,
a low-end Maytag model that I've had ever since. My water is not that
soft either - fine white residue is often visible on hand washed, air
dried glasses. I've used both Finish and Cascade basic powders with the
same good results, and have always used Jet Dry rinsing aid. Water
heater is set to about 120 and I've never had to let the kitchen hot
water run hot before starting the dishwasher, even in winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 04:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Usually, yes.

What do you mean by 'usually'? For most dishwashers or most of the time
during the washing cycle?

Check the water float sensor. It sometimes gets clogged with crud such that
it doesn't move freely.

Pull out the float and remove the caked-on nastiness.

I did that a few years ago, and yes, it was completely full of nasty
crud, and so I cleaned it up. The dishwasher had been overflowing.

I checked the float again lately, and it was not cruddied up like
before. I think it works okay.