Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Old September 11th 11, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.
Old September 11th 11, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

Old September 11th 11, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.

If you find a good commercial plumbing supply house near you that will sell to
the public, they will likely have what you want. It probably won't be super
cheap, but it will fit properly and last.

If you've seen a place with a big yard outside of 20 foot lengths of all kinds
of pipe, including big diameters, that might be the place.

Old September 11th 11, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Old September 11th 11, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all the
cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct tape is
still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone through hot
summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old September 11th 11, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That might help with a couple trouble spots I have on bends.

Old September 11th 11, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:02:51 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 11, 10:52*am, dpb wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of work for little money, and by
the time all the glue/tape is purchased, why bother. Give or sell the
1/2 inch stuff to someone else and buy what you need.

In a normal house, the cold water pipes are 3/4 inch (Inside Dia).
You didn't say if you have copper, plastic or galv steel pipe, but be
sure to get the right size. You could have actual 1 inch ID pipe, but
my bet is it's 3/4 inch.

Old September 11th 11, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2011 10:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I've used electrical tape in the past, works well. You don't have to
wrap the insulation completely, just make a spiral around it or for long
perfectly straight runs just a ring around it every couple feet. In
fact, I was going to do same thing you're doing this afternoon, but for
different reasons (energy savings, and in the interest of bringing as
much hot water as possible to the shower - both I and roommate subscribe
to the "set the shower to 'third degree burn' and then dial it back two
notches" method of setting water temperature...)

I did some insulating in my parents' basement w/ that split pipe
insulation stuff and 3M electrical tape maybe 20 years ago for reasons
of condensation (incoming water pipe from a very deep well) and as far
as I know it's still in place. I got all fancy with mitering the
corners and such to make it look nice

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.