Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

Old August 17th 11, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm
room wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the
walls in any way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...lockshelf.jpg/

The shelf is to hold a clock radio. Last year I used strips of Velcro on
the sides and it held for a few months, but eventually the weight of the
clock and it's use (pushing buttons) caused the Velcro to pull off of
the wall.

I then added the dowel (again using Velcro) mounted at a 45 degree angle
below the shelf to support the front and it worked fine, but I didn't
like the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mount the shelf so that it
holds without the dowel? 3M Command strips? Removable Silicon adhesive?

Yes, I am aware that any surface mount that I use could fail because of
the paint on the walls, but let's assume that the paint will hold.

Thanks!
Old August 17th 11, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:50*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It's probably just the size of the picture and the way the shelf fills
the frame, but the shelf looks thick and heavy. Is it? You don't
mention what the wall surface is. Drywall, concrete block, plaster?

If it's drywall you might think about those Hercules Hook things. Two
of those would hold it and the holes left would be tiny. A dab of
toothpaste with a little coloring in it is the usual way for a tenant
to cover up a hole cheaply and quickly.

Old August 17th 11, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 9:00*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

The Sharpie was placed there as perspective to help viewers judge the
size, but I guess it didn't work as well as I had hoped. My bad!

The shelf is made from 3/4" veneered pine with 1" high strips of the
same material used as the side rails. The rails are there mainly for
aesthetics and to give me some more surface to add Velcro to. In other
words, the shelf is not very heavy. The sides are 1 3/4" high,
including the rails and the shelf itself, but the rails themselves are
only 3/4" thick. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is a 1"
gap between the bottom of the shelf and the band saw table because the
shelf is supported by the side rails.

FWIW, the back corner is cut off to allow for the clock's power cord
to hang down behind the shelf when it's mounted in the corner above a
bed.

I have similar shelves for some small speakers in my house and I used
screws and/or toggle bolts through the side rails to mount them to the
walls. Unfortunately, I can't screw into the walls at either of my
girl's colleges, so the shelf must be surface mounted.

The walls are most likely block or plaster since it's an old dorm
building. Definitely not drywall. They are painted, so I know that I'm
at the mercy of how well the paint holds up. As I said, the shelf
worked well last year once I added the dowel as a brace, but it
doesn't look as clean as just the shelf alone.
Old August 17th 11, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

I would suggest a painters "push-up" pole. Use an appropriate sized conduit
clamp , mount it to the shelf,around the pole. Then simply set the push -up
against the wall and extend to get compression. Did a similar thing in a
rented apartment once, but with several shelves attached to the pole (mini
speakers.) For appearance sake, your daughter could wrap the pole with some
snazzy type ribbon as a decoration!

Bill in Plano

Old August 17th 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 11:45*am, "Bill Hall" wrote:
[...]

Bill in Plano- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill, that's an interesting concept.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with a "painters push-up pole" and
Googling the term wasn't much help (lots of hit for fiberglass attenna
masts).

Is it something I'll find if I run over to a big box store or
dedicated paint store?

Old August 17th 11, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:50*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm
room wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the
walls in any way.

There are about 1000 other ways to position a clock radio so it is
accessible from a bed. Why do you feel the need to intentionally
handicap yourself by limiting the solutions to THIS shelf?

Personally, I'd try Command strips. If not by sticking the shelf
directly to the wall, then by hanging the shelf from 3-4 Command Hooks.
Old August 17th 11, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2011 8:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 17, 9:00 am, wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:50 am, wrote:

[...]

3m vhb tape. with a lower 45 support to prevent torquing the shelf off,
it might be impossible to remove, but it doesn't leave holes in the wall.

Old August 17th 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 12:00*pm, wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:50*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm
room wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the
walls in any way.

There are about 1000 other ways to position a clock radio so it is
accessible from a bed. Why do you feel the need to intentionally
handicap yourself by limiting the solutions to THIS shelf?

Personally, I'd try Command strips. If not by sticking the shelf
directly to the wall, then by hanging the shelf from 3-4 Command Hooks.

I don't know how much time you've spent in college dorm rooms, but
some of them are pretty small and will typically house 2 and sometimes
3 students. Space is at a premium.

Both of my daughters have their beds "lofted" so that they can use the
area underneath for a futon. Since their beds are essentially the
highest surface level in the room, there really aren't "about 1000
other ways to position a clock radio so it is accessible from a bed" -
at least not in a location where it can easily be set/snoozed/reset
with a simple reach of the hand.

In the case where we used the shelf last year, the only other place
for the clock radio would have been on the window ledge which is
probably about 3 feet below the top of the matress and behind the
curtains. Not exactly a prime location for a clock radio. You wouldn't
even be able to *see* it from your pillow, never mind being able to
set/snooze/reset it easily. Imagine if you had to place your clock
radio on the floor, a foot beyond the head of your bed and behind a
curtain. How accessible would you consider that?

As a matter of fact, my daughters sleep in bunk beds at home and the
one in the top bunk has a similar corner shelf (screwed to the wall)
for her clock radio. She also has a second shelf that she uses to
charge her cell phone and ipod while keeping them within easy reach of
her bed. I made them for her bedroom many years ago and they work so
well that I made some more for their dorm rooms.

The corner shelf solution is ideal for a dorm room or any room with a
raised bed. My daughter has had comments like "Wow...I wish my dad
would make me one of those! It's only the mounting that's a bit of
pain when you don't want to/aren't allow to damage the walls.
Old August 17th 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:10:51 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

3m vhb tape. with a lower 45 support to prevent torquing the shelf off,
it might be impossible to remove, but it doesn't leave holes in the wall.

Right. He can say "I didn't damage the wall, I just added to it."

--Vic
Old August 17th 11, 07:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:42:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Check this out.

http://www.dormco.com/Bed_Post_Shelf_p/dormco-bps.htm

--Vic