DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/328398-pipe-insulation-made-black-foam-rubber.html)

millinghill September 11th 11 04:44 PM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

dpb September 11th 11 04:52 PM

On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

Bob F September 11th 11 05:02 PM

millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.

If you find a good commercial plumbing supply house near you that will sell to
the public, they will likely have what you want. It probably won't be super
cheap, but it will fit properly and last.

If you've seen a place with a big yard outside of 20 foot lengths of all kinds
of pipe, including big diameters, that might be the place.

[email protected][_2_] September 11th 11 05:02 PM

On Sep 11, 10:52*am, dpb wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.

willshak September 11th 11 05:08 PM

millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all the
cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct tape is
still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone through hot
summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

dpb September 11th 11 05:34 PM

On 9/11/2011 10:02 AM, wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:52 am, wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.

Me, neither, but that wasn't the question.

Bob F September 11th 11 05:35 PM

willshak wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That might help with a couple trouble spots I have on bends.

[email protected] September 11th 11 05:56 PM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:02:51 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 11, 10:52*am, dpb wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of work for little money, and by
the time all the glue/tape is purchased, why bother. Give or sell the
1/2 inch stuff to someone else and buy what you need.

In a normal house, the cold water pipes are 3/4 inch (Inside Dia).
You didn't say if you have copper, plastic or galv steel pipe, but be
sure to get the right size. You could have actual 1 inch ID pipe, but
my bet is it's 3/4 inch.

Nate Nagel September 11th 11 06:23 PM

On 09/11/2011 10:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I've used electrical tape in the past, works well. You don't have to
wrap the insulation completely, just make a spiral around it or for long
perfectly straight runs just a ring around it every couple feet. In
fact, I was going to do same thing you're doing this afternoon, but for
different reasons (energy savings, and in the interest of bringing as
much hot water as possible to the shower - both I and roommate subscribe
to the "set the shower to 'third degree burn' and then dial it back two
notches" method of setting water temperature...)

I did some insulating in my parents' basement w/ that split pipe
insulation stuff and 3M electrical tape maybe 20 years ago for reasons
of condensation (incoming water pipe from a very deep well) and as far
as I know it's still in place. I got all fancy with mitering the
corners and such to make it look nice :)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel September 11th 11 06:24 PM

On 09/11/2011 11:02 AM, Bob F wrote:
millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.

If you find a good commercial plumbing supply house near you that will sell to
the public, they will likely have what you want. It probably won't be super
cheap, but it will fit properly and last.

If you've seen a place with a big yard outside of 20 foot lengths of all kinds
of pipe, including big diameters, that might be the place.

Lowe's sells 1" split pipe insulation, I was just there this morning. I
interpreted the OP's post to mean that he wanted to use what he had
rather than having to buy more new stuff.

nate

DanG September 11th 11 08:23 PM

On 9/11/2011 10:44 AM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:44 am, wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Tie wraps.

There is an adhesive made for this stuff:
http://www.armaflex.com/www/armacell/INETFAQ.nsf/IDP/1D63FFFF98977B238025709E000CB18D

Evan[_3_] September 11th 11 08:25 PM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sep 11, 10:44*am, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

@Theodo

Cutting pipe insulation that is designed for 1/2" pipe in half will
not adapt it to fit pipes that are 1"...

You will have two pieces that will not even touch when on the
pipe... You would have to scoop out the material on each half
of the insulation so that it fits a 1" pipe...

Go to a supply house or home center and purchase what you
actually need...

~~ Evan

[email protected] September 11th 11 11:21 PM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 07:44:34 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Buy the same stuff made for 1" pipe. It is readily available from
good plumbing and building supply houses.

[email protected] September 11th 11 11:25 PM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

millinghill wrote:
[...]

What he needs to buy in order to use what he has will likely cost as
much as buying what he needs - and he'll still have the old stuff left
for another job (or to put on his hot water lines)

Bob F September 12th 11 12:09 AM

Evan wrote:
[...]

Good point, since he wants to cure condensation. Any air leaks at all will just
contilue the condensation, but slow it drying out, which may result in mold or
mildew.

Oren[_2_] September 12th 11 01:07 AM

wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Pool Noodles are going on sale soon. Dense foam. Some that are 3/4"
core in the center. You have the split them with razor blade.

http://cdn.nexternal.com/poolcenter/images/wacky-swimming-pool-noodles-3819.jpg

They don't have to be black :-/

Stormin Mormon September 12th 11 02:24 AM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

The electric tape spiral works, for me. There is now wide,
black tape that is UV resistant. For outdoor use, probably
not an issue in a cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon September 12th 11 02:25 AM

Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Pool noodles also good (when split properly) for low
doorways, where you hit your head.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus