Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toddler Died From Consuming A Battery

"A Las Vegas toddler died a few weeks ago, and the reason for his
death wasnt immediately clear. His illness began when he started
coughing blood, and doctors couldnt figure out what was making the
child ill. The culprit wasnt identifiable in an X-ray: a small
coin-shaped battery.

We think of small batteries as watch or hearing aid batteries, but
theyre found in a variety of small electronic devices now. Some of
these inevitably find their way into kids mouths, because thats what
kids do. "

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/30/autopsy-shows-toddler-died-from-consuming-a-battery/

"..Julian Wilson was almost two years old when he died from ingesting
a small battery Oct. 18."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas-toddler-dies-swallowing-small-battery
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:28:48 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
"A Las Vegas toddler died a few weeks ago, and the reason for his

death wasnt immediately clear. His illness began when he started

coughing blood, and doctors couldnt figure out what was making the

child ill. The culprit wasnt identifiable in an X-ray: a small

coin-shaped battery.

I think that part is a bit misleading. It wasn't specifically
identifiable as a battery, but they aren't saying that the
foreign object didn't show up in an x-ray. From that I would
conclude they saw it, but they didn't know specifically what
it was. If you have a kid coughing up blood and see a
foreign object on the x-ray, you would think that would be
enough to get the proper treatment started. They don't
say what was or wasn't done to treat him. Sounds like
another one of those costly malpractice suits to me.

We think of small batteries as watch or hearing aid batteries, but

theyre found in a variety of small electronic devices now. Some of

these inevitably find their way into kids mouths, because thats what

kids do. "

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/30/autopsy-shows-toddler-died-from-consuming-a-battery/

"..Julian Wilson was almost two years old when he died from ingesting

a small battery Oct. 18."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas-toddler-dies-swallowing-small-battery

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:28:48 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
"A Las Vegas toddler died a few weeks ago, and the reason for his

death wasnt immediately clear. His illness began when he started

coughing blood, and doctors couldnt figure out what was making the

child ill. The culprit wasnt identifiable in an X-ray: a small

coin-shaped battery.

I think that part is a bit misleading. It wasn't specifically
identifiable as a battery, but they aren't saying that the
foreign object didn't show up in an x-ray. From that I would
conclude they saw it, but they didn't know specifically what
it was. If you have a kid coughing up blood and see a
foreign object on the x-ray, you would think that would be
enough to get the proper treatment started. They don't
say what was or wasn't done to treat him. Sounds like
another one of those costly malpractice suits to me.

No autopsy was performed?
I would think that they should if that object showed up during an Xray
and they couldn't identify what it was.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 1, 2013 8:11:33 PM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, per the article, that's when they identified it
as a battery.

I would think that they should if that object showed up during an Xray

and they couldn't identify what it was.

You would think they wouldn't wait until the kid was dead.
With a seriously ill kid vomiting up blood and an X-ray showing
an unknown foreign object, you would think they would take immediate
action to find out what the object was. Depending on where the
object was, eg stomach, they might be able to do that without
an endoscope Also, besides X-rays, there are other tools,
CT scan. Don't know if that would help indentify it or
not. But you would think with a very ill kid and an unknown
foreign object, they wouldn't just leave it there until he
died.

The article really has very little info on what was or
wasn't done, the timeline. It's possible the kid showed
up at the ER, they took an X-ray, and before they could do
much else, the kid died.

My main point was that Oren said the "culprit wasn't identifiable
on an X-ray". That left me with the initial impression that it
didn't show up at all, which I thought odd. Reading the article, it did
show up, it's just that they couldn't specifically identify it
as a battery. If that kid was alive for any length of time after
the X-ray, sounds like a malpractice case to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:28:48 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
"A Las Vegas toddler died a few weeks ago, and the reason for his

death wasn’t immediately clear. His illness began when he started

coughing blood, and doctors couldn’t figure out what was making the

child ill. The culprit wasn’t identifiable in an X-ray: a small

coin-shaped battery.

I think that part is a bit misleading. It wasn't specifically
identifiable as a battery, but they aren't saying that the
foreign object didn't show up in an x-ray. From that I would
conclude they saw it, but they didn't know specifically what
it was.

Your conclusion sounds correct. The article at the second link also
mentions the x-ray. They word it a little more clearly in that article...

"They didnt know what it was in the X-ray. They didnt figure out it was
a battery until they did the autopsy, she said."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas-toddler-dies-swallowing-small-battery

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2013 5:28 PM, Oren wrote:
"A Las Vegas toddler died a few weeks ago, and the reason for his
death wasnt immediately clear. His illness began when he started
coughing blood, and doctors couldnt figure out what was making the
child ill. The culprit wasnt identifiable in an X-ray: a small
coin-shaped battery.

We think of small batteries as watch or hearing aid batteries, but
theyre found in a variety of small electronic devices now. Some of
these inevitably find their way into kids mouths, because thats what
kids do. "

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/30/autopsy-shows-toddler-died-from-consuming-a-battery/

"..Julian Wilson was almost two years old when he died from ingesting
a small battery Oct. 18."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas-toddler-dies-swallowing-small-battery

That's tragic. I'm guessing the bereaved
parents are a total emotional wreck.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Japanese took care of this particular issue years ago.
doctors some times act like a robot not using their diligence and brains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:26:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

A back doctor I went to in Boston did not identify an inquisition device George H W Bush and the CIA stuck in my back. It could be kryptonite because the MRI he sent me to almost killed me when it began wobbling around in my back.
X-rays aren't ****. WE need a violent overthrow of the US government and the Justice cartel beaten to death with baseball bats.

Toddler killed by cut off plug Tim Downie[_3_] UK diy 11 March 25th 11 05:33 PM
Toddler killed by cut off plug BluntChisel UK diy 4 March 19th 11 09:08 AM
Anyone know of a way of listing all the books in my Amazon ShoppingCart--To Buy Latter? I have a considerable number, and working my way throughthe list is time consuming. W. Watson Home Repair 1 March 3rd 08 05:19 AM
TODDLER BED J T Woodworking 0 March 1st 06 06:20 PM
TODDLER BED J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 01:06 AM