Leaking Amerigas Propane Tank,--Amazing Service

Old August 31st 11, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
SMS

Default Leaking Amerigas Propane Tank,--Amazing Service

One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.
Old August 31st 11, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.

You should also be made aware that they sell 15 pounds of propane in a
tank designed to hold about 20 lbs
Old August 31st 11, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Old August 31st 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.

Still in shock about what? They could be the most miserable company in
the world but there are rather large liability issues involved with
flammable gases. They would be absolutely stupid not to quickly respond.
Old August 31st 11, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

It is for the convenience (easier to carry) of those folks who like big
box.
Old August 31st 11, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:39 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Spark--flammable gas?
Old August 31st 11, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 31st 11, 07:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 31st 11, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

Old August 31st 11, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Still in shock about what? They could be the most miserable company in
the world but there are rather large liability issues involved with
flammable gases. They would be absolutely stupid not to quickly respond.

If you report a natural gas leak with Centerpoint Energy (Houston area)
they respond within 15 minutes. I don't know if that is a law, or just
their minimum safety response time.

propane tank date [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 29th 07 03:38 PM
65 gal propane tank: How full? Dan Home Repair 14 May 25th 07 08:30 PM
BBQ Propane Tank Dave Combs Home Repair 8 February 13th 05 12:13 AM
Snow on propane tank DS Home Repair 8 February 6th 05 12:15 AM
Mini Max and an AMAZING story of customer service Tbone Dano Woodworking 11 May 22nd 04 08:03 PM