Sealant for aluminum panel roof

Old September 28th 11, 05:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealant for aluminum panel roof

I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?
Old September 28th 11, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair
LdB

On 9/28/2011 10:16 AM, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

This is the best I've found. Still holding in one spot after five years.

http://www.sashco.com/hi/lexel.html

LdB
Old September 28th 11, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

Have you thought about applying a strip of aluminum over the seams? I'm
thinking 2-3" wide, bedded in a good caulk (urethane?) and fastened with
sheet metal screws with a gasket. Like "board and batten".

Being under the batten and thus protected from UV, the bedding material
should stay good. I've never tried this, just a thought. BTW, I wouldn't
use epoxy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old September 28th 11, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:16:18 -0700 (PDT), JP
wrote:

I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Look into Butyl rubber caulk (or possibly urethane).

"Butyl Rubber® Caulk is a high performance product that is ideal for
sealing exterior gutters, corrugated roofing, pipes, aluminum and
vinyl siding, lap joints, flashing, roof vents and drain spouts.
Provides an insulated, watertight seal for areas exposed to the
elements.

For use on: aluminum/metal, plastics, rubber, concrete, wood, vinyl,
mortar and stone"

http://www.wlcaulk.com/products/rubber_caulks/butyl_rubber_caulk/index.html

--
GO Gators!
Old September 28th 11, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 11:16*am, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. *Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. *I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. *The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? *I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. *The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. *Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

There are rolls of pressure sensitive tape (similar to roofing
membrane) with an aluminum/mylar show surface. Available in 5", 8"
widths as I recall. I used it for just what you describe.
Old September 28th 11, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 10:16*am, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. *Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. *I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. *The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? *I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. *The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. *Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

Just wire brushing wont remove everything that can contaminate it and
ruin a bond, a strong solvent is needed like alcohol or laquer
thinner, Silicones have expiration dates, Ive had silicones not get
hard or not bind from using old stuff sitting on store shelves to
long. I would think a good fresh silicone would work,also temperature
of the roof and humidity will affect a bond.
Old September 29th 11, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2011 11:16 AM, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

Post some pictures somewhere with a link back here, and we can give much
better advice. Kinda surprised there isn't a lap joint of some kind up
there to prevent exactly this problem. Most metal roof panels I have
seen, the panels overlap by 1 bump. The interlocking bumps always give
the water a lower spot to run to.

--
aem sends...
Old September 29th 11, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 10:16*am, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. *Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. *I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. *The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? *I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. *The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. *Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

how about some sort of membrane over the entire roof?

Aluminum roof sealant HCT Home Repair 0 June 3rd 10 11:26 PM
Roof and Gutter sealant ARWadsworth UK diy 7 July 12th 07 10:35 AM
miracote as roof sealant [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 01:00 AM
painting over aluminum sealant? [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 18th 06 07:03 PM
sealant (plexiglass/aluminum joint) Frank Thompson Home Repair 1 March 7th 06 01:14 PM