Washing machine lint filters

Old October 30th 11, 01:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine lint filters

I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 30th 11, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Probably onto the most noticable parts of your clothing?
That, or the cat hair will clog the drain holes in the
washing machine basket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 30th 11, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 8:28 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Well, not entirely true. I have a new front loader that traps lint/hair
in the door gasket area. It's actually made to do that. But, I
congratulate you on buying a washer that actually puts the cloths in
water and gets them clean. If I didn't have other wants, needs, etc.
I'd dump this thing in a heartbeat.
Old October 30th 11, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hi,
RTFM. The info. is in thee. Ever heard of self cleaning trap?
Old October 30th 11, 03:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 8:28 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

There are lots of obviously dopey engineers designing appliances these
days...my last two washers are good examples. When I first bought a
washer without the cleanable lint trap, I called the dealer to ask if
there was one that was "hidden". He said the machine "automatically"
traps the lint, and then....drum roll....flushes the lint into the sewer
line.

The most recent idiocy is the temp setting on a Kenmore washer...the
usual cold, warm, hot...We kept the water heater set pretty low, so
"hot" wasn't really that HOT! Now said engineers, always trying to save
me from myself (they really should have gone to seminary) have an
automatic gizmo that, when the machine is set to "HOT", it mixes some
cold to keep that warmish hot water from damaging the machine. So the
mix thingy is constantly going off and on during fill, causing the hoses
to shake and a really irritating sound.

I'm old enough to get irritated with just about anything, like coffee
makers that beep when they brew, beep when they shut off the heat, dryer
that honks every five minutes to remind me to fold the clothes I don't
want to fold NOW. Fer Pete's sake, get rid of all the noise and lights
and just ... I suppose the next thing will be a mixer that shuts off
when the egg whites are sufficiently whipped...spare me!
Old October 30th 11, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

And, after you're too old to use lint filters, the nursing
home will probably drive you to insanity. They have a lot of
things that beep. EKG, and the nurse call bells that get
consistently ignored (by the nurses) while they beep and
drive the patients nuts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 30th 11, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 10:03 AM, Norminn wrote:
[...]

All the new appliances are to smart for their own good.

My fridge, constantly ices up in the ice-in-door path. Then, while you
are trying to get it cleaned out, it starts beeping that the door is
open too long. I've had Whirlpool out; obviously they can't fix this.
They even replaced the entire freezer door and it still ices up, even in
the winter when humidity is low. You have to start by putting down a
tarp because there will be ice and water all over the place. Then, you
have to beat on the ice bucket to break the ice holding in place. When
it finally breaks away, ice goes everywhere. Then you start chiseling.
DON'T BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Like my oven. You must broil with the door closed, so they say. Most
electric ovens say to broil with the door open. Well, if you do, when
the temp gets to 500, the upper broil element shuts down. Now, how are
you supposed to broil without the upper element cherry red? I have a
magnet which I put in the door latch gizmo to keep it on with the door
open ... and then, the temp never gets that high. ALSO, WHIRLPOOL.

And there are many more.

Old October 30th 11, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 8:28 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mine never had lint traps and we had cats and never had a drainage problem.
Old October 30th 11, 06:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:03:07 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I'm old enough to get irritated with just about anything, like coffee
makers that beep when they brew, beep when they shut off the heat, dryer
that honks every five minutes to remind me to fold the clothes I don't
want to fold NOW. Fer Pete's sake, get rid of all the noise and lights
and just ... I suppose the next thing will be a mixer that shuts off
when the egg whites are sufficiently whipped...spare me!

Can I get a big Amen!?
Old October 30th 11, 09:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap
on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes
tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten
years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old
machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go
now?

In the lint screen in the dryer, in the dryer body, and all throughout the
dryer ducting.

The "problem" with washing machine lint traps is that the consumers didn't
clean them out regularly, and they were a source of mold. My machine has
one, and I couldn't imagine purchasing a machine without one (I do keep it
cleaned regularly, of course).

Jon