Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2011 8:51 AM, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Aluminum would be OK but any plastics, like the rope, would degrade more
rapidly exposed to sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote in news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@
4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Why provide extra means of entry for burglary?
They love people who leave ladders for them......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:33:52 +0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:

dgk wrote in
news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@ 4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Why provide extra means of entry for burglary? They love people who
leave ladders for them......

Hmm, isn't the aim for most burglaries to get into the house unseen as
quickly as possible - so entry via a lower window is preferable to
fetching a ladder and going in via the top (assuming that the upper floor
windows are closed, I suppose :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

The bottom of my deck joists are just under 6' above the ground, so I
can walk underneath it.

I screwed brackets to the block wall under the deck and hang my 28'
ladder on the hooks.

I attached some plywood to the bottom of the joists, sloped to form a
~1' "roof" over the ladder so that any water that drips through the
deck boards doesn't drip onto the ladder.

The ladder been stored that way for over 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Hi,
I have been doing it for years for my 32 feet ext. ladder, I hang it
under the eve. of tool shed when not in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:42 am, Jules Richardson
..

Hmm, isn't the aim for most burglaries to get into the house unseen as
quickly as possible - so entry via a lower window is preferable to
fetching a ladder and going in via the top (assuming that the upper floor
windows are closed, I suppose :-)

cheers

Jules

Andy comments:

Perhaps he is getting burgled by a midget ... :)))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Andy replies:

I leave mine outside and , after many years, have noticed no
deterioration in the metal.... HOWEVER, I use mine mostly for
cleaning out gutters, and have some shag carpet duct taped
around the top 2 feet so it won't scratch the gutter that U
set it against..... That deteriorates.... I am considering just
making some carpet "sleeves" that I can slip on an off.....
Just an idea...
Maybe some innovative inventor will make a product like that
and get rich ....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote in news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@
4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I keep a 28' ladder in my garage along a wall. I stack 2 cinder blocks
under both ends, lay the ladder down flat on them and cover with a couple
of long boards. Makes for a great storage shelf! Downside is you have to
empty the shelf to use the ladder.
TomC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard?

Depends on the wind. Crackheads around here can smell unsecured
aluminum of that weight for hundreds of... yards.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 9:43*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Hi,
I have been doing it for years for my 32 feet ext. ladder, I hang it
under the eve. of tool shed when not in use.

Same here. I keep it under part of the house eaves.
Been doing it for 15 years. The only concern I have is
that while the ladder is aluminum, the two bolts that
connect the latching part to the ladder are steel and
have rust on them. Probably not a big deal, as they
still appear to be intact and the rust probably is just
on the surface. Still, I do think about it when I'm on
the ladder.....

The rope deteriorated, but that's easily replaced. If
storing under a deck, I'd find some concrete blocks
or similar to keep it off the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message
news
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I leave all three of mine outdoors. Other than the rope rotting, and the
plastic on the pulleys if there are plastic pulleys, they wear well. I
would just place them somewhere they are somewhat protected, and you don't
have to dig through the snow to get at it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
news
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I leave all three of mine outdoors. Other than the rope rotting, and the
plastic on the pulleys if there are plastic pulleys, they wear well. I
would just place them somewhere they are somewhat protected, and you don't
have to dig through the snow to get at it.

I would agree with everything except that part about putting where
you don't have to dig it out of the snow. I would want it exactly where
I would have to dig it out of the snow. I can't think of a reason why I
would want to get on a ladder when it is that cold out, so any excuse I
can use is a good one (g)

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...the time to think about those bolts is *before* you're on the
ladder.

But you knew that, didn't you? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:14*am, TomC wrote:
dgk wrote in news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@
4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I keep a *28' ladder in my garage along a wall. I stack 2 cinder blocks
under both ends, lay the ladder down flat on them and cover with a couple
of long boards. Makes for a great storage shelf! Downside is you have to
empty the shelf to use the ladder.
TomC

I used to hang my 28' on a wall in my garage until I bought a 10'
aluminum step ladder.

Now the step ladder is hanging in the garage and the 28' is hanging
under the deck, under a small "roof" overhang to keep it clean/dry.

No room on the garage floor due to storage on one side and the dogs'
crates and the freezer on the other.

BTW...I bought the 10' Werner (essentially brand new) on eBay for $60.
Brand new, the ladder sells for ~$180. It was pick-up only about 350
miles from my house, but less than 30 miles from my Mom's house. I
paid the guy via eBay and he agreed to hold it for a month until I
went to visit Mom for Christmas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:14*am, TomC wrote:
dgk wrote in news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@
4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I keep a *28' ladder in my garage along a wall. I stack 2 cinder blocks
under both ends, lay the ladder down flat on them and cover with a couple
of long boards. Makes for a great storage shelf! Downside is you have to
empty the shelf to use the ladder.
TomC

Why not screw some shelf brackets into the studs and hang the ladder
on the wall?

With a few more cinder blocks you could keep the shelf on the floor,
but you wouldn't have to move anything to use the ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:51:04 -0400, dgk wrote:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I hang my ladders from the garage ceiling. I built boxes over the door to
hold the feet, then mounted 2x4s across the ceiling, with eye hooks in them. I
then hook ropes with doggy clips tied to the ends across the ladders to keep
them against the ceiling (and the feet planted in the boxes). A rope and
pulley makes them easy to put away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 11:34*am, "
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:51:04 -0400, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I hang my ladders from the garage ceiling. *I built boxes over the door to
hold the feet, then mounted 2x4s across the ceiling, with eye hooks in them. I
then hook ropes with doggy clips tied to the ends across the ladders to keep
them against the ceiling (and the feet planted in the boxes). *A rope and
pulley makes them easy to put away.

That's a pretty good idea.

I used to have one of those red folding trailers for which I made some
nice looking sides. I used to store the sides in much the same way
(above the garage door) by hanging them flat against the ceiling with
bungee cords and eye hooks. A step ladder was all I needed to get them
up and down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:55:32 -0700, Andy wrote:

On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Andy replies:

I leave mine outside and , after many years, have noticed no
deterioration in the metal.... HOWEVER, I use mine mostly for cleaning
out gutters, and have some shag carpet duct taped around the top 2 feet
so it won't scratch the gutter that U set it against..... That
deteriorates.... I am considering just making some carpet "sleeves" that
I can slip on an off.....

You can get rubber 'boots' that slip over the ends of the ladder for just
that purpose (although I suppose, being at the top, they should be called
gloves :-)

I normally just tie some cloth or something around the ends as/when
needed, though.

Both of my ladders just live in one of my open vehicle sheds, so they're
covered, but still exposed to damp air (but I need to be careful where I
put them as the front half of the sheds fill up with snow over winter).
Putting some hanging hooks on the back wall has been on the to-do list
for more months than I care to think about

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Jules- Hide quoted text -

Just curious...

"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"

Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
[...]

The boots are for if the ends are leaning against the structure. You should
always have the rungs _above_ the gutter if cleaning gutters. Having the
end of the ladder against the gutter, is a disaster waiting to happen. In
other words, the boots are pretty much useless when cleaning gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Just curious...

"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"

Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?

You might be a redneck if ..............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2011 7:50 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In om,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
news
[...]

winter storm blowing a hole in the roof that you want to cover?

hanging the xmas lights at last minute, or taking them down in jan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:59:14 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 10/20/2011 8:51 AM, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Aluminum would be OK but any plastics, like the rope, would degrade more
rapidly exposed to sunlight.

Not much sunlight under MY deck - don't know about yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Oct 2011 13:33:52 GMT, Sjouke Burry wrote:

dgk wrote in news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt@
4ax.com:

I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Why provide extra means of entry for burglary?
They love people who leave ladders for them......

Chain it to the deck support with a padlock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 10/20/2011 8:51 AM, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Aluminum would be OK but any plastics, like the rope, would degrade more
rapidly exposed to sunlight.

Not much sunlight under MY deck - don't know about yours.

Obviously you need a higher deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
[...]

A hoop of EMT on the top that rests on the roof keeps the ladder off
the gutter. A carpeded wooden box tht slides onto the top of the
ladder and bungies to the top rung protects the siding when I need to
put the ladder against the wall
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 1:01 pm, wrote:

A hoop of EMT on the top that rests on the roof keeps the ladder off
the gutter. A carpeded wooden box tht slides onto the top of the
ladder and bungies to the top rung protects the siding when I need to
put the ladder against the wall

Andy comments

That is a damn good idea. Thanks for posting it...
I'm gonna definitelly give that idea a try

Maybe a cardboard box to slip over the ends instead
of the carpeted wood box...... I'll figure it out.... The
local Moslem liquor store throws them out every day of
about the right shape....

You are a genius !!!

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas PE

PS The comment someone made about the ladder being
higher than the gutter, for safety, is a very good one.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

As long as you take precautions so that only you can use the ladder,
like storing it in a way such as described by DerbyDad03 but adding
a set of chains and padlocks to secure it so that only you can use
it...

Burglars would love access to a ladder, there are many places on
a house where with a simple screwdriver you can gain access to
a man sized opening if you have a vented attic... Also many people
often forget to lock windows on upper floors assuming that no one
would ever be able to climb up that high to make use of them...

But you could just install those hangers inside your garage and
keep your ladder up and out of the way inside where you won't
have to worry about it being exposed to the elements or being
something easily accessible to burglars...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

I put a couple of large screws into the back of the house and that's
where the extension ladder hangs. Makes nice shelves until I need the
ladder, maybe once every two or three years. Plenty good enough for the
gals I go with. Main problem I have with that ladder is neighbors
wanting to borrow it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 2:29*pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:

[...]

If a burglar wants to go through the trouble to go under my deck,
wrestle the ladder out, prop it up against the house, extend it and
climb it so he can start checking windows to see if he can find one
that is unlocked, all the more power to him.

After a decade or so of having the ladder hanging under my deck, I'm
not about to start chaining it up.

But you could just install those hangers inside your garage and
keep your ladder up and out of the way inside where you won't
have to worry about it being exposed to the elements or being
something easily accessible to burglars...

You are assuming that there is room on the walls for the ladder. My
ladder was moved outside because I need the wall space for items that
belong in the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Might want to try rubber pipe insulation. It's cheap enough & already split
for slipping over the ladder.

I used it for protection on my aluminum ladder rack, which is over my truck
cap. I used to haul aluminum ladders, and with the aluminum rubbing the
aluminum rack, the rack starting wearing. Didn't any more after I put the
pipe insulation on.
Similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...atalogId=10053

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:48:23 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In the states we have an extremely technical term for that type of
building:

We call it "a shed without a door". ;-)

ha ha! :-) Filed away for future reference...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Myself, and other contractors store ladders on the roof of
the van all year. The dogs corrode, and need to be sprayed
with PB Blaster before use. Springs rot out. But, overall,
the ladders survive some how.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message
news I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other
year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the
garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get
wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the
extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself
develop
problems?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Oct 20, 10:14*am, TomC wrote:
dgk wrote in
news460a7t3rkbe2qdlcjoojhcmp5niidkegt

@
4ax.com:

Why not screw some shelf brackets into the studs and hang the ladder
on the wall?

Çinder block wall with propane and ac lines along it.

With a few more cinder blocks you could keep the shelf on the floor,
but you wouldn't have to move anything to use the ladder.

With the end stacked blocks (32" high) under each end, I have open storage
underneath the ladder. Lots of light weight stuff on top and heavy stuff
underneath. And, having only to use it once every other year is not a big
problem; the area needs a good sweeping by then anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2011 3:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 20, 3:42 pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:24:20 -0700, Steve B wrote:
wrote

Just curious...

"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"

Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?

Yeah, that's the critter :-) We're on an old farm and have a couple out
back which will take two (large) vehicles each (plus a big enclosed
garage nearer to the house, so the sheds mostly get used for random
storage).

Maybe there's a better term for them (I'm an ex-Brit and we would have
called them 'open' there, even though they have walls on 3 sides, but I
suppose that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense!)

cheers

Jules

In the states we have an extremely technical term for that type of
building:

We call it "a shed without a door". ;-)

I always heard them called tractor sheds.

Much like carports, really, since the walls usually don't go down to
grade level.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 10/20/2011 8:51 AM, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Aluminum would be OK but any plastics, like the rope, would degrade more
rapidly exposed to sunlight.

Not much sunlight under MY deck - don't know about yours.

Obviously you need a higher deck.

Didn't think of low deck. Mine's 10 ft, enough to grow stuff in pots on
patio below
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:42:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

The bottom of my deck joists are just under 6' above the ground, so I
can walk underneath it.

I screwed brackets to the block wall under the deck and hang my 28'
ladder on the hooks.

I attached some plywood to the bottom of the joists, sloped to form a
~1' "roof" over the ladder so that any water that drips through the
deck boards doesn't drip onto the ladder.

The ladder been stored that way for over 20 years.

That's a much better idea than just leaving it on the ground. I can
probably manage that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:18:27 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:51*am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard?

Depends on the wind. Crackheads around here can smell unsecured
aluminum of that weight for hundreds of... yards.
-----

- gpsman

Someone earlier suggested locking the ladder to a deck post so it
can't be used to break into the house. The lock should solve both
problems I hope.