Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default Wood Furnace fan doesn't run long

My 18 year old house has a combination Wood and Electric pushed air furnace.

I'll start a fire and eventually the fan starts... typical and expected.

I question what follows. The fan will run for 1 to 2 minutes. In the beginning the ducts barely have time to warm up so the air isn't hot when it comes out.
After a few minutes, the fire is roaring and produces plenty of heat. I even added a tiny 4" fan on the flue pipe to propagate the heat in my shop.

So if this 4" fan is enough to make a small difference in my shop, why isn't the furnace running longer at times?

I had the furnace inspected last winter/spring time. A fuse had popped. He checked it over and said there was nothing wrong with it.

Is there something I can do? I asked if the fan could be upgraded to a two speed fan. I figured that it could run on a lower temperature.

Any advice appreciated.

My last DIY thought was to attach 2x 4" fans on the duct outlet in my shop and having it on a 4-6 hour timer. Fans were free and both would cover a floor vent type duct elbow nicely... this way less of the heat would be wasted up the flue
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 07:53 AM, cln wrote:
[...]

I'd set it up to be thermostatically controlled to run whenever heat is
present rather than just the first two minutes. A two speed fan is not a
bad idea.

The way my furnace is set up...if the room temperature does not come up
to the thermostat setting within ten minutes, it kicks into high.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

I'd set it up to be thermostatically controlled to run whenever heat is
present rather than just the first two minutes. A two speed fan is not a
bad idea.

There is a thermostat for the furnace. One upstairs and one the Fan Switch
http://inspectapedia.com/heat/0759s.jpg.
I do sometimes turn on the manual switch but if left on after the fire is out, it will only blow cold air...of course. I wish that switch would be upstairs instead then I would be less prone, and lazy, to turn it off.

The technician seemed to think otherwise about the two speed fan. But this is just one guys opinion

thanks Philo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 8:53 AM, cln wrote:
[...]

Is the short run by design? Or is it a bad thermal relay that is
shutting it down? You can hook it up to run as long as s certain
temperature is reached.

Is the fan taking heat from a heat exchanger or directly from the burner
where it could cause an overdraft? Many possibilities here.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Is the short run by design? Or is it a bad thermal relay that is

I assume that the fan is blowing on it and cooling the Fan switch faster than MY liking.
I did talk to the furnace guy back then about it and he said it worked ok

shutting it down? You can hook it up to run as long as (a) certain
temperature is reached.

I'll double check the Fan switch settings.

Is the fan taking heat from a heat exchanger or directly from the burner
where it could cause an overdraft? Many possibilities here.

hmm, hard to answer this one since I can't see the entire inerds of the furnace.
it goes something like this. in a u shaped process;
•‘•‘
•š•ť

•‘†“Air flows by the 1 pipe flue
•‘†“, then through the filters,

•š †’ here sits the blower and motor
•ť†‘then the unknown wood box
†‘ •‘that holds the electric furnace coils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:53:19 -0700 (PDT), cln
wrote:

My 18 year old house has a combination Wood and Electric pushed air furnace.

You can tell it's the new generation, where every child wins a trophy,
even when he comes in last, and parents don't whip their children
anymore, and even the furnace air is treated more gently than it used
to be.

We always had forced air furnaces, but now they just push the air. I
guess APS** gets called if you try to force it.

**Air Protective Services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 08:42 AM, cln wrote:
I'd set it up to be thermostatically controlled to run whenever heat is
present rather than just the first two minutes. A two speed fan is not a
bad idea.

There is a thermostat for the furnace. One upstairs and one the Fan Switch
http://inspectapedia.com/heat/0759s.jpg.
I do sometimes turn on the manual switch but if left on after the fire is out, it will only blow cold air...of course. I wish that switch would be upstairs instead then I would be less prone, and lazy, to turn it off.

The technician seemed to think otherwise about the two speed fan. But this is just one guys opinion

thanks Philo

Though the two speed fan is optional, I'd find someone who can set it up
so that the fan runs when heat is being produced rather than just the
initial two minutes.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:42:45 AM UTC-4, cln wrote:
I'd set it up to be thermostatically controlled to run whenever heat is

present rather than just the first two minutes. A two speed fan is not a

bad idea.

There is a thermostat for the furnace. One upstairs and one the Fan Switch

http://inspectapedia.com/heat/0759s.jpg.

IDK what that picture is supposed to represent. You say you
have a wood/electric furnace. This pic is of a gas furnace.
The rest of the post is confusing too. You say the fire gets
roaring, the fan comes on for one to two minutes, and then what?
Fan shuts off for good? Fan cycles on/off? Without knowing
more, how it's wired, impossible to say what's going on.

I do sometimes turn on the manual switch but if left on after the fire is out, it will only blow cold air...of course. I wish that switch would be upstairs instead then I would be less prone, and lazy, to turn it off.

The technician seemed to think otherwise about the two speed fan. But this is just one guys opinion

thanks Philo

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

We always had forced air furnaces, but now they just push the air. I

Well Mike, maybe my furnace only pushes the air and should be kicked and beaten so it forces it instead!! I'll install a second blower!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:14:01 -0700 (PDT), cln
wrote:

We always had forced air furnaces, but now they just push the air. I

Well Mike, maybe my furnace only pushes the air and should be kicked and beaten so it forces it instead!! I'll install a second blower!

You'll get better heat that way. Just don't let the neighbors find
out, or they may call the police.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:11:06 AM UTC-4, cln wrote:
Is the short run by design? Or is it a bad thermal relay that is

I assume that the fan is blowing on it and cooling the Fan switch faster than MY liking.

If that's what happening, then the fan should be cycling on
and off until the desired temp in the house is reached,
but you don't say what's going on. If the fan is cycling,
what temps are the fan switch set to go on and off at.
What happens when it's using electric instead of wood?
Too little info here to go on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Well Mike, maybe my furnace only pushes the

air and should be kicked and beaten so it forces
it instead!! I'll install a second blower!

You'll get better heat that way. Just don't

let the neighbors find
out, or they may call the police.

Long as they can't hear the screams?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 8:53 AM, cln wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need a fan limit switch. Temp activated, blows when
there is heat. I'd make some phone calls, and see if you can find a
different repair tech.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:
[...]

Does heat come out the heat registers even when the fan is not running? Maybe
this is a convection system, and the fan is only there to "prime" the system
with warm air to start the convection. IF so, it should use very little
electricity, and continue to work when the power is out.

Otherwise, I'd check the thermo-switch that turns the fan on when it warms up
and replace or adjust it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:20:11 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
cln wrote:

[...]

You have an example of a furnace where the fan is there
only to "prime" it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:

[...]

I don't think these are so common anymore, since they invented the
self-priming furnace. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:

[...]

Many really old furnaces were convection furnaces. No, I don't have an example.
I was just hypothesizing based on the symptoms. If the convection is strong
enough, it could keep the temp at the exchanger low enough to not need the fan.
Admittedly, it's not a likely possibility.

Then I suggested where the problem is more likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My grandparents home in NYC built about 1900 had a gravity hot air system. The pipes were huge, I am guessing 2' in diameter and went from the furnace to the rooms on the first floor, and one big pipe went up to the center of the second floor. Return air was down the open stairs all the way to the basement. Circulation was strictly on the basis of the heated air rising.. A fan to help circulation would have made a big difference. Coal was the fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Octopus furnace is a perfect description. I remember having to crouch down to get under the pipes almost anywhere in the basement near the Octopus furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
Octopus furnace is a perfect description. I remember having to crouch
down to get under the pipes almost anywhere in the basement near the Octopus furnace.

A former co-worker's grandmother lived on the family farm. I visited with
him a few times and he once showed me the coal burning octopus furnace. It
had an electric screw-style shaft that would bring up one piece of coal per
"fin" and dump it on top of the burning coal. It was one of the earliest
auto feeds made.

How would you like a furnace like this...very pretty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Po%C3%AAle.jpg