wood window, alum track

Old September 7th 11, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood window, alum track

Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

Old September 7th 11, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:10:46 -0700 (PDT), teabird
wrote:

Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

Search for _architectural salvage_.

You might find a local place or they can give an idea to locate parts.

Post a picture so we can see what you have. Post the link here.
Old September 8th 11, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/07/11 4:10 PM, teabird wrote:
Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

A picture would be worth a national debt worth of words.

That said, I used to have wood windows with aluminum tracks and spiral
balances, similar to those shown here, but much, much older. They were
in the house when I moved in close to 25 years ago, and they were old then.

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2011/0...ce_s3x4_lg.jpg

(I replaced all of my windows with VRW a few years back, otherwise I'd
post a picture of what I had)

Anyway, I remember replacing a couple of the tracks when the spiral
balances broke.

One of the big box stores that was around at the time (not an HD or
Lowes) carried universal spring-loaded tracks. The right side was just a
set of tracks that screwed into the rough opening.

The left side was a "double layered track" with springs inside it. You
pushed the left side of the sash against the spring-loaded track and
compressed it until you could swing the right hand side into the other
track. When you released the pressure, the springs held the sash firmly
in the tracks and the resistance held it in whatever position you wanted
it.

I Googled around trying to find them but I didn't have any luck.

If they're still available, they might work for you.

Old September 8th 11, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

Had the same problem with a Friend's house. The windows are 40+
years old - with no manufacturer's marks - and nobody in the window
business in the area has ANY idea what brand they are, or where to get
parts. They are being replaced.

Old September 8th 11, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"teabird" wrote in message
Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

There was and still may be retro-fit kits that will work with any window.

All the stores want to sell you is replacement windows. By the time you
price it all out that may still be the cheapest.

Start with Blaine windows parts, and there is another company whose name I
can not recall at the moment. Will find the catalog and provide the name if
you reply to this post.

--
Colbyt

Old September 8th 11, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 8:26*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"teabird" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. DerbyDAd03 above has the same
windows.

I'll probably have to replace them, but I love the look of all wood,
single pane windows. And, of course, they have all been stained to
match the trim.

I guess ultimately, I could create some wooden tracks, don't know how
to handle the balancing, but could keep the sashes.

Thnx to everyone.

John

Old September 8th 11, 06:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

teabird wrote:
Hello,

I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum
tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to
stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old.

I have asked around the home center and lumber supplier and everyone
tells me I need to know the manufacturer. I've had the windows out of
the openings and tracks removed, and can't see a manufacturer's
mark. I've performed web searches and find wood windows with ropes
and pullies, and newer 2x glaze, al clad or low maintenance plastic
window parts. My windows seem to be in between these in technology.

Does anyone know where or how to find these parts?

TIA,

John

One place you could try looking is: http://www.swisco.com . Their website
has lots of pictures to choose from to help decide what you need and what
may work. They are located in Camden, NJ but do most of their window and
door parts via the Internet, I think.

Old September 8th 11, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 12:45*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
teabird wrote:
[...]

This site has a discussion forum and they promise a human will read
it! My best lead so far,

Thanks,

John
Old September 8th 11, 07:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:45:37 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

One place you could try looking is: http://www.swisco.com . Their website
has lots of pictures to choose from to help decide what you need and what
may work. They are located in Camden, NJ but do most of their window and
door parts via the Internet, I think.

And another: Channel balances for double hung window sashes.

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.php?cPath=85_113