Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of urinals. Short question follows long explanation.

You can skip the long explanation and go directly to the short question
by scrolling down to the line of asterisks, but the explanation is
needed to explain why it can't be done economically any other way.

My office in is a mostly underground 1/2 basement. It does have the
usual basement windows (5 of the 30" x 18" hopper type in two concrete
walls) and a bilco door to the outside rear of the house.
The other half of my house's footprint is on a ground level slab.
I have both a septic tank and an underground dry well (grey water tank
for sinks, showers, clothes washer, dishwasher, and water softener
discharge).
The pipe for the septic tank is on the far end of the house under the
concrete slab. The pipe and cleanout for the dry well is just to the
right of me here in the basement.
When the house was built, a separate drain pipe for the bathroom sinks
and showers on the far end of the house was run under the slab for the
dry well on the opposite end of the house (just outside my basement office).
I have no water facilities in my basement at the moment, not because I
can't have water or dry well access, but because I just haven't
installed it yet. I've only lived here since 1984. :-)
I intend to install a utility sink near the dry well clean out.
Along with a drain pump like the Sanishower to pump the drainwater up
above the drywell cleanout (about 4 feet off the floor). I can run hot
and cold water from the water heater utility room that is about 10' away
from the dry well pipe and cleanout. I have a dropped ceiling in the
basement so I can run pex from the water heater room to the utility sink
over the ceiling panels.

Now that you have all the above information, and I hope I wrote it
intelligently enough for you to grasp the situation, here is the second
set of facts and the question.
I am 73 years old and have a severe prostate problem. I may have to
urinate 10 or more times a day. As it is now, I have to go up a flight
of stairs to the ground floor, and then to the opposite of the house to
urinate.

*********************

What would be the problem if I installed a urinal next to the future
utility sink and pump drained that along with the utility sink into the
drywell? I understand that urine is sterile and contains nitrogen and
other chemicals that are probably less toxic than some of the chemicals
that run through the grey water drains.
P.S. I am being polite here. I could just as easily urinate into the
utility sink without having a urinal.

By the way, I did google the question but found nothing about this.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

willshak wrote in
m:

[...]

Google waterless urinal. I've been to a few in public places and was
amazed at the lack of stink. Don't quite know how they work, though ...
snicker

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote

What would be the problem if I installed a urinal next to the future
utility sink and pump drained that along with the utility sink into the
drywell? I understand that urine is sterile and contains nitrogen and
other chemicals that are probably less toxic than some of the chemicals
that run through the grey water drains.
P.S. I am being polite here. I could just as easily urinate into the
utility sink without having a urinal.

By the way, I did google the question but found nothing about this.

I don't know the answer, but I'd take a different route. Instead of a
urinal, I'd install an ejector toilet and take care of anyone's toilet
needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

[...]

They still need to drain somewhere.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

"willshak" wrote

What would be the problem if I installed a urinal next to the future
utility sink and pump drained that along with the utility sink into
the drywell? I understand that urine is sterile and contains nitrogen
and other chemicals that are probably less toxic than some of the
chemicals that run through the grey water drains.
P.S. I am being polite here. I could just as easily urinate into the
utility sink without having a urinal.

By the way, I did google the question but found nothing about this.

I don't know the answer, but I'd take a different route. Instead of a
urinal, I'd install an ejector toilet and take care of anyone's toilet
needs.

The Sanishower I mentioned is an ejector system. It can pump liquid up
to 10 feet high. My question was if I should drain the urinal contents
(#1) into a dry well, nothing more.
The SaniFlo company also makes a macerator pump that will pulverize
solids (#2), but I don't have to make that many trips to the bathroom
daily and I wouldn't want to pump solids into the dry well.
http://www.saniflo.com/products/inde...ng/en/type/all

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP

What would be the problem if I installed a urinal next to the future
utility sink and pump drained that along with the utility sink into
the drywell? I understand that urine is sterile and contains nitrogen
and other chemicals that are probably less toxic than some of the
chemicals that run through the grey water drains.
P.S. I am being polite here. I could just as easily urinate into the
utility sink without having a urinal.

By the way, I did google the question but found nothing about this.

Assuming you find some reason to _not_ to pump urine into the drywell,
have you considered using a Port-A-Potty ??

http://www.adventurerv.net/thetford-...per-p-621.html

It could be emptied as needed (once a day ??) into your regular
toilet. And could also handle the occasional #2 as necessary. Should
not get too heavy to carry upstairs with 1 persons output per day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 4:45*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

I don't see any problem at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote
The Sanishower I mentioned is an ejector system. It can pump liquid up to
10 feet high. My question was if I should drain the urinal contents (#1)
into a dry well, nothing more.
The SaniFlo company also makes a macerator pump that will pulverize solids
(#2), but I don't have to make that many trips to the bathroom daily and I
wouldn't want to pump solids into the dry well.
http://www.saniflo.com/products/inde...ng/en/type/all

I'd not pump anything into the drywell, thus the suggestion for an ejector
toilet. It goes into the regular sewer or septic, the way it is supposed to
be taken care of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of urinals. End of Message.

willshak wrote the following:

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Do not respond any further unless it is to another responder.
EOM
Over and out.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

I'd pee in the sink. Nothing like having a client conference in a toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
[...]

I don't have clients. I am retired and not in any business.
Over 43 years of my 73 years were spent in the military and law
enforcement, which means that in 13 years when I am 86, if I live that
long, I will break even between service and non-service years.

My computer and hobby workshop is down here in the basement. It also
serves as a man-cave where I can lounge on my couch in my underwear, and
watch my own cable TV while others upstairs are watching 'American
Idol', 'Dancing with the Stars', "Ghost Whisperer", or some other crap.
My basement is sacrosanct. It does not contain anything belonging to
anyone else. I just call where I am sitting in front of the computer in
a corner of the basement an office. I have done and do some website
creation and maintenance, pro bono, for sites I am interested in, but
most times just conversing in usenet. My hobby workshop is in another
part of the basement. BTW, my hobby is model building, especially stuff
from WWII, which frightened me when I was a child between 4 and 7 years
old living in the Bronx, NY.
Tomorrow, I am going to relive the horror of 9/11 that I was watching on
CNN from before the very first strike on the South Tower until CNN went
off the air when the North Tower collapsed and took the CNN antenna down
with it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:53:25 -0400, willshak
wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

[...]

I've got pretty much the same setup.
But my wife also watches a lot of Lifetime and Jewelry TV.
Heh.
And I have a laundry down here with a double deep sink.
I sometime **** in quart container I keep on the back of the sink.
Pour it into the drain. That way I don't splash **** all over the
sink. The drain goes to the sewer system.
Mostly only do it if I have to **** real bad, somebody's in the
bathroom, or my wife is sleeping and I don't want the squeaky floors
to wake her.
You might not like this, but at your age walking upstairs to ****
might be real good for you exercise wise.
Keep a jug for emergencies.
I keep my smokes upstairs on the kitchen table just so I have to walk
upstairs to get one. That makes sure I'm climbing the stairs 25-30
times a day and can't chain smoke.
I'm health conscious that way.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2011 9:53 PM, willshak wrote:
(snip)

Tomorrow, I am going to relive the horror of 9/11 that I was watching on
CNN from before the very first strike on the South Tower until CNN went
off the air when the North Tower collapsed and took the CNN antenna down
with it.

I'm either gonna keep the tube off tomorrow, or maybe watch some of the
backlogged stuff on the overflowing DVR. I have no wish to ever see any
of that footage again. I remember that day like it was no more than a
month ago. They sent us home from our federal building out here in the
boondocks at noon, and I spent the afternoon logged into the agency
email server (mail wasn't locked down back then) answering email from
all over the world, and watching the news on TV for about 18 hours
straight, till I fell asleep on the couch. Not the MOST disturbing day
in my life, but definitely in the top five or so.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

[...]

I do have a 5 gallon FreshStep kitty litter container left over from the
time we had a cat that I use now. I have to drag it up the stairs at
night when no one is around to dump it in the toilet, but I find that
rather demeaning.
My only question is what harm would it do to empty urine into a dry well
meant to accept grey water.
By the responses so far, no one here knows

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

[...]

The guy I bought from had prostate problems and a business office in the
basement so I inherited this when we bought the house. Between the exercise
I get going to the basement and the water it saves compared to a toilet
flush I use it most all the time. The Ajax bottle is actually a weak
solution of bleach & water that I find eliminates the men's room smell when
I give the urinal a squirt after I'm done with mine.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...dis/0002-1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

willshak wrote in
:

wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

[...]

We had to tell my sister's French ex-husband that there were several
things he shouldn't do when visiting us. Smoking his pipe in the car.
Peeing on the compost heap. The latter was what he was used to on his
parents'farm in the south of France - he explained it added much-needed
nitrogen to the compost.

But, for real, if your urine isn't sterile, there is something really
wrong with you and you should see a doctor. Other than that, it is rich
in nutrients, so by all means pee where you want in your yard, but rinse
it away so no aminals go after it ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"tom" wrote in :

The guy I bought from had prostate problems and a business office in
the basement so I inherited this when we bought the house. Between the
exercise I get going to the basement and the water it saves compared
to a toilet flush I use it most all the time. The Ajax bottle is
actually a weak solution of bleach & water that I find eliminates the
men's room smell when I give the urinal a squirt after I'm done with
mine.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...dis/0002-1.jpg

Just don't mix bleach and ammonia.

--