plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

Old October 23rd 11, 04:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?
Old October 23rd 11, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 11:05*pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
* It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

@J Burns:

In what application ?

Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...

In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...

You wouldn't be using Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease for that
purpose at all...

The Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease you refer to above is used
to keep valve stems lubricated... The only thing you might use
teflon tape on near a valve stem is as a temporary repair to the
packing to stop it from leaking before you either properly rebuild
the valve or replace it...

~~ Evan
Old October 23rd 11, 06:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 8:05*pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
* It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief & recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Old October 23rd 11, 08:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/11 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Here's grease sold as a sealant:
http://www.superior-industries.com/s...oduct_241.html

Another product is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lube Sealant

Novagard G 624 is another grease sold for sealing and lubricating.

Water was leaking around the valve cartridge in my shower because the
housing was pitted. The valve grease completes the seal between the
o-rings on the cartridge and the housing. It may also prevent further
pitting.

A few years ago, the 9" pipe for the shower head got thin and broke. I
used teflon tape to screw in a new pipe. This helped me screw it in
tight, helped it seal, and could make it easier to unscrew later. In
the case of that shower pipe, what would be wrong with using a suitable
grease, instead? It could be easier and more foolproof than teflon tape.
Old October 23rd 11, 01:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:05 pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve
Grease. It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The
tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

@J Burns:

In what application ?

Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...

In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...

The avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier by
providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads that
provides the sealing of the joint.

Teflon tape does provide SOME sealing, but can't be counted on to provide a
complete one. If it did, pipe dope would not be required for certain
application.

Old October 23rd 11, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J *wrote:
[...]

grease, instead? *It could be easier and more foolproof than teflon tape.- Hide quoted text -

The standard for water plumbing is to use either teflon
or pipe dope, both of which are cheap and available
anywhere. Don't see why anyone would want to use
anything else.

What does the grease container say? Website?
Old October 23rd 11, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 5:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:
[...]

application.- Hide quoted text -

One major reason for not using teflon tape in certain applications is
the small pieces that get cut loose during the threading operation and
screw up equipment down stream. Thus it is bad to use it in hydraulic
systems.

I used to work in a farm equipmen manufacturing plant. We learned not
ot use it on the hydraulic systems frothat reason. Had seveeral
returns where we had to tear down and overhaul hydralic pumps due to
teflon in the close tolerance places. I suppose the same would be
true for gas lines.

Harry K
Old October 23rd 11, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2011 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was
always taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to
tighten the teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it
in bunches.
Old October 23rd 11, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2011 12:22 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was always
taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to tighten the
teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it in bunches.

Oops, I must be dyslexic today. I looked at it again and someone must
have inverted the picture from the 1st time I looked Sorry for the rant.
Old October 23rd 11, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 5:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:
[...]

Hey Bub-

Why do you insist on spreading this wrong information?

"avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier
by providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads
that
provides the sealing of the joint."

In several previous A.H.R threads it was clearly established
NPT threads DO NOT SEAL BY THREAD DEFORMATION.

The design & mfr of the threads create a spiral leak path between the
thread crests and valleys.
NPT threads, correctly cut, MUST HAVE A SEALANT TO NOT LEAK.

Only NPTF threads (dry seal) depend on thread deformation to seal.

I am amazed by your inability to absorb new information to replace
wrong information.